Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Return to Club format

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ScarletMagpie67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Return to Club format
    Posted: 09 May 2020 at 3:19pm
Hi everyone, I’m a new member so would firstly like to say Shwmae I chi gyd .
Just wondering what is everyone thoughts on Jiffy’s suggestion last week that perhaps because of the financial implications of the Pandemic the Welsh game may have to return to a club format and play just within Wales 
Sponsored Links

Mugwuffin View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mugwuffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 4:41pm
It’d be very bad news for the club and the national team. 

There’d be little money in it in terms of TV and sponsorship in comparison to the English and French leagues, meaning we’d struggle to keep our top players. The standard of play would be poor too if semi pro players were involved in most of the games. That would probably have a knock on performance in international matches as the players would be off the pace due to the easy rugby they’d Have been playing. 
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 5:13pm

Let's face it that will not happen. 
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by ScarletMagpie67 ScarletMagpie67 wrote:

Just wondering what is everyone thoughts on Jiffy’s suggestion last week that perhaps because of the financial implications of the Pandemic the Welsh game may have to return to a club format and play just within Wales 
I think it’s a ridiculous suggestion. There’s also zero chance of it happening. 
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 5:38pm
I don't think there's ever been a better opportunity for an anglo welsh league.
30th june 1986- 30th june 2011.25 years roofing,i wouldn't call that dodgy.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

Exactly 
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
stradeyscarlet72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stradeyscarlet72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 6:00pm
Absolutely- as mentioned previously, the English as much or if not more than us are struggling financially. An Anglo welsh or British league is the way forward 
Rob Hunt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rob Hunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 6:16pm

I suspect that the WRU is tied into  binding agreements with the other unions involved with the Pro 14, so unfortunately I can’t see it happening.
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by Rob Hunt Rob Hunt wrote:

I suspect that the WRU is tied into  binding agreements with the other unions involved with the Pro 14, so unfortunately I can’t see it happening.
with the likely travel restrictions they might not be binding.
30th june 1986- 30th june 2011.25 years roofing,i wouldn't call that dodgy.
stradeyscarlet72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stradeyscarlet72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 6:36pm
The likes of Bristol,bath and Glos are far Closer than other non welsh pro teams.  Not just stating the bleeding obvious 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 7:30pm

It’s a question of when. The WRU and all the other unions will do whatever it takes to make as much money as they can following this pandemic. Also it’s up to CVC
Rob Hunt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob Hunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 7:47pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

It’s a question of when. The WRU and all the other unions will do whatever it takes to make as much money as they can following this pandemic. Also it’s up to CVC
My comments were in relation to an Anglo-Welsh league.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 7:52pm

Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

My comments were in relation to an Anglo-Welsh league.
I know. A British and Irish league is likely 
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 10:06pm
Originally posted by ScarletMagpie67 ScarletMagpie67 wrote:

I think it was ignorant, clueless, attention seeking trolling. 

We're still still here!
pillory View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pillory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2020 at 11:29am
That would be a short-term thing.
Long-term, I think it's important to think about how the immediate crisis is pushing unions and bodies to accelerate efforts to raise capital from private investors. Notwithstanding the current inability to travel. that could make larger, cross-border competitions like a European or world league more likely, right?

I think it's interesting to ponder how BOTH those capital-raising issues and the current financial crisis posed to regions combine to influence the shape of our region and others going forward...

Does the prospect of a European or world league mean organisers would want entities with strong brands (both Scarlets and Ospreys are strong brands, even if one dates back more than a century)? Does an influx of new money reduce the necessity to merge? Or will it come too late - will the current financial crisis force renewed merger talks? Perhaps much rests on to what extent the Ospreys backers' tolerance for long-term commitment will have been impacted during this period.

I guess a European or global league still doesn't necessarily swell the gates at stadia. Doubly so, if people aren't travelling post-pandemic.

What is shifting about the English situation that would prompt them to reconsider a British & Irish league? Their own financial structural issues, exacerbated by the pandemic, boosted by private equity incentivising them to a British TV deal, right?
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2020 at 11:51am
Originally posted by pillory pillory wrote:

That would be a short-term thing.
Long-term, I think it's important to think about how the immediate crisis is pushing unions and bodies to accelerate efforts to raise capital from private investors. Notwithstanding the current inability to travel. that could make larger, cross-border competitions like a European or world league more likely, right?

I think it's interesting to ponder how BOTH those capital-raising issues and the current financial crisis posed to regions combine to influence the shape of our region and others going forward...

Does the prospect of a European or world league mean organisers would want entities with strong brands (both Scarlets and Ospreys are strong brands, even if one dates back more than a century)? Does an influx of new money reduce the necessity to merge? Or will it come too late - will the current financial crisis force renewed merger talks? Perhaps much rests on to what extent the Ospreys backers' tolerance for long-term commitment will have been impacted during this period.

I guess a European or global league still doesn't necessarily swell the gates at stadia. Doubly so, if people aren't travelling post-pandemic.

What is shifting about the English situation that would prompt them to reconsider a British & Irish league? Their own financial structural issues, exacerbated by the pandemic, boosted by private equity incentivising them to a British TV deal, right?

Interesting points. There has been much talk of the Ospreys financial situation but I have to be honest and say that I have not seen any evidence which suggests they are any worse off than us or indeed the Blues. Yes we are very capably run by an excellent team of administrators & we have our own excellent facility which does differentiate us from other Welsh regions. 

As for merger talk a lot will depend on the CVC deal and how much political stomach still exists for there to be a North Wales region post the pandemic when the Welsh Government will surely have far more on its plate than sporting issues. 

The situation in England is very interesting. Clubs are growing increasingly disillusioned by the costs being pumped into PRL feeling that they could save those millions and do the job themselves. In addition there is and always has been a lot of friction between the clubs and the RFU. The RFU appears to be a poorly run organisation still full of blazers or as Will Carling said old farts. The RFU structure is unwieldy and expensive and many clubs feel they are not rewarded enough for producing the Internationals of tomorrow.

If English clubs feel there is support from broadcasters for a British/Irish league or indeed a full European league then it will gain traction.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic