Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  New Posts New Posts
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login


Sam Costello

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>
Author
Message
shocker View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 22 October 2011
Status: Offline
Points: 1866
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2020 at 9:15am
could taking patch out of the firing line of the 10 channel and trying him  at 13 now and again help?
It would help with our centre problem 
Just an idea
Back to Top
Sponsored Links


Back to Top
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 22 July 2009
Status: Offline
Points: 11924
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2020 at 9:40am
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Originally posted by miaow miaow wrote:

Jonny Evs will be gone by the end of next season.

4 in to 2 at 10 doesn't work either.

It's pretty simple really. He's a highly rated youngster who will be wanting regional game time within 12 months. If we sign him then, like with the situation at 9, you can't keep that much talent (4 deep) in each position without hurting recruitment elsewhere.

Give our turnover of head coaches it's hard to know who's pulling the strings with recruitment, because it's obviously not just one man's vision, so it's hard to predict. If Brad were staying I'd say there's a good chance Dan Jones might leave as he really likes the look of AOB by the way he's played him. But then who knows, it's just guessing.

Either way Patchell needs to be playing for us regularly enough to challenge for the Welsh squad. With Anscombe, Biggar, and Jarrod Evans all fit and in form there's no guarantee Patch even makes the Wales squad. Jarrod Evans is pushing him now and I think they like  the way he plays as a running distributor. Basically like a second Anscombe, which Patchell isn't.

If that happens we end up with 4 Welsh 10s who need game time. That doesn't work for very long without someone taking the initiative and leaving on their own terms.
You are talking complete and utter crap. Absolutely clueless. There’s room in the Scarlets squad for Costellow and the current three.
Might be wrong Steff, hasn't Costellow also featured at 12 a bit as well as a second playmaker? may be thinking of the wrong one there though - unless it was a Wales u20s game that was down to necessity (injury) he went there.
Cracking prospect who I am sure will blossom at the Scarlets should he come.
Back to Top
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 27 April 2009
Status: Offline
Points: 11561
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2020 at 10:18am
he is a top prospect albeit his size could be an issue, he is not going to come to a region to be 4th or even 3rd choice or to play semi pro.  If he comes someone will go. He would be second choice ten at any other region as would dan or aob. I can see him coming but id expect 1 of the current crop to leave if he does
Back to Top
John View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 15 August 2004
Status: Offline
Points: 4341
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2020 at 11:05am
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

he is a top prospect albeit his size could be an issue, he is not going to come to a region to be 4th or even 3rd choice or to play semi pro.  If he comes someone will go. He would be second choice ten at any other region as would dan or aob. I can see him coming but id expect 1 of the current crop to leave if he does

Que sera.... 

The biggest mistake in squad building and retention we have made since regionalisation was in being faithful to our ageing but high quality squad at the time of the Celtic warriors demise. In particular we should have had Ryan Jones and said thank you very much to Scotty Q. who lasted one more season.  
If you have a surplus of 10s then let them fight it out for the big games. Costellow is a 12 as well so let him have game time there and move him into the 10 slot slowly. Parkes is away with Wales or injured alot and our lack of centre cover has been endlessly discussed on here recently so what's not to like? 
Back to Top
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 27 April 2009
Status: Offline
Points: 11561
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2020 at 11:44am
is he a 12? Hes small for a ten i think he’d get swamped at 12 tbh. Id be happy to lose aob or jones for him this kid’s ceiling is higher. I’d swap parkes for tompkins to as you say we should be ruthless

Edited by RR1972 - 20 January 2020 at 11:54am
Back to Top
Realwest View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: 28 August 2015
Location: Milford Haven
Status: Online
Points: 371
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Realwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2020 at 12:01pm
Cant see him getting too many starts at 10 in the u20 6 nations as Ioan Lloyd is in the squad and is probably the biggest prospect in the whole tournament. 

Also at 12 is Bradley Roderick is there and he's an absolute beast and very highly rated, 

However the u20s do seem to swap and change a lot so hopefully he will get a bit of game time 
Back to Top
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 28 April 2009
Status: Offline
Points: 11935
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2020 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by Realwest Realwest wrote:

Cant see him getting too many starts at 10 in the u20 6 nations as Ioan Lloyd is in the squad and is probably the biggest prospect in the whole tournament. 

Also at 12 is Bradley Roderick is there and he's an absolute beast and very highly rated, 

However the u20s do seem to swap and change a lot so hopefully he will get a bit of game time 
Not sure they see Ioan Lloyd as a 10 though 
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Back to Top
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 27 April 2009
Status: Offline
Points: 11561
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2020 at 12:11pm
isn’t roderick a 13?
Back to Top
Once a monkey View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar
Pull !!!

Joined: 30 December 2008
Status: Offline
Points: 15041
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Once a monkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2020 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

isn’t roderick a 13?
Yes
#George
Back to Top
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 31 August 2014
Location: Caerdydd
Status: Offline
Points: 6072
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2020 at 1:15pm
With Foxy, Parkes , Steff, Asquith, Baldwin and Knott, I'm not (pun Knott intended) that centre should now be a priority, so to go completely off thread I'd like to suggest that greater efforts should be made to find another top-quality tight-head like WillGriff John or is it John Willgriff or some other permutation?
Back to Top
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 26 January 2015
Status: Offline
Points: 3561
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2020 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

With Foxy, Parkes , Steff, Asquith, Baldwin and Knott, I'm not (pun Knott intended) that centre should now be a priority, so to go completely off thread I'd like to suggest that greater efforts should be made to find another top-quality tight-head like WillGriff John or is it John Willgriff or some other permutation?


I agree there, I think we need to make signing WillGriff John our priority, as good as Kruger is he isn't getting any younger.
Back to Top
henry_winkler View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar
Don’t believe a word......

