Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > RUGBY ARCHIVE > Rugby World Cup 2019
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rugby World Cup 2019

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 29303132>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2019 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by greypower1 greypower1 wrote:

Originally posted by Mogwen Mogwen wrote:

NZ were old, slow, clueless and lived on their reputation. Hansen got it wrong today. England were by far the better side. I still fancy our chances in the final against them 😁😁

Your living in fantasy land. England are head and shoulders above all other teams.  They have huge player resources and huge financial resources.  If they want to dominate world rugby for the foreseeable future all they need do is put the necessary management in place.  
What happened the last time Wales played England?
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Sponsored Links

greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2019 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

NZ were old, slow, clueless and lived on their reputation. Hansen got it wrong today. England were by far the better side. I still fancy our chances in the final against them 😁😁

Your living in fantasy land. England are head and shoulders above all other teams.  They have huge player resources and huge financial resources.  If they want to dominate world rugby for the foreseeable future all they need do is put the necessary management in place.  

England are faster, bigger, stronger and more disciplined than when we last met them.  Wales are missing Williams, Anscombe, Navidi and possibly Davies and do not have a strong bench, they've been absorbed into the starting 15.  If we beat S.A. we'll have nothing left in the tank for the final.
England have played one less game and are getting an extra day of recovery.
Keep the faith
gaffer View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2019 at 2:18pm
NZ lack of back row pace played into Eng's hands. England's over commitment to the blitz meant there was a load of space in the midfield which NZ failed to test - nobody chipped behind Tuilagi or attacked the dog leg he created by rushing up. NZ seemed intent on getting it wide regardless and stuck to it throughout despite failing to control the breakdown. England just played sensible rugby - got good field position and took their chances. A desperate game for NZ not helped by poor selections.

Edited by gaffer - 26 October 2019 at 2:19pm
What's going on?
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2019 at 5:01pm

not often we agree but well said steff.
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2019 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

not often we agree but well said steff.
Strange things are happening this weekendLOL
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2019 at 1:43am
England did only defend brilliantly ; they passed brilliantly and attacked similarly. Exceptional performance . Hope this was their Everest and Wales can edge past SA. We don’t score many tries which is a worry now. Should be close game 
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2019 at 7:37am
Excellent English performance. May must have been carrying a hamstring as he had a great chance but was caught by Barrett - that would not have happened if he was fit. Confirmed when he didn't make the 2nd half.  Curry is the most improved player in the World over the past 12 months & his fellow kamikaze kid Underhill is a tackling machine.

My wild pre tournament prediction of an England v Wales final may well come true. Come on bois bach lets see off the Boks first!!!!
PTScarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PTScarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2019 at 3:59am
England were fantastic. They deserve the WC but not sure they can produce another performance like that against SA.
One eyed turk, nothing more nothing less.
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2019 at 10:56am
I have to say England were brilliant and played a great game. I hope they win the final. If they were to do so they would have beaten every SH Championship side in the tournament.

Edited by dr_martinov - 28 October 2019 at 11:19am
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2019 at 11:31am
Very powerful performance by a formidable South Africa side. Think their size, power and speed really sets them apart at the moment. With pack dominance they run the game really well off 9, 10 and 15 plus have two incredibly dangerous wingers. I'm not sure if today puts last Sunday and how close we were in a different context, as I feel South Africa did employ different tactics then, but England were simply overpowered all across the park and could not get going at all against them. Well done to South Africa, they are definitely looking like a force again.

Edited by dr_martinov - 02 November 2019 at 11:37am
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2019 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by dr_martinov dr_martinov wrote:

Very powerful performance by a formidable South Africa side. Think their size, power and speed really sets them apart at the moment. With pack dominance they run the game really well off 9, 10 and 15 plus have two incredibly dangerous wingers. I'm not sure if today puts last Sunday and how close we were in a different context, as I feel South Africa did employ different tactics then, but England were simply overpowered all across the park and could not get going at all against them. Well done to South Africa, they are definitely looking like a force again.

The SA 9 said they used the same tactics, but found more space out wide... it certainly put Wales's performance in a very good light, as we could have won that semi if the chips had fallen differently on a couple of ref decisions (SA were ever so slightly better than us, IMO) - today, England were never really in the game.

Unusually, I had been prepared before KO to support England if they employed the type of game that beat NZ... but they never had any front-foot dominance and so that didn't happen. As it played out, I'm so pleased that SA won, because most of the English removed their silver medals as they left the podium, which to me (and, probably, the Japanese) seemed ill-mannered and childish. (Eddie Jones didn't do this - not sure if he took it off later. He would have done better to shut up rather than respond to Gatland, though - Gats saw all too clearly that a big win v NZ might lead to the England players going into the final over-confident.)

Also, the words of the SA captain were gracious and considered - a class act unlike far too many of the losers.

Worthy winners, and Wales did us proud - a good RWC vintage.
β€œYou cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2019 at 12:44pm
Well I think that game showed how Wales really blew their best chance yet of winning a World Cup. If we had only shown a modicum of adventure against South Africa we could have won and England never looked like being able to raise their game for the 2nd week in a row. Fast Eddie's childish response to Gatland's fair summation looks now exactly what it is - a puerile comment from a puerile coach who lacks class.

One thing today's game showed is that Wyn Jones has propelled himself to being one of front runners for the Lions tour in 2021. Is there a better scrummaging loose head in Britain/Ireland? I think not. Well done Wyn we are all very proud of you. I recall Graham Price copping some stick on this forum for suggesting that current day props needed to play in the Premiership more often well Wyn is living testimony to that. 
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2019 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Well I think that game showed how Wales really blew their best chance yet of winning a World Cup. If we had only shown a modicum of adventure against South Africa we could have won and England never looked like being able to raise their game for the 2nd week in a row. Fast Eddie's childish response to Gatland's fair summation looks now exactly what it is - a puerile comment from a puerile coach who lacks class.

One thing today's game showed is that Wyn Jones has propelled himself to being one of front runners for the Lions tour in 2021. Is there a better scrummaging loose head in Britain/Ireland? I think not. Well done Wyn we are all very proud of you. I recall Graham Price copping some stick on this forum for suggesting that current day props needed to play in the Premiership more often well Wyn is living testimony to that. 

What they certainly need is experience, and you don't get that holding tackle bags for the first team squad.
β€œYou cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Mogwen View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mogwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2019 at 2:27pm
Wales, with many 2nd even 3rd choice players lose to NZ by 23 point and tabloids say we were "thrashed" and "hammered". England lose by 20 points and were "outplayed" and "beaten". Laughable.

Eddie once again humble in defeat - "not sure how we lost that one". He's a real beautie isnt he.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
surfing-mtber View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surfing-mtber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2019 at 2:37pm
Most of the English media and a majority of supporters mistakenly thought they only had to turn up for the win. Not one media outlet will report a 'thrashing', which is precisely what it was.
Gats gets it right again, one game too far.
Thought our pack, in retrospect, performed better than England's  against SA. Interesting tactic  on the SA put in, lock it out and hold for longer than normal, then a late 2nd shove when England were knackered.
Well desereved and convincing win by the Boks. Mixed up the kicking as well.
Joshua24:15
Cofi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cofi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2019 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Spent a whole week thinking what if..after today's game I'l be thinking what if ... for the next 4 years! Damo.

Totally agree about Wyn. We should all be very proud of him.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 29303132>
  Share Topic