Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Roll call for the library ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 15>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LLANDRE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2011 at 10:29pm
I think we all respect anyone not attending and have some sympathy for there reasons not to go.

However over the years some of my best experiences have been seeing us win in St Helens and the Gnoll and i just want to enjoy seeing us take the Ospreys on there own patch.

I also know that the 16th man factor really does help the team and is not just something that is said to stir up support.

Some of the vocal away support in recent seasons has been awesome and has really been a pleasure to be a part of.

I just want that feeling everytime i go to a match

West is Best (Fin gwybod)
Sponsored Links

Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
SF's only officially endorsed pollster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2011 at 10:31pm
If I went year on year I'd be running the risk of getting thrown out and possibly banned, I've never sworn or been abusive to stewards at any ground but at the Liberty I didn't even feel bad about it which isn't a good situation to be in.

It's probably quite appropriate to discourage some supporters from not going, only a matter of time before there's some incidents.

The whole matchday at the Liberty is on another level to any of the old grounds like Ponty, Neath, Swansea, Ebbw Vale, its just wrong.

Edited by Gate12 - 01 November 2011 at 10:33pm
LLANDRE View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LLANDRE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2011 at 10:48pm
Lets hope its better there saturday
Mike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2011 at 10:49pm
Originally posted by LLANDRE LLANDRE wrote:

I also know that the 16th man factor really does help the team and is not just something that is said to stir up support.

Some of the vocal away support in recent seasons has been awesome and has really been a pleasure to be a part of.

Let's be honest, that's not going to happen on Saturday. People needed to stick together and buy from the allocated section that the Scarlets had even if they were crap seats.

Instead, people went off and bought little groups of tickets all around the stadium which will turn out to be right in the middle of the home support and a recipe for needle, not to mention diluting the backing of the team.

It will be nothing like what we do at places like Cardiff, Newport, Reading etc when everyone's together.
LLANDRE View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LLANDRE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2011 at 10:57pm
I understand what your saying but i want to be in the middle of them
scarlet_rob View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarlet_rob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2011 at 11:13pm
I think we'll have a decent support there. Not as good as other grounds or matches maybe but still enough to make a noise. Possibly being spread around may make our support be heard around the stadium.

Issues with the Liberty in previous season has been in the context of us not winning and even been on the back end of a couple of embarassing heavy defeats. This just amplifies all the niggles from Ospreys supporters and stewards. This time it could be different if we dominate the game and get the win.

Also we all know that most that are staying away, wouldn't if we were in a HC quarter or a Pro12 play off final. We all have to prioritise games we go to. Very few go to 100% and I can understand why this one would be low down on that priority list. 
scarlet_rob View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarlet_rob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2011 at 11:24pm
Oh and the reason I chose to go, previously it's been one of my low priority fixtures, was I wanted to be there to witness us taking back the bragging rights. Whether we like it or not they've owned us over the last few seasons, and I'm fed up of this and want to be there to see it come to an end.
Rugby fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rugby fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2011 at 11:51pm
For the fans that aren't turning up, you could miss on a 1st win in years, and on enemy territory. 

I have had bad experiences at Stradey, CAP and Dave Parade but does it stop me from going there and shouting on my team? Does it [beep]! I enjoy it even more then when we win (which isn't often away!!). 
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2011 at 7:20am
hi there rf, very valid points. but this is deeper than those points you mentioned. for instance, the scarlets played toulouse away twice and got absolutly stuffed, yet on the third time we took our biggest support out there.

you mentioned stradey cap and dave parade, surely they are no brainers, we love going to those places as they are rugby arenas with heart and soul.

i`m not trying to pick an arguement or run your team down here.

but its the poor rugby experience at the liberty is the main factor for most people. to all ospreys fans who are faced with having to go there for every home game they have my deepest sympathies.

i`ve been there 3 times now, and ive never ever come across somewhere totally devoid of any rugby atmosphere, and thats when its packed.

now consider i`ve toughed it out in hughendon,firhill, adams park, stockport, and all the valley [beep] tips of the 80`s and 90`s.

yet somehow its a modern 20k all seater that comes bottom of the list on most peoples list of worst grounds to visit.

saying all that. i`ll now be there as i couldn`t face letting my team go there without my support.
lofty evans View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2011 at 8:00am
Originally posted by Speedy Speedy wrote:

hi there rf, very valid points. but this is deeper than those points you mentioned. for instance, the scarlets played toulouse away twice and got absolutly stuffed, yet on the third time we took our biggest support out there.

you mentioned stradey cap and dave parade, surely they are no brainers, we love going to those places as they are rugby arenas with heart and soul.

i`m not trying to pick an arguement or run your team down here.

but its the poor rugby experience at the liberty is the main factor for most people. to all ospreys fans who are faced with having to go there for every home game they have my deepest sympathies.

i`ve been there 3 times now, and ive never ever come across somewhere totally devoid of any rugby atmosphere, and thats when its packed.

now consider i`ve toughed it out in hughendon,firhill, adams park, stockport, and all the valley [beep] tips of the 80`s and 90`s.

yet somehow its a modern 20k all seater that comes bottom of the list on most peoples list of worst grounds to visit.

saying all that. i`ll now be there as i couldn`t face letting my team go there without my support.

Your the man..........ClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClap

In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"        Roger going life is good.
Once a monkey View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Pull !!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Once a monkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2011 at 8:18am
I have to be honest guys, I'm getting a tadge [beep]ed off with some of the patronising shit in this thread. People calling into question loyalty because some of us have decided not to attend. You weren't stood next to me last year when my son was crying because some prick was calling his mother a "[beep]ing turk loser" from 5 yards away. You weren't there when I asked him politely, at first, to curb his language only to be subjected to a torrent of abuse, which then nearly escalated.

We have all done things in our lives we aren't proud of, but getting yourself into a potentially explosive position, with your kids and wife in tow at a rugby match would top things off as an all time low. I was nearly there last time.

And whilst the easy solution is not to take the family, why shouldn't I. I've been to the Dragons and Ponty with my 10 year old over the last season or so, that I can handle. But, sometimes a line is crossed, and principles kick in. Perhaps some of you holier than thou types should learn to respect our decisions instead of posting patronising nonsense.

And whether we then decide to attend in the future is also up to us. Not you.

As an aside, not everyone can make expensive away trips. But do you see the rest of us telling you to work overtime, get second jobs? Is your loyalty in question?

Patronising nonsense.
#George
multinational View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote multinational Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2011 at 8:28am
Originally posted by Once a monkey Once a monkey wrote:

I have to be honest guys, I'm getting a tadge [beep]ed off with some of the patronising shit in this thread. People calling into question loyalty because some of us have decided not to attend. You weren't stood next to me last year when my son was crying because some prick was calling his mother a "[beep]ing turk loser" from 5 yards away. You weren't there when I asked him politely, at first, to curb his language only to be subjected to a torrent of abuse, which then nearly escalated.

We have all done things in our lives we aren't proud of, but getting yourself into a potentially explosive position, with your kids and wife in tow at a rugby match would top things off as an all time low. I was nearly there last time.

And whilst the easy solution is not to take the family, why shouldn't I. I've been to the Dragons and Ponty with my 10 year old over the last season or so, that I can handle. But, sometimes a line is crossed, and principles kick in. Perhaps some of you holier than thou types should learn to respect our decisions instead of posting patronising nonsense.

As an aside, not everyone can make expensive away trips. But do you see the rest of us telling you to work overtime, get second jobs? Is your loyalty in question?

Patronising nonsense.

Sorry you feel that way, but I can't see a single post on this thread that questions anyone's loyalty mate, in fact I have been at pains to do the opposite. It seems to me that all people are trying to do is drum up some more support at the Liberty, and if that is considered patronising then our PR department may as well give up trying to attract people to our ground!

You have chosen not to go, you have valid reasons, no-one has selected an individual at all to make a direct comment about them. I also know of several other posters that aren't going and have (as I did with you) made a plea to change their minds, they didn't and I completely understand that - but that doesn't mean I'm going to stop nagging.

Sorry you seem to have taken this thing to heart mate.
History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage, need not be lived again.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2011 at 8:45am
Originally posted by Mike Mike wrote:

Let's be honest, that's not going to happen on Saturday. People needed to stick together and buy from the allocated section that the Scarlets had even if they were crap seats.

Instead, people went off and bought little groups of tickets all around the stadium which will turn out to be right in the middle of the home support and a recipe for needle, not to mention diluting the backing of the team.

