Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Recruitment policy of Pivac

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 20>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Recruitment policy of Pivac
    Posted: 11 April 2018 at 9:38am
Nice article on the wales online about our recruitment. They look at the player both on and off the field to see whether they will fit in with the culture, they don’t like robots, they look at their suitability to our style of play and their ability to play in different positions. They also seem to really value the importance of us being a family club, as echoed by JB in his interview with SQ after the game on Saturday.
It seems that they are very meticulous in their research into the players and if they don’t think they will suit us, they won’t sign them.
With this level of detail going into each signing that we make, I have every confidence that we will not be making the mistakes of seasons gone by, and the mistakes that clubs continue to make when it comes to new signings.
The future looks rosey, or do I mean ‘scarlet’.
Sponsored Links

GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2018 at 9:50am
Precisely - his words were "we don't want rugby robots". The management team have carefully & methodically built a squad who enjoy going to work and very importantly enjoy each others company. Early doors some casualties arose but now they seem to have a fantastic togetherness which Scott touched on in his SQ interview. 

Having achieved a united squad it is now so important that any players added to the squad fit in not only with the playing style but the harmony within the squad. 
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2018 at 9:53am
Link to the article here:

http:///www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/secrets-behind-scarlets-recruitment-policy-14513401

I especially like the lines where Pivac has said "We do a lot of homework in terms of what they are like away from the rugby field. That interests us as well, as to what type of people they are, because we have got a pretty good environment here now and a pretty good culture."

Goes to show he isn't just after any old bloke to fill a position & takes time to look at what impact any potential signing will have on the group of existing players & staff.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2018 at 10:07am
There are plenty of examples of individuals who can ruin the team dynamic & well done to Pivac and his team for understanding this & working so hard to avoid the pitfalls. If one player sums up Pivac's ideal for me it would be Aaron Shingler - an immensely talented athlete who is always very humble & polite. This culture also explains why Pivac came down very hard on Cubby when he transgressed; we all thought he was quite harsh at the time when he suggested that Cubby's job was on the line but he was serious. Respect for your fellow players, management, the game & officials is paramount. 
Exkixu View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exkixu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2018 at 10:18am
That's Quade Cooper out of the question then. LOL
1 Xavier Rush   2 Rhys Priestland   3 David Lyons   Cardiff Blues - Scarlets, 26/09/09      

More carries than any of our forwards. Priestland Fan Club Proud Member
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2018 at 10:26am
Quade, Marlon Yarde & Finn Russell are 3 that spring to mind!!!!!
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2018 at 10:31am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

There are plenty of examples of individuals who can ruin the team dynamic & well done to Pivac and his team for understanding this & working so hard to avoid the pitfalls. If one player sums up Pivac's ideal for me it would be Aaron Shingler - an immensely talented athlete who is always very humble & polite. This culture also explains why Pivac came down very hard on Cubby when he transgressed; we all thought he was quite harsh at the time when he suggested that Cubby's job was on the line but he was serious. Respect for your fellow players, management, the game & officials is paramount. 

In an interview with the W.Mail Sam Warburton said

Who’s been your Welsh player of the season?

SW: Aaron Shingler for the impact he’s had. He’s always been a top player around the set up but it’s just small things.

Everyone knows he’s great with his athleticism and has got speed but what he’s been really good at is just being aggressive and a nuisance at the breakdown, doing what top-class back-rowers should do but a lot don’t.

He’s off-loading much more than I think he did in the early days of his career. Perhaps the Scarlets’ philosophy has brought that out.

So, if you add that on to what he was already extremely strong at, you can see why he’s been so influential for the Scarlets and Wales.

Mr Ian View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2018 at 11:28am
i like the idea of players with X factor...even if I tought that can arrive more players from Auckland area...will be not easy an other exploit like Beirne, but surely the new players will give their support to the team..Thomson doesnt play regulary at the moment, hope is only a coach decision
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2018 at 11:39am
Originally posted by Mr Ian Mr Ian wrote:

i like the idea of players with X factor...even if I tought that can arrive more players from Auckland area...will be not easy an other exploit like Beirne, but surely the new players will give their support to the team..Thomson doesnt play regulary at the moment, hope is only a coach decision

I think that may be due to his issues with three shoudler dislocations he has suffered in the last 2 seasons.
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2018 at 11:43am
Wayne was in the Ranch (Llanelli CC) last year and he explained how he chooses the players, also of great interest, is that he does not expect an instant success, it takes time to get to know the ethos, understanding of the team, as well as how rugby is played in Wales, less for players already in Wales.

I hope those who originally criticised Johnny McNichol, Steve Cummins, Hadleigh Parkes etc should realise this, look at them now, one a Welsh international, and the other 2 are playing well.

Wayne's man management id very good, and it is backed up by a team of WELSH coaches, what more can we ask for, well personally all staying with the club, but really I would be chuffed for them if they take the step up to Wales.

I just hope succession planning is taking place !!
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
T_RICHARDS_94 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote T_RICHARDS_94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2018 at 11:48am
Although it's a different sport, Pep Guardiola spoke about his recruitment policy the other day and his comments were very similar. They look more at the personality of the player sometimes before deciding whether to sign or not. It's to make sure they have "good people" and can adapt to the culture. It's working for them and it's working for us!

Great read too.
Writer for The Rugby Club
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2018 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

In an interview with the W.Mail Sam Warburton said

Who’s been your Welsh player of the season?

SW: Aaron Shingler for the impact he’s had. He’s always been a top player around the set up but it’s just small things.

Everyone knows he’s great with his athleticism and has got speed but what he’s been really good at is just being aggressive and a nuisance at the breakdown, doing what top-class back-rowers should do but a lot don’t.

He’s off-loading much more than I think he did in the early days of his career. Perhaps the Scarlets’ philosophy has brought that out.

So, if you add that on to what he was already extremely strong at, you can see why he’s been so influential for the Scarlets and Wales.

Thanks for that - hadn't seen it before. Fine words and compliments from Warburton for one of our star men.

As for recruitment - it certainly looks as if the players play for each other, and that can only come from choosing boys who'll buy in to the team and club ethos. Long may it continue!
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2018 at 9:09am
Not really recruitment related but didn't want to start a new thread, but some really good comments from Pivac about before he started with us which I think just goes to show how well he has done & how much he values the heritage of the Scarlets, particularly the bit in bold.

"I am accessible to whoever wants to have a meeting.” His marriage broke up when he was in New Zealand so he can give 24 hours to the job. “We have seen this thing building. We have a bit of a gang mentality, you rely on the guy next to you and know he has your back, which is something I learnt in my original career in the police.

"The community are feeding off it and I can see our boys making a difference in their lives. People have a new lease of life as supporters, you can see the smiles on their faces and the productivity in the town goes up. The players do wonders, they mix with parents and kids and supporters and listen to what they say.”

Pivac also revealed when he arrived at the region, Easterby was about to choose one of the foreign players as captain.

“I told Simon to hang on and not make any announcement. I wanted a Welsh guy, Welsh-speaking, because we represent west Wales, where there are a lot of Welsh speakers. I wanted our captain to do a full job in the media and not half the job," added Pivac.

“He had to be somebody who commanded a starting position but I also like the warrior type that leads from the front."

That man was Lions hooker Ken Owens and the Welsh front-rower could well find his regional coach as national boss after the 2019 Rugby World Cup with Pivac one of the names in the frame to succeed Warren Gatland.

s.pimpernel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
A.F.K.A.P.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s.pimpernel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2018 at 9:25am
Originally posted by T_RICHARDS_94 T_RICHARDS_94 wrote:

Although it's a different sport, Pep Guardiola spoke about his recruitment policy the other day and his comments were very similar. They look more at the personality of the player sometimes before deciding whether to sign or not. It's to make sure they have "good people" and can adapt to the culture. It's working for them and it's working for us!

Great read too.

Well City signed Raheem Stirling. Enough said.

But I do miss the days of signing utter crap and sticking them on hugely inflated contracts.......NOTLOL

I say to this day that if Daniel Braid (who in fairness wasn`t crap) hadn`t got injured, his alleged salary alone would have sunk us.

Or the "Urbam Myth" story about a player Stevo recommended (can`t remember his name) and when he found out how much his contract was he allegedly said "He`s good but he`s not that f**king good" LOL

Edited by s.pimpernel - 16 April 2018 at 10:26am
In Pivac we trust
Sosban bach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban bach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2018 at 9:46am
Varndell first pants signing? Luckily a loan lol!
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2018 at 11:36am
Originally posted by T_RICHARDS_94 T_RICHARDS_94 wrote:

Great read too.

Yes, i think I read that too, v interesting!

The All Blacks have their "No d***heads" policy but also I've seen a few similar examples outside sport so for example Adam&Eve DDB, the people who make the John Lewis adverts say you "must be talented AND nice" to work there and I read the other day that you can't get a job at Netflix if you're a "brilliant jerk" 

One bad apple spoils the broth!
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 20>
  Share Topic