Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Real Time.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knutsfordlion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Real Time.
    Posted: 09 March 2018 at 10:06pm
I have to admit that when you slow down the disallowed try frame by frame, then there was a slight separation.
However, I feel the final decision should be taken when watching in real time, as that showed a good try.

Also the benefit given to the attacking side.

To be fair, their try was hardly conclusive !!!

Page the oracle
Sponsored Links

ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2018 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by knutsfordlion knutsfordlion wrote:

I have to admit that when you slow down the disallowed try frame by frame, then there was a slight separation.
However, I feel the final decision should be taken when watching in real time, as that showed a good try.

if that was the case their 2nd try would have been given too.
30th june 1986- 30th june 2011.25 years roofing,i wouldn't call that dodgy.
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2018 at 10:28pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

Originally posted by knutsfordlion knutsfordlion wrote:

if that was the case their 2nd try would have been given too.

Their 2nd attempt at a try was a case of who did it? You need slow motion for that.

In the case of Tom Williams’s effort, it was a case of what happened and no need to slow it down. He was doing everything positively and the ball went backwards while his body overtook the ball slightly. Why on earth you call advantage over before the try, rather than after, as it’s an all or nothing call?

Interested on others’ views.

PS Ladram, if there 2nd attempt was a try, your Northampton Bank would really have been a hotel.
Any offence taken on board is only a literate/cy consequence. Every attempt at humour is just that. No personal insult intended. Standards lowered for trolls.
joni_bach View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joni_bach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2018 at 10:35pm
This type of TMO decision has annoyed me time and time again. Surely if there is separation before the ball is grounded, it's only relevant if the ball is knocked forward. If it goes backwards then obviously play on, but if it drops vertically, surely it can't be a knock on? I've seen so many tries not given in this way. Is there something in the rules separate to the knock-on rule which penalises separation?
Legendinmybathroom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2018 at 10:37pm
Their second try was ruled out by Nigel as the tv pictures showed the try scorer kicking the ball onto the heel of the Leinster player standing in front of him before falling on the rebound. Nigel made the correct call that the ball came back off an offside Leinster player first.
stevve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2018 at 10:37pm
To be fair, had it did look like Tom didn't have the ball under control and in his hands, which Nigel explained with his mic.
I'm sure he's more well up on the legislation than I am so although it looked good in real time, the VR was actually right to check it and chalk it off.
The Leinster try on the other hand didn't seem as clear as day, with the ball not obviously played immediately after the tackle and the player not releasing it in the [beep].
Just my thoughts though, in all I'm happy with the result, conditions suited the bigger pack but Tadgh was once again the difference between a result and a loss.
dantheman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dantheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2018 at 10:43pm
It's probably wasn't a try as there was a separation between ball and arm but Nigel got the advantage call completely wrong. He definitively said when we went over, try scored advantage over.

So given that we lost the ball in contact before the try was scored the advantage wasn't over and he should have gone back to the penalty.
Rob o'r Bont View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2018 at 10:55pm
Originally posted by Legendinmybathroom Legendinmybathroom wrote:

Their second try was ruled out by Nigel as the tv pictures showed the try scorer kicking the ball onto the heel of the Leinster player standing in front of him before falling on the rebound. Nigel made the correct call that the ball came back off an offside Leinster player first.
I thought you couldn't be offside in the ingoal area.  
That's the Scarlets, its in their DNA.
cat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2018 at 11:08pm
Shame varndell didn't scoop the ball up at the end to score, it would have been a debut to remember.
He was close to be fair.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2018 at 11:49pm
Originally posted by Rob o'r Bont Rob o'r Bont wrote:

Good point, I’m not 100 sure but you’d expect Nigel and the TMO to know the rules better than us supporters. If they got that wrong then we got away with that one.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2018 at 12:18am

Good point, I’m not 100 sure but you’d expect Nigel and the TMO to know the rules better than us supporters. If they got that wrong then we got away with that one.
I'm not sure either mate. Maybe one of the refs on here could enlighten us.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2018 at 8:19am

I'm not sure either mate. Maybe one of the refs on here could enlighten us.
Didn't sleep all night so went to the rule book this morning and found out that yes you can be offside in the in-goal area in open play.  Seems that our Nige knows the laws better than me. Embarrassed

Edited by Rob o'r Bont - 10 March 2018 at 8:20am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2018 at 9:41am
Glad to see that Nigel knows the rules. It was his decision to go to the TMO to check and it was he that made the call after reviewing the footage and discussing it with the TMO. Nigel could be clearly heard asking the TMO to play the footage, stating that he believed that the Leinster player kicked the Ball into his teammate who was in front of him and then fell on the rebound.
My concerns would be that I don’t believe that we would have got that decision with a weaker referee, and if that had been away they probably wouldn’t have been able to find any footage to show the ball coming back off the player in an offside position meaning that the referee would probably have to give the benefit of the doubt to the attacking team and therefore give the try.
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2018 at 11:55am
I couldnt help but think, if the ball leaves the hand, but doesnt touch the floor or another player before the hand is back in contact its not a knock on. Your are alowed to regain control even if the ball goes forward providing no other player comes into contact, and it doesnt hit the floor 1st.

I thought after the initial seperation he regains contact a split second before grounding.

No gripes tho i can quite see why a tmo would not allow it. Lets just hope we get one going our way like that. away from home, with a home ref and a home tmo lol.

Oh and the Leinster dissallowed try from the chargedown, that tmo was almost going to award it until Nige asked to watch it again. The tmo didnt want to look more than once, and was trying to get Nigel to award the try.

Shocking. Nige had a good game but that tmo had my heart in my mouth. The varndell knock on at the end was a comical decision. 
SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2018 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by Speedy Speedy wrote:

I couldnt help but think, if the ball leaves the hand, but doesnt touch the floor or another player before the hand is back in contact its not a knock on. Your are alowed to regain control even if the ball goes forward providing no other player comes into contact, and it doesnt hit the floor 1st.

I thought after the initial seperation he regains contact a split second before grounding.

No gripes tho i can quite see why a tmo would not allow it. Lets just hope we get one going our way like that. away from home, with a home ref and a home tmo lol.

Oh and the Leinster dissallowed try from the chargedown, that tmo was almost going to award it until Nige asked to watch it again. The tmo didnt want to look more than once, and was trying to get Nigel to award the try.

Shocking. Nige had a good game but that tmo had my heart in my mouth. The varndell knock on at the end was a comical decision. 
Exactly. If that was in Kingspan with an Irish TMO that would have been brushed under the carpet.
Never forget them not putting up footage of Nick Williams’ shoulder charge against us, maybe on Barclay?
peterh64 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peterh64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2018 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by Speedy Speedy wrote:

No if the ball goes forward towards the try line from your hands and you regather it has gone forward  otherwise carnage would ensue!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic