Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Regions writing to MPs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2013 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by Micro Duck Micro Duck wrote:

The challenge is to get them to understand the issues. One MP has already said today that central contracts are the way forward.

Who?

You're right though, RRW need to think very hard about presenting this. If they over-complicate it, it won't get anywhere.
Sponsored Links

InTheBath View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote InTheBath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2013 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by Mike Mike wrote:

Originally posted by InTheBath InTheBath wrote:

I wonder if Owen Smith MP will get behind RRW?

We need to focus on devolved Wales - where Roger sees his career taking him after he's killed off Welsh rugby.

Jonathan Edwards MP is passionate politician who is a Scarlets fan, cares about Wales and is happy to put his head above the parapet on a range of issues. He needs to be involved.

As for the rest of the MPs, I'm not sure how much value there will be. Owen Smith certainly can't be relied upon! Wink

Looks like Owen Smith wants Llanelli, Swansea, Cardiff and Newport in the Aviva Premiership after all.

No doubt the Valley Rugby lot won't see it that way but it is an amusnig U turn from those involved.
PritchyTheScarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Young Munster 2004 - Neyland RFC Tour

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PritchyTheScarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2013 at 5:29pm
Sounds like a good plan.
All Time Favourite Scarlets XV

B Davies, M Jones, R King, J Davies, D James, S Jones, D Peel
R Evans, K Owens, J Davies, V Cooper, C Wyatt, S Easterby, J Davies, S Quinnell
Abbey View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abbey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2013 at 6:10pm

The challenge is to get them to understand the issues. One MP has already said today that central contracts are the way forward.

Who?

You're right though, RRW need to think very hard about presenting this. If they over-complicate it, it won't get anywhere.

This ploy is not as apparently futile as it first seems. Roger has already shown he knows the Scarlets Achilles heel in the public's perception, finance, and a story has suddenly appears in the BBC suggesting financial impropriety with CCC. Then, another weakness is self-confessed poor PR and marketing and Howell runs that story today.

I think the regional bosses have twigged that Roger's weak point is his public image (vanity) and probable future in politics. So why not bring the politicians into the discussion? I read that Lewis is a Labour supporter - what better way than getting people like Carwyn Jones or Peter Hain to make public comment that may embarrass Roger Lewis and his future aspirations? I think I can see where they're coming from, unless I'm giving them too much credence.

Edited by Abbey - 19 December 2013 at 6:12pm
bazlewis View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bazlewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2013 at 8:24pm
I noticed that smarmy git was on the news tonight with his other hat on. He is really trying to keep a high profile on tv is he not.
To be a Scarlet is as good as it gets
wetweatherwinger View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wetweatherwinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2013 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by Gary Coleman Gary Coleman wrote:

Originally posted by wetweatherwinger wetweatherwinger wrote:

Originally posted by haydn_davies haydn_davies wrote:

I know the Llanelli AM is also a massive Scarlets fan, ST holder too I think.

I wouldn't really let him near anything I wanted to fight for.

A rather defeatist attitude, if he is a ST holder then he is one of you. Insulting an ally who happens to be in a position of influence would be a seriously bad move. To win this fight the regions will need to build alliances. To insult those who have already come over to us is a bit pathetic!
What alternative PR tactics would you suggest?

No not really. Are you one of his constitiuents, are you aware of his working record? 
Maybe you want to look at his record on fighting to save accident and emergency services at Prince Philip hospital. He actually toed the party line ( well at least I think that was his reason), which was exactly the opposite stance to saving A and E in Llanelli and that was even after he handed a petition in to save it ( a U-turn or was he actually unaware at to what he was handing a petition against in the first place? ).
You might also want to look into his antics at the opening of the Senedd "do" last year.
I'm not saying he shouldn't get involved, but I don't think he'd do the cause any good given his reputation.
So in order to fight for the regions you would [beep] him off and rant against his voting record on the NHS. Very clever. 
Whatever his political party, his voting record on other matters or his thoughts on any other issues, he is a ST holder for your region. He remains a politician of influence but you would rather make him an enemy on an internet forum than have him on our side!?
Amazing logic. The battle against RL will take a great deal more thought than what you have contributed. I bet if he read this thread he would allow himself a little chuckle. Or are you agent provocateur?
The battle against RL will take a great deal more thought than what youted.
NobbySosban View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote NobbySosban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2013 at 10:07am
Some very odd bed-fellows and alliances coming of all this messiness:

Call for Assembly scrutiny of Welsh rugby financing

Friday, 20 December, 2013

The Leader of the Welsh Conservatives has written to the Chair of the Communities, Equality and Local Government Committee calling for an independent inquiry into the future of Welsh regional rugby governance and financing.

Andrew RT Davies has called for a general overview and examination of process following recent differences between the four Welsh rugby regions and the Welsh Rugby Union, over the signing of a participation agreement.

Mr Davies plays veterans rugby and is chair of the National Assembly’s rugby club.

He said:

“While I appreciate the current deadline both sides are working towards – and the urgent need to resolve the current issue – this latest disagreement demonstrates the wider difficulties associated with the way Welsh rugby is run.

“The economics of regional rugby in Wales remain complicated and – while it would be inappropriate for the Welsh Parliament to intervene in any way – the need for an independent inquiry is now very clear.

“This is why I have written to the chair of this committee, calling for a broad inquiry into the governance and financing of Welsh rugby, in the new year.

“In particular, the Welsh Parliament should look closely at the repeated disagreements and complications, and their impact on grassroots sport.

“This committee has the potential to act as an honest broker on what appears to be a deteriorating situation.

“I believe it is now time to look very closely at the economic position our regions and union find themselves in – particularly when compared to other clubs and unions across the UK, and the rest of the world.”

Micro Duck View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Micro Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2013 at 10:14am

Who?

Kevin Brennan.
NEW 2017 CHAMPIONS COLLECTION
T SHIRTS ON SALE

http://llanellitee.spreadshirt.co.uk
Gary Coleman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Who are we?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Coleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2013 at 11:17am

Originally posted by haydn_davies haydn_davies wrote:

I know the Llanelli AM is also a massive Scarlets fan, ST holder too I think.

I wouldn't really let him near anything I wanted to fight for.

A rather defeatist attitude, if he is a ST holder then he is one of you. Insulting an ally who happens to be in a position of influence would be a seriously bad move. To win this fight the regions will need to build alliances. To insult those who have already come over to us is a bit pathetic!
What alternative PR tactics would you suggest?

No not really. Are you one of his constitiuents, are you aware of his working record? 
Maybe you want to look at his record on fighting to save accident and emergency services at Prince Philip hospital. He actually toed the party line ( well at least I think that was his reason), which was exactly the opposite stance to saving A and E in Llanelli and that was even after he handed a petition in to save it ( a U-turn or was he actually unaware at to what he was handing a petition against in the first place? ).
You might also want to look into his antics at the opening of the Senedd "do" last year.
I'm not saying he shouldn't get involved, but I don't think he'd do the cause any good given his reputation.
So in order to fight for the regions you would [beep] him off and rant against his voting record on the NHS. Very clever. 
Whatever his political party, his voting record on other matters or his thoughts on any other issues, he is a ST holder for your region. He remains a politician of influence but you would rather make him an enemy on an internet forum than have him on our side!?
Amazing logic. The battle against RL will take a great deal more thought than what you have contributed. I bet if he read this thread he would allow himself a little chuckle. Or are you agent provocateur?
The battle against RL will take a great deal more thought than what youted.

LOL Again that's not really what I said.
wetweatherwinger View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetweatherwinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2013 at 7:19pm
Would like to know what Paul Rees' source was. Some MPs haven't received any correspondence. Is this just spin?
Any comment from the Regions regarding this? Paul Rees has been on our side so he should be trusted more than others, but where is the detail?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic