Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > CHAT BOARD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Scarlet Fever - thanks.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (15) Thanks(15)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scarlet Fever - thanks.
    Posted: 28 September 2014 at 7:26pm
What a terrific website and forum.
Any club would give their right arm to have a support base forum like this. No blowing smoke there, it's true.
Indulge me a bit here now please.

Without fear of contradiction this forum brought the club that I, my dad, and his dad before him followed their whole lives, back to life. It's been a blessing.

Loads of appreciation from me for the admin and mods of the board too, thankless task they have aye. Cheers to you all.

Read the forum for years in the noughties, finally plucked up courage to post a few years ago. 20 thousand or so posts later it's now appropriate to step back (about bloody time...I know)
I just checked and had something like 1500 'thanks'...that means I posted over 18,000 posts that were mostly considered bollox!!

Anyway, as I said above I'd lost my way, lost what the club truly meant to me, what with the formation of the regions, the moves from Stradey and being abroad during all of that...it was confusing...I'd turn up to random games when home, missing some of the biggest games along the way..not really sure of my place.

The forum re-connected me with all things I'd lost sight of, but much more than that, it brought to life faces that I'd seen on the terraces down the years, and was also the catalyst to meet so many more Scarlets fans, some that I can now call mates (even though they might not like it!). Awesome.

Along the way my son, Scott, had been trying to forge a career in rugby, and the forum coloured that in for me too (very colourfully at times!).

I remember watching him as an 8 year old in a touch rugby match at Ddol Wiber in Newcastle Emlyn, and thinking, Duw, wouldn't it be great if he could go on to play for Newcastle Emlyn...

Seeing him then go to trials matches with Carmarthenshire at Under 13 and 15, get the chance to play for the Scarlets U16 (putting Dan Biggar on his arse in the first 30 seconds--enjoyed it), be fortunate enough to get in to the academy with some great coaches and other players, then get selected for Wales Under 16, 18 and 20 ( I can't put in to words what seeing your son standing in front of you singing the Welsh anthem means or feels like-I do know I was an absolute mess, and still am).

Anyway...then those dark days when he was on the verge of being let go from the academy and his career at risk, to then seeing him make his debut for Llanelli RFC , and eventually securing a 1 year Development contract with The Scarlets in early 2010, and making his debut for them in the league that season...

Then a surreal 20 or so months followed, he had a few games in the Scarlets starting line up at the end of the season 2010/11 season, somehow caught Gatlands eye, got a Wales trial shot, and found himself on the plane to NZ, gets a hatrick on debut, Wales have a good campaign and he finds himself elevated to the Scarlets first team in the next season..then that try everyone talks about against England ( I could have scored that), staying the Wales squad,  and then being put on the reserve list for the Lions, all whilst being lucky enought to keep his Scarlets shirts...happy days.

All of those times were a dream for any player, and for the players family of course.

So the point of all that rambling (sorry by the way)....well, I would have given them all back to see what happened at 19.32pm on 26 September 2014 .

The exact time he led The Scarlets out of the tunnel as Captain, and I could see it on a dodgy web stream, sitting 6,000 miles away.

It won't get any better for me than that, it can't.

..and so, to me, it's the perfect time to take a back seat from the forum and let it be..

My thanks to you for your tolerance, and for those of you who have knoen the link to Scott I will always respect your support, whether that be by keeping your counsel or telling me bluntly how it was. 

PS--Scott still hasn't played for Emlyn first team mind.  His brother's the daddy when it comes to that.
Sponsored Links

157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2014 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Any club would give their right arm to have a support base forum like this. No blowing smoke there, it's true.

Without fear of contradiction this forum brought the club that I, my dad, and his dad before him followed their whole lives, back to life. It's been a blessing.

Loads of appreciation from me for the admin and mods of the board too, thankless task they have aye. Cheers to you all.

Read the forum for years in the noughties, finally plucked up courage to post a few years ago. 20 thousand or so posts later it's now appropriate to step back (about bloody time...I know)
I just checked and had something like 1500 'thanks'...that means I posted over 18,000 posts that were mostly considered bollox!!

Anyway, as I said above I'd lost my way, lost what the club truly meant to me, what with the formation of the regions, the moves from Stradey and being abroad during all of that...it was confusing...I'd turn up to random games when home, missing some of the biggest games along the way..not really sure of my place.