It will be nothing like what we do at places like Cardiff, Newport, Reading etc when everyone's together.

Mike, you have valid points - I'm sure that it's easier for the away support to get a song/chant going when they are all in the same section. (BTW - do the Scarlets get any cash - as agents or whatever - for any seats they sell for away games? if so, this would be an argument which might carry weight with the supporters.)

All the same - I'd be VERY sorry if rugby became like soccer, where fans have to be segregated to stop WW3 breaking out. There is often some very good fun to be had in discussing/bantering with an opposition fan or two, so long as it's good natured - and that, it seems to me, is what usually happens in rugby (I'm prepared to bet that the Os have very many perfectly civilised fans). Of course, at some games that doesn't happen - and I know what it's like to receive abuse, or even threats - but thankfully that is not a common occurrence. If the fans at the Liberty are really as dreadful as some say, then I quite understand why they (or their families) will not be going. I just hope that such people will be held in check by saner members of the crowd, and by the stewards if necessary.
I share no-one's ideas. I have my own.
(Ivan Turgenev)
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2011 at 8:47am
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Mike, you have valid points - I'm sure that it's easier for the away support to get a song/chant going when they are all in the same section. (BTW - do the Scarlets get any cash - as agents or whatever - for any seats they sell for away games? if so, this would be an argument which might carry weight with the supporters.)

All the same - I'd be VERY sorry if rugby became like soccer, where fans have to be segregated to stop WW3 breaking out. There is often some very good fun to be had in discussing/bantering with an opposition fan or two, so long as it's good natured - and that, it seems to me, is what usually happens in rugby (I'm prepared to bet that the Os have very many perfectly civilised fans). Of course, at some games that doesn't happen - and I know what it's like to receive abuse, or even threats - but thankfully that is not a common occurrence. If the fans at the Liberty are really as dreadful as some say, then I quite understand why they (or their families) will not be going. I just hope that such people will be held in check by saner members of the crowd, and by the stewards if necessary.
they seem to be a major part of the problem.
30th june 1986- 30th june 2011.25 years roofing,i wouldn't call that dodgy.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2011 at 8:53am
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

they seem to be a major part of the problem.

If that's so - then I suggest that anyone who is given a hard time by stewards - without provoking them - make a note of the incident and identity (if possible) and make a formal complaint through whatever official channels exist.

Stewards are there to help keep the peace, not give away supporters a hard time! If they behave differently, they are being unprofessional, and should be sacked.
I share no-one's ideas. I have my own.
(Ivan Turgenev)
Once a monkey View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Pull !!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Once a monkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2011 at 9:02am
Originally posted by multinational multinational wrote:

Originally posted by Once a monkey Once a monkey wrote:

Patronising nonsense.

Sorry you feel that way, but I can't see a single post on this thread that questions anyone's loyalty mate, in fact I have been at pains to do the opposite. It seems to me that all people are trying to do is drum up some more support at the Liberty, and if that is considered patronising then our PR department may as well give up trying to attract people to our ground!

You have chosen not to go, you have valid reasons, no-one has selected an individual at all to make a direct comment about them. I also know of several other posters that aren't going and have (as I did with you) made a plea to change their minds, they didn't and I completely understand that - but that doesn't mean I'm going to stop nagging.

Sorry you seem to have taken this thing to heart mate.
Read back the last 2 pages. I'm not going to quote individuals, but it's not difficiult to find one or two postsers asking how people can boycott a local derby only 15 minutes away? That's not drumming support, that is passing judgement. 

I respect you position Rob, I spoke to you Saturday and commented on this thread about your well argued plea. But, as an adult, I'll base my principles and decisions on my own experiences, and keep my own counsel on what is right and wrong for me and my family.

People trying to influence those decisions in the way you have tried is one thing, but people who have no concept of why I, or indeed others, have arrived at those decisions is patronising, and unbecoming of the individuals involved.

Your rallying call has turned for some people into a reason to question non attendance by some. Those who know me will respect my decision, and as for the rest, well I really couldn't give a hoot what they think.

And by the way, I haven't taking it to heart, I just don't like being patronised for my principles.

Those who post comments on a forum stating they don't understand the principles or decisions of others are naive at best.
#George
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 15>
  Share Topic