Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sam Costello

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 17>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarlet Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2020 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by miaow miaow wrote:

Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

I watch that tigers academy documentary series on you tube

He always seem to be at 10 in that, looks a good player, very assured and mature I run the risk of repeating myself but he looks too small to play at  12

They have a few welsh lads there this  reiffell kid looks a star in the making  would one of the regions take a punt on him?  Then again wales have sevens coming out of our ears.

The one  tigers youngster wales and the regions should really be going flat out for is the prop heyes, he is a monster for his age and is wq. 

Would be a great addition for us and team wales

I doubt England will let Heyes slip over the border. I don't think they mind the likes of Francis going but Tompkins is probably better than some of their centres in the squad this time around. Forgett Eddie Jones, the RFU won't be happy with what's going on.

No point bringing these boys back to Wales until they do what Josh Adams has done i.e. performing to a noticeable standard in the Premiership. LRZ has done that tis season and you can guarantee the Blues etc. were in for him before he signed his contract.
Could Cardiff have gone for him? I thought no welsh region came in for him so he could play for Wales. If he turned down a welsh offer he could not play for Wales? Is that the rule? I’m genuinely not sure 🤔 
Sponsored Links

GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2020 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by crj89 crj89 wrote:

Think we need a good core of players that will be with us all year around, think our title winning side had a core of players that were available all year round.

Players like McNicholl, Parkes, Cubby, Beirne, DTH, Kruger.

Think we're crying out for a tighthead to replace Kruger, if Samson regains form it's only a matter of time before he's back in the Welsh fold so I don't think WillGriff is the answer. Sebastian will be an able substitute but I think we need to spend big at tighthead.

Think we're crying out for an outside centre also, Fonotia has been a massive loss alongside Foxy.

Also, who is full back when we lose Williams, McNicholl and Halfpenny? Back 3 is decimated. Shows how valuable Steff Evans is for the Scarlets, similar to how Dan Evans is for the Ospreys.

The pack is looking very strong in the row and back row during the international break, it's brilliant we can call on players like Ratuva, Lousi, Thomson, MacLeod, Casseim etc.

As for 15 during the 6 nations I think AOB will get his chance.
miaow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miaow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2020 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by Scarlet Emperor Scarlet Emperor wrote:

He always seem to be at 10 in that, looks a good player, very assured and mature I run the risk of repeating myself but he looks too small to play at  12

They have a few welsh lads there this  reiffell kid looks a star in the making  would one of the regions take a punt on him?  Then again wales have sevens coming out of our ears.

The one  tigers youngster wales and the regions should really be going flat out for is the prop heyes, he is a monster for his age and is wq. 

I doubt England will let Heyes slip over the border. I don't think they mind the likes of Francis going but Tompkins is probably better than some of their centres in the squad this time around. Forgett Eddie Jones, the RFU won't be happy with what's going on.

No point bringing these boys back to Wales until they do what Josh Adams has done i.e. performing to a noticeable standard in the Premiership. LRZ has done that tis season and you can guarantee the Blues etc. were in for him before he signed his contract.
Could Cardiff have gone for him? I thought no welsh region came in for him so he could play for Wales. If he turned down a welsh offer he could not play for Wales? Is that the rule? I’m genuinely not sure 🤔 

Na, irrelevant as he hasn't been capped yet. Only comes in to play if the player falls under the 60 cap rule, and LRZ doesn't yet, hence Gloucester getting that meaty first big contract out of the way early.
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2020 at 3:43pm

Yes lets not attempt to strengthen the regions
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
miaow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miaow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2020 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by crj89 crj89 wrote:

Think we need a good core of players that will be with us all year around, think our title winning side had a core of players that were available all year round.

Players like McNicholl, Parkes, Cubby, Beirne, DTH, Kruger.

Think we're crying out for a tighthead to replace Kruger, if Samson regains form it's only a matter of time before he's back in the Welsh fold so I don't think WillGriff is the answer. Sebastian will be an able substitute but I think we need to spend big at tighthead.

Think we're crying out for an outside centre also, Fonotia has been a massive loss alongside Foxy.

Also, who is full back when we lose Williams, McNicholl and Halfpenny? Back 3 is decimated. Shows how valuable Steff Evans is for the Scarlets, similar to how Dan Evans is for the Ospreys.

The pack is looking very strong in the row and back row during the international break, it's brilliant we can call on players like Ratuva, Lousi, Thomson, MacLeod, Casseim etc.

Great point and why I think our squad needs some management/redistribution of resources. And why Halfpenny might not stay...

We've got the first 3 Welsh 15s in our team but none of the Welsh wingers. In fact, we've got the only viable Welsh 15s as Amos or Holmes might come next in line but they're both a sizeable step down in quality. Based purely on squads, it would have made a lot more sense to bring back a fit and firing North and let Sanjay go to the Os, but then that's not how life works. I would ask how much impact not having a head coach is having on this front as well.

Basically, if all 3 of our 15s (Liam likely to play wing for us of course) get called up, as they should, twice a season, we don't have a proper full back option. We've played Hadleigh Parkes there in the not too distant past but those days are over. Patchell would be the obvious switch, but then he's likely to be with Wales as well, and he's not a good 15 and is our starting 10, which shows how bad that option would be.

We could do with some real quality NWQ players and unfortunately Pivac's good early recruitment is now hurting us, as Beirne has gone, and the Kiwis have qualified and been capped by Wales.

Recruitment has been good this year but in the forwards. Hopefully next season will be the backs. Definitely need a top class powerful centre, maybe let Fonotia go, and clearly we could do with a 15 option...but then how do you tempt one given how far down the pecking order they'd be for most of the season?
miaow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miaow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2020 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Yeah because it's that simple, isn't it. And it always works well for every player's development, sitting in a much worse-funded club, not playing top class rugby, than going to England...
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2020 at 4:58pm

I'd never heard of him until his name came up on SF... I also thought he looked quite small from watching the clips posted here, so I have looked at the Tigers' website.

Costelow is listed as 1.73m and 82kg, which I would say is  small for a 12 in the modern game. It's one of the discussion points about Steff Hughes as well, who is listed as 1.78m and 83kg... taller but about the same weight, so Costelow is stockier. We know Steff Hughes can do a job at 12, but he'll never be a crash-ball player, and neither will Costelow. 

By comparison, Hadleigh is 1.87m and 101kg; Owen Farrell is 1.86m and 96kg. These are 'typical' test sizes for a 12 IMO...
I share no-one's ideas. I have my own.
(Ivan Turgenev)
miaow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miaow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2020 at 5:02pm
1.73m is, what, 5' 7"? 5' 8"? That's tiny. He's going to be a small, creative 10 with a defensive problem, or he won't make the grade. He reminds me of a smaller, livelier, rounder Jarrod Evans from what I've seen of him.
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2020 at 5:11pm

Yeah because it's that simple, isn't it. And it always works well for every player's development, sitting in a much worse-funded club, not playing top class rugby, than going to England...
Are you saying Scarlets aren’t a top class side?
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2020 at 5:13pm

1.73m is, what, 5' 7"? 5' 8"? That's tiny. He's going to be a small, creative 10 with a defensive problem, or he won't make the grade. He reminds me of a smaller, livelier, rounder Jarrod Evans from what I've seen of him.

Evans is 1.78m and 86kg, so taller but only slightly heavier - I've been impressed by Evans this season and fully expect him to be bench cover for Biggar. Haven't seen enough of Costelow to form an opinion, but I suppose if someone is good enough, the coaches will find a way to cover them in defence... haven't the Scarlets been positioning the 10s at the front of line-outs on opposition throws recently?

It's certainly the case that it's harder for small guys to make the grade, especially at test level - Matthew Morgan does OK at regional level, and he is 1.73m and 78kg.
I share no-one's ideas. I have my own.
(Ivan Turgenev)
miaow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miaow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2020 at 5:52pm

No.

