Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Recruitment policy of Pivac

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 20>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surfing-mtber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2018 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by dyniol53 dyniol53 wrote:

Originally posted by T_RICHARDS_94 T_RICHARDS_94 wrote:

Although it's a different sport, Pep Guardiola spoke about his recruitment policy the other day and his comments were very similar. They look more at the personality of the player sometimes before deciding whether to sign or not. It's to make sure they have "good people" and can adapt to the culture. It's working for them and it's working for us!

Great read too.

Yes, i think I read that too, v interesting!

The All Blacks have their "No d***heads" policy but also I've seen a few similar examples outside sport so for example Adam&Eve DDB, the people who make the John Lewis adverts say you "must be talented AND nice" to work there and I read the other day that you can't get a job at Netflix if you're a "brilliant jerk" 

One bad apple spoils the broth!

Let's not let the cooks loose in the barrel then! LOL
Joshua24:15
Sponsored Links

1carmscarletsfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1carmscarletsfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2018 at 1:59pm
dyniol53 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2018 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by surfing-mtber surfing-mtber wrote:

Originally posted by dyniol53 dyniol53 wrote:

Originally posted by T_RICHARDS_94 T_RICHARDS_94 wrote:

Although it's a different sport, Pep Guardiola spoke about his recruitment policy the other day and his comments were very similar. They look more at the personality of the player sometimes before deciding whether to sign or not. It's to make sure they have "good people" and can adapt to the culture. It's working for them and it's working for us!

Great read too.

Yes, i think I read that too, v interesting!

The All Blacks have their "No d***heads" policy but also I've seen a few similar examples outside sport so for example Adam&Eve DDB, the people who make the John Lewis adverts say you "must be talented AND nice" to work there and I read the other day that you can't get a job at Netflix if you're a "brilliant jerk" 

One bad apple spoils the broth!

Let's not let the cooks loose in the barrel then! LOL

Too many apples LOL
DJ
glyndwr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote glyndwr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2018 at 7:14pm
Pivac to me has a very "Moneyball" kind of recruitment style. Always finding those gems who are solid players with high ceilings but not given the chance or yet to break through.

Also looks like Jeff Hassler is leaving the Ospreys this summer. Always rated him and I reckon he'd fit in well down Parc.
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2018 at 9:54pm
There's a little bit of aggression, a la Lowe in Hassler, and although not our usual type of signing he'd be a useful squad player if not too expensive.
SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2018 at 10:22pm
Agree would like to see Hassler here however he is NWQ and injury prone so not sure it’s the smartest move. Good player though.
Mugwuffin View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mugwuffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2018 at 10:31pm
Hassler has been quite injury prone over the last couple of seasons. His hands and pace aren’t great either. He’s been a useful ball carrier for the Ospreys, but I doubt he’d fit in particularly well with the way we want to play.
ScarletBear View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2018 at 1:47am
Wan't Hassler the wing who opened the door for Josh to score in the PYS derby over Christmas? If so, he obviously likes us.
Scarlets before Wales
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2018 at 9:44am
Originally posted by ScarletBear ScarletBear wrote:

Wan't Hassler the wing who opened the door for Josh to score in the PYS derby over Christmas? If so, he obviously likes us.

No that was Dirksen.

Hassler would thrive in our environment IMO. Never give up type character whether thats to chase down an attacker or a support run.
One of if not the most consistent performers for the Ospreys in the last 5yrs IMO. And knows where the try line is. he's a finisher.
Cant get over the Ospreys have not offered him a contract to be honest.
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2018 at 9:54am
I like Hassler, seems a strong runner even in contact - good leg drive to keep going. The only thing, however is he plays for Canada - so he would be missing for chunks of the season.
thommo View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thommo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2018 at 10:06am
What we need is a winger with serious speed and that is not hassler. For that reason hope we are not considering him. Steff does not have serious gas but makes up for that with his quickfeet. Playing the style we do attacking turnovers we need a flyer likei ioane of treviso.
trident View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trident Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2018 at 10:23am
Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

Originally posted by ScarletBear ScarletBear wrote:

No that was Dirksen.

Hassler would thrive in our environment IMO. Never give up type character whether thats to chase down an attacker or a support run.
One of if not the most consistent performers for the Ospreys in the last 5yrs IMO. And knows where the try line is. he's a finisher.
Cant get over the Ospreys have not offered him a contract to be honest.

Apparently he had a 2 year deal with him having the option to extend for a further year. Earlier this year he told the O's he wouldn't be taking up that option. More recently he asked if it was still open but by then they had reallocated the funds.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2018 at 10:34am
hassler can shift, and he is a strong runner, but he has had a lot of injuries. The other worry is that he constantly looks for contact , where as we try to avoid it.  All things considered I think we should pass , bet the drags go in for him

Edited by RR1972 - 25 April 2018 at 10:48am
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2018 at 10:39am
The first choice  Scarlets starting wingers for next season are probably already in place- Steff, McNicholl, and Clayton. Hassler would be only be used to boost the squad while our youngsters develop. How often would he play for Canada (and be unavailable) and how much would he cost are the two big questions that would have to be posed. Of our probable starters I think Clayton is pretty quick, but if we look at other teams use of wingers, and their use of kick and chase as a weapon to exert pressure  we just haven't got it. It's not just lack of pace on behalf of our boys but also generally very poor kicking to give our wingers a chance. Our box kicking against Leinster gave us no chance to retrieve the ball and plenty for Leinster to control exactly where on the field they wanted to put pressure on us next. Our tactical kicking wasn't even relieving the pressure on us let alone putting pressure on them. A lot of this was, of course, due to the superiority of the Leinster pack in the breakdown area, but by no means all of it.
turkishrebel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turkishrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2018 at 11:20am
think we do need a flyer in the squad, but we will certainly have more pace in the back 3 with mcnicholl back and bloomtejees who is rapid.
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2018 at 11:48am
Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

The first choice  Scarlets starting wingers for next season are probably already in place- Steff, McNicholl, and Clayton. Hassler would be only be used to boost the squad while our youngsters develop. How often would he play for Canada (and be unavailable) and how much would he cost are the two big questions that would have to be posed. Of our probable starters I think Clayton is pretty quick, but if we look at other teams use of wingers, and their use of kick and chase as a weapon to exert pressure  we just haven't got it. It's not just lack of pace on behalf of our boys but also generally very poor kicking to give our wingers a chance. Our box kicking against Leinster gave us no chance to retrieve the ball and plenty for Leinster to control exactly where on the field they wanted to put pressure on us next. Our tactical kicking wasn't even relieving the pressure on us let alone putting pressure on them. A lot of this was, of course, due to the superiority of the Leinster pack in the breakdown area, but by no means all of it.

From what I have seen of Clayton he will be our quickest player by some distance. Our tactical kicking is our biggest problem area which is surprising with Stevo involved. Next season our back 3 resources look pretty good - Halfpenny, Clayton, Steff, Jonny, Fonotia, Asquith, Tom Williams, Conbeer, Prydie.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 20>
  Share Topic