Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Recruitment/Leavers.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Recruitment/Leavers.
    Posted: 08 October 2018 at 9:35am
Its an opportune time for us to use the benefit of hindsight and assess the players we lost and recruited from last season. I assume we will select a full strength team for next Saturday so I put my thinking hat on and selected our current best team. In doing this I have assumed everyone is fit & also we have available the four players who left us. My team would be :-

15. Halfpenny 14. Jonny 13. Foxy 12. Scott 11. Steff 10. Rhys 9. Cawdor
1. Rob 2. Ken 3. Samson 4. Jake 5. Beirne 6. Aaron 7. Cubby 8. Blade

16. Ryan 17. Wyn 18. Werne 19. Cummins 20. Barclay 21. SMC 22. O'Brien 23. Asquith/Parkes.

I appreciate this is totally hypothetical but the one thing it makes me realise is that the business of recruiting Blade was our stand out piece of business closely followed by SHC. Both Clayton & Casseim have some work to do to establish themselves in our first choice 23 but will come into their own during November & Feb-March 2019. The biggest surprise of the season so far the form of young Kennedy. Both Asquith & Kennedy have been revelations & are proof of why our management team are currently head & shoulders above anything in any other region. 

Sponsored Links

Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2018 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Its an opportune time for us to use the benefit of hindsight and assess the players we lost and recruited from last season. I assume we will select a full strength team for next Saturday so I put my thinking hat on and selected our current best team. In doing this I have assumed everyone is fit & also we have available the four players who left us. My team would be :-

15. Halfpenny 14. Jonny 13. Foxy 12. Scott 11. Steff 10. Rhys 9. Cawdor
1. Rob 2. Ken 3. Samson 4. Jake 5. Beirne 6. Aaron 7. Cubby 8. Blade

16. Ryan 17. Wyn 18. Werne 19. Cummins 20. Barclay 21. SMC 22. O'Brien 23. Asquith/Parkes.

I appreciate this is totally hypothetical but the one thing it makes me realise is that the business of recruiting Blade was our stand out piece of business closely followed by SHC. Both Clayton & Casseim have some work to do to establish themselves in our first choice 23 but will come into their own during November & Feb-March 2019. The biggest surprise of the season so far the form of young Kennedy. Both Asquith & Kennedy have been revelations & are proof of why our management team are currently head & shoulders above anything in any other region. 

Some good points well made.

However, the overriding sense I’m left with is one of relief that I don’t have to check your Christmas present wish list 😉

It is a good academic germ of a thread though.
Any offence taken on board is only a literate/cy consequence. Every attempt at humour is just that. No personal insult intended. Standards lowered for trolls.
Haruki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Haruki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2018 at 1:22pm
Surely Parkes would be in before Scott
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2018 at 3:00pm
for me Scott and Foxy had their best games with Parkes as a partner. As a partnership Foxy and Scott didnt quite gel for me.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2018 at 9:01am
I am picking based on form shown this season. I personally don't think with Scott at 12 that Bundi Aki would have terrorised us as he did. Parkes is totally off colour so far this season & on form he doesn't deserve to start ahead of Asquith - again that is my personal opinion. 
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2018 at 9:18am
Although arguably Tadhg is the biggest loss for many, Barclay is for me. His work at the breakdown and leadership was exceptional. I think he always raised the game of players around him and a guy you want on the pitch when things get tough plus he had great balance with Cubby and Shingler also. I am biased due to his years service for us and am not sure how good he is/would be this season so a direct comparison with the younger Blade is hard. In reality, he's gone now and Blade is the man and I really like what I've seen so far. Different types of players yes, but you can see Blade is such a talented player and someone to build a backrow around over the next few seasons, which hopefully that Cubby/Blade/Shinger BR can be - although I don't think we will be the same turnover machine we were previously, which will change our counter-attacking game quite a bit.

Edited by dr_martinov - 10 October 2018 at 9:20am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic