Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Recruitment policy of Pivac

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 20>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote haydn_davies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2018 at 1:57pm
I can see the new U23 competition bringing the best out of some of our youngsters.

Could very well see some players shining at this level and progressing into the 1st's.
Think, think, think - it's a thinking man's game!! - The Great Carwyn James.
Just for our SA friends - Weste is die beste!
Sponsored Links

aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2018 at 2:05pm
Reading the Cheetahs programme the other day, it seemed to me that the Scarlets had quite a few young players on the books already - Conbeer and Baldwin, of course, but also a couple of young 9s and a couple of hookers, plus a few others... I have no idea if/when these guys will break through into the regional side, but they are definitely 'there' in the background.

In another thread, one poster suggested that we were getting a bit thin at hooker, with the risk (for Scarlets) that both Ken and Elias might be in the Wales squad, Emyr P retiring etc. Not so long ago, we had hookers coming out of our ears, with the Myhill brothers as well as those mentioned. It's a really tricky business keeping a balance of all positions in the squad... who'd be a coach, eh? Let's hope that the young hookers can step up when required (I think it's "when", not "if".)
I share no-one's ideas. I have my own.
(Ivan Turgenev)
SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2018 at 2:13pm
The players best poised to benefit from the u23 team are, not including Conbeer/Baldwin/Rogers

Rhys Fawcett - large athletic loosehead, slow progression since getting up to senior rugby so far.
Daf Hughes - Fast and strong hooker. Had a really good Wales u20s career.
Josh Helps - Another who has had slow progression, bigger second row who was highly thought of when he was younger.
Shaun Evans/Tom Phillips - Both very talented with good u20s appearances (Grand Slam winners) but injury prone so far.
Morgan Williams - talented back 3 player, 7s background, looked good in pre season last year.
Scott Lloyd - Big strong 12 who can kick too.
Tomi Lewis - Huge talent at 15. Highly thought of.
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2018 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by SospanMawr SospanMawr wrote:

The players best poised to benefit from the u23 team are, not including Conbeer/Baldwin/Rogers

Rhys Fawcett - large athletic loosehead, slow progression since getting up to senior rugby so far.
Josh Helps - Another who has had slow progression, bigger second row who was highly thought of when he was younger.
Shaun Evans/Tom Phillips - Both very talented with good u20s appearances (Grand Slam winners) but injury prone so far.
Morgan Williams - talented back 3 player, 7s background, looked good in pre season last year.
I think Fawcett has been released
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2018 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Really? Have to say I think keeping Dylan and releasing Fawcett will be a terrible piece of business long term.
surfing-mtber View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surfing-mtber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2018 at 2:58pm

Dan Davies? Looks very promising.
Joshua24:15
Llywarch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Llywarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2018 at 3:03pm
Think we're well covered at hooker, Taylor Davies is a very good prospect. Would expect him along with Dafydd Hughes would be very good options as 3/4 choice. 

Not sure of any props coming through currently though I note Javan Sebastien has come on a lot since his return from Scotland. And with the migth Simon Gardiner we should be well covered for a while.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2018 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by surfing-mtber surfing-mtber wrote:

Dan Davies? Looks very promising.
Agreed but I’m hoping we get a year of 6) Tom 7) Shaun 8) Boyde/MacLeod and Dan Davis gets his shot from the bench.
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2018 at 3:18pm
Javan Sebastian is now around 26, but props almost always take longer to develop than other positions and he certainly looks the part in the Premiership. Maybe part of the problem is that our most promising developing players are distributed about the Premiership feeder clubs, which may or may not have  the same targets/qualities as the Scarlets, even if they spend most of their time training at P Y S.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2018 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

Javan Sebastian is now around 26, but props almost always take longer to develop than other positions and he certainly looks the part in the Premiership. Maybe part of the problem is that our most promising developing players are distributed about the Premiership feeder clubs, which may or may not have  the same targets/qualities as the Scarlets, even if they spend most of their time training at P Y S.
He’s 23..
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2018 at 3:42pm

Really? Have to say I think keeping Dylan and releasing Fawcett will be a terrible piece of business long term.

According to the programme in the last game, one of our props - and I'm pretty sure it was Fawcett - was listed at only 93kg... this may have been a mistake - but if not, that's too small for a regional prop. These stats no longer appear to be on the website, or if they are, I can't find them to check.
(Ivan Turgenev)
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2018 at 3:55pm
Can never have enough good props. Wyn has been a revelation to be fair.

There’s a slot for all front row positions over the next 2~3 years for sure. There’s a perennial shortage of Welsh qualified second rows too.
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2018 at 4:13pm
According to the La Rochelle programme Fawcett was 116Kg compared to Sebastian's 125 Kg - but as Javan is only155cm tall, that 125kg is packed into a pretty stocky body!!  I think Javan likes a bit of leg-pulling, or tackling as it's known in some places.
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2018 at 4:26pm

Really? His Sis works with me. Shame if so.
We're still still here!
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2018 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

According to the La Rochelle programme Fawcett was 116Kg compared to Sebastian's 125 Kg - but as Javan is only155cm tall, that 125kg is packed into a pretty stocky body!!  I think Javan likes a bit of leg-pulling, or tackling as it's known in some places.

That certainly seems more likely than the 93 kg on the programme!

As for Javan, he reminds me of a larger (and, I hope, nastier) version of Benny the Ball, from Top Cat! Doesn't look athletic enough for regional rugby, but who knows?
(Ivan Turgenev)
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2018 at 7:47pm
No doubt forwards reach their peak later than backs...although there’s always an exception, like Ryan just now for Leinster.

We’ve tried a few local front row boys in the squad in the last few years, for reasons I’m clueless to offer any insight on, they haven’t quite come through. I guess that’s why we haven’t to reach out to Phil Price and the rejuvenated Simon Gardiner this season.

Helps is a guy I’ve always wanted to see get a run. He’s 23 now. Time to become a squad feature this season maybe?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 20>
  Share Topic