Joined: 12 January 2007
Status: Offline
Points: 2708
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote henry_winkler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2020 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by John John wrote:

Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

he is a top prospect albeit his size could be an issue, he is not going to come to a region to be 4th or even 3rd choice or to play semi pro.  If he comes someone will go. He would be second choice ten at any other region as would dan or aob. I can see him coming but id expect 1 of the current crop to leave if he does

Que sera.... 

The biggest mistake in squad building and retention we have made since regionalisation was in being faithful to our ageing but high quality squad at the time of the Celtic warriors demise. In particular we should have had Ryan Jones and said thank you very much to Scotty Q. who lasted one more season.  
If you have a surplus of 10s then let them fight it out for the big games. Costellow is a 12 as well so let him have game time there and move him into the 10 slot slowly. Parkes is away with Wales or injured alot and our lack of centre cover has been endlessly discussed on here recently so what's not to like? 

We couldn't afford any of their players because we had used up our budget whilst the ospreys had held off because they were tipped off that the warriors players would be available.

We ended up having 2 youngsters, Stodarr, Matthew Rees and 1 journeyman Havili
Back to Top
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 28 April 2009
Status: Offline
Points: 11935
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2020 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

With Foxy, Parkes , Steff, Asquith, Baldwin and Knott, I'm not (pun Knott intended) that centre should now be a priority, so to go completely off thread I'd like to suggest that greater efforts should be made to find another top-quality tight-head like WillGriff John or is it John Willgriff or some other permutation?


I agree there, I think we need to make signing WillGriff John our priority, as good as Kruger is he isn't getting any younger.
I really rate WGJ but the problem there is we don’t want to lose both him and Samson to Wales. I know Samson isn’t currently in the squad but he’s bound to get back in. I think we should go NWQ for a tighthead. I must say though I’ve been impressed with Sebastian. He’s worth persevering with I think.

Edited by scarletnut - 20 January 2020 at 1:49pm
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Back to Top
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 08 May 2005
Location: Wales
Status: Offline
Points: 8991
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2020 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

Originally posted by ap sior ap sior wrote:

Not being nit picky, but his name is Costellow, not Costello, just in case you want to google him.

he was abbott to change it.LOL

That one crossed my mind, but I was too, embarrassed to put it out there.


Back to Top
miaow View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: 20 December 2019
Status: Offline
Points: 523
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miaow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2020 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Originally posted by miaow miaow wrote:

Jonny Evs will be gone by the end of next season.

4 in to 2 at 10 doesn't work either.

It's pretty simple really. He's a highly rated youngster who will be wanting regional game time within 12 months. If we sign him then, like with the situation at 9, you can't keep that much talent (4 deep) in each position without hurting recruitment elsewhere.

Give our turnover of head coaches it's hard to know who's pulling the strings with recruitment, because it's obviously not just one man's vision, so it's hard to predict. If Brad were staying I'd say there's a good chance Dan Jones might leave as he really likes the look of AOB by the way he's played him. But then who knows, it's just guessing.

Either way Patchell needs to be playing for us regularly enough to challenge for the Welsh squad. With Anscombe, Biggar, and Jarrod Evans all fit and in form there's no guarantee Patch even makes the Wales squad. Jarrod Evans is pushing him now and I think they like  the way he plays as a running distributor. Basically like a second Anscombe, which Patchell isn't.

If that happens we end up with 4 Welsh 10s who need game time. That doesn't work for very long without someone taking the initiative and leaving on their own terms.
You are talking complete and utter crap. Absolutely clueless. There’s room in the Scarlets squad for Costellow and the current three.


Good point, well reasoned.
Back to Top
miaow View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: 20 December 2019
Status: Offline
Points: 523
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miaow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2020 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Originally posted by miaow miaow wrote:

Jonny Evs will be gone by the end of next season.

4 in to 2 at 10 doesn't work either.

It's pretty simple really. He's a highly rated youngster who will be wanting regional game time within 12 months. If we sign him then, like with the situation at 9, you can't keep that much talent (4 deep) in each position without hurting recruitment elsewhere.

Give our turnover of head coaches it's hard to know who's pulling the strings with recruitment, because it's obviously not just one man's vision, so it's hard to predict. If Brad were staying I'd say there's a good chance Dan Jones might leave as he really likes the look of AOB by the way he's played him. But then who knows, it's just guessing.

Either way Patchell needs to be playing for us regularly enough to challenge for the Welsh squad. With Anscombe, Biggar, and Jarrod Evans all fit and in form there's no guarantee Patch even makes the Wales squad. Jarrod Evans is pushing him now and I think they like  the way he plays as a running distributor. Basically like a second Anscombe, which Patchell isn't.

If that happens we end up with 4 Welsh 10s who need game time. That doesn't work for very long without someone taking the initiative and leaving on their own terms.

I really don't get some of your comments. Patchell is not a running distributor option? Have you watched him play? He is considered by many including myself as our best running/distributor option in Wales. Furthermore he has a huge advantage over Evans in his kicking ability both from the tee & hand. 

As for Dan & AOB - who was selected to start our must win game on Saturday - oh that would be Dan which hardly suggests that AOB is Brad's favourite. Dan has been injured for a number of weeks = not available to play. 


Of course he is, but he's more of a well rounded 10 as well. Likes to mix it up with the boot and does lack a yard of pace compared to Anscombe and Jarrod. Not by much, but I think his height as well means the other two are a bit more useful at getting through a gap.

Mooar has rotated his team constantly. AOB has played more of the bigger games than Dan.

The constant 'have you watched him play' comments are getting really f'ing boring...
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 0.063 seconds.