I'm saying the Scarlets A team  and sitting 4th choice at the region is worse than the development standards of English rugby.
Sosban bach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban bach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2020 at 6:02pm

Miaow how do you know Adams wouldn’t have developed if he had stayed with us? I guess if we are bringing this 20 in then one of ours is going and I don’t mean lamb? 
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2020 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by Once a monkey Once a monkey wrote:

Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

Originally posted by Once a monkey Once a monkey wrote:

isn’t roderick a 13?
Yes
Your Avatar surprised me.

Always had you down as an Addams.

Must be the hairstyle, certainly not the dress sense.
the mods gave it to me when i queried signing some no name from nz. They were right i was wrong 😂😂
Well confessed LOL

Looking forward to hearing OAM’s reply Wink
Founder member of Herman Tours, so named after our first ever jaunt to Munster many moons ago Big smile

Me, Chips, Jon, Sal and Lofty
Of course. I forgot. It’s not been a name mentioned for a while.
Any offence taken on board is only a literate/cy consequence. Every attempt at humour is just that. No personal insult intended. Standards lowered for trolls.
LLANDRE View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LLANDRE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2020 at 6:22pm
Is Sam Costello any relation  to Elvis Costello ?!

Edited by LLANDRE - 21 January 2020 at 6:23pm
West is Best (Fin gwybod)
townboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote townboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2020 at 6:29pm

Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Jonny Evs will be gone by the end of next season.

4 in to 2 at 10 doesn't work either.

It's pretty simple really. He's a highly rated youngster who will be wanting regional game time within 12 months. If we sign him then, like with the situation at 9, you can't keep that much talent (4 deep) in each position without hurting recruitment elsewhere.

Give our turnover of head coaches it's hard to know who's pulling the strings with recruitment, because it's obviously not just one man's vision, so it's hard to predict. If Brad were staying I'd say there's a good chance Dan Jones might leave as he really likes the look of AOB by the way he's played him. But then who knows, it's just guessing.

Either way Patchell needs to be playing for us regularly enough to challenge for the Welsh squad. With Anscombe, Biggar, and Jarrod Evans all fit and in form there's no guarantee Patch even makes the Wales squad. Jarrod Evans is pushing him now and I think they like  the way he plays as a running distributor. Basically like a second Anscombe, which Patchell isn't.

If that happens we end up with 4 Welsh 10s who need game time. That doesn't work for very long without someone taking the initiative and leaving on their own terms.

I really don't get some of your comments. Patchell is not a running distributor option? Have you watched him play? He is considered by many including myself as our best running/distributor option in Wales. Furthermore he has a huge advantage over Evans in his kicking ability both from the tee & hand. 

As for Dan & AOB - who was selected to start our must win game on Saturday - oh that would be Dan which hardly suggests that AOB is Brad's favourite. Dan has been injured for a number of weeks = not available to play. 

Of course he is, but he's more of a well rounded 10 as well. Likes to mix it up with the boot and does lack a yard of pace compared to Anscombe and Jarrod. Not by much, but I think his height as well means the other two are a bit more useful at getting through a gap.

Mooar has rotated his team constantly. AOB has played more of the bigger games than Dan.

The constant 'have you watched him play' comments are getting really f'ing boring...

AOB has started 4 games I believe, most if not all when Dan has been injured. That leaves Dan starting the vast majority of games played this season & if I'm not mistaken that means all the games apart from when he was injured. That is the reason some of fellow posters & I keep asking if you have seen the games because from some of your comments it appears you haven't. 

How many games has Dan Jones started.
How can you say that AOB played more of the bigger games,Dan has started the 11 games this season out of the 16,missed the Xmas period with rib cartiladge damage,then benched 3 games,please buy i match programme at the next game,its a good read with lots of info in there Thumbs Up
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2020 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by LLANDRE LLANDRE wrote:

Is Sam Costello any relation  to Elvis Costello ?!
yes. Hence the attractions😂👍
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 17>
  Share Topic