The forum re-connected me with all things I'd lost sight of, but much more than that, it brought to life faces that I'd seen on the terraces down the years, and was also the catalyst to meet so many more Scarlets fans, some that I can now call mates (even though they might not like it!). Awesome.

Along the way my son, Scott, had been trying to forge a career in rugby, and the forum coloured that in for me too (very colourfully at times!).

I remember watching him as an 8 year old in a touch rugby match at Ddol Wiber in Newcastle Emlyn, and thinking, Duw, wouldn't it be great if he could go on to play for Newcastle Emlyn...

Seeing him then go to trials matches with Carmarthenshire at Under 13 and 15, get the chance to play for the Scarlets U16 (putting Dan Biggar on his arse in the first 30 seconds--enjoyed it), be fortunate enough to get in to the academy with some great coaches and other players, then get selected for Wales Under 16, 18 and 20 ( I can't put in to words what seeing your son standing in front of you singing the Welsh anthem means or feels like-I do know I was an absolute mess, and still am).

Anyway...then those dark days when he was on the verge of being let go from the academy and his career at risk, to then seeing him make his debut for Llanelli RFC , and eventually securing a 1 year Development contract with The Scarlets in early 2010, and making his debut for them in the league that season...

Then a surreal 20 or so months followed, he had a few games in the Scarlets starting line up at the end of the season 2010/11 season, somehow caught Gatlands eye, got a Wales trial shot, and found himself on the plane to NZ, gets a hatrick on debut, Wales have a good campaign and he finds himself elevated to the Scarlets first team in the next season..then that try everyone talks about against England ( I could have scored that), staying the Wales squad,  and then being put on the reserve list for the Lions, all whilst being lucky enought to keep his Scarlets shirts...happy days.

All of those times were a dream for any player, and for the players family of course.

So the point of all that rambling (sorry by the way)....well, I would have given them all back to see what happened at 19.32pm on 26 September 2014 .

The exact time he led The Scarlets out of the tunnel as Captain, and I could see it on a dodgy web stream, sitting 6,000 miles away.

..and so, to me, it's the perfect time to take a back seat from the forum and let it be..

My thanks to you for your tolerance, and for those of you who have knoen the link to Scott I will always respect your support, whether that be by keeping your counsel or telling me bluntly how it was. 

PS--Scott still hasn't played for Emlyn first team mind.  His brother's the daddy when it comes to that.

Hope you have seconds thoughts over this Wil ? The forum cannot afford to lose such passionate and knowledgeable supporters
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2014 at 7:45pm
Add another thanks from here.

Great post and great story, however, within a couple of sentences the enjoyment is tainted because you know how it's going to end. And it's not a happy one.

Informative, factual, clear and humorous posting bringing clarity to a wide range of things. The quality of the forum will drop if, yet another, wise poster becomes silent.

Why is it happening? The effort of holding some of the less balanced posters to account may have taken its toll. The net makes it all too easy for anyone to express their views, many of which would be better kept private rather than public. Anyone from a troll to a genius can join in.

A sad moment.

We need all the better brains we can keep.

Any offence taken on board is only a literate/cy consequence. Every attempt at humour is just that. No personal insult intended. Standards lowered for trolls.
lofty evans View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2014 at 7:47pm
Get your head and arse in gear Chips mun, me and the Smellmiester are already saving up to get over there and sort you out.

Have a break mun and recharge.

In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"        Roger going life is good.
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2014 at 7:48pm
Honest thoughts there Wil. Thanks. But pleas take a second thought.

cheers
Mr Ian View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mr Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2014 at 7:51pm
The best fans forum of the world, other 100 years for ScarletFever, thanks to them if I can follow my team!!!
Really good post Wil,  i hope in the future have the same pride with my son...
GwentScarlet2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GwentScarlet2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2014 at 7:51pm
What an amazing story yet again, something that will not be forgotten and something new has been learnt from one of your posts yet again.

Diolch, Wil
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2014 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by lofty evans lofty evans wrote:

Get your head and arse in gear Chips mun, me and the Smellmiester are already saving up to get over there and sort you out.

Have a break mun and recharge.

Depending on which airline you choose, I might be able to help with some frequent flyer points for an upgrade.

It's important.
Any offence taken on board is only a literate/cy consequence. Every attempt at humour is just that. No personal insult intended. Standards lowered for trolls.
bazlewis View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bazlewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2014 at 8:17pm
Wil even someone as pleasant as me can fall out with posters on here, I have occasionally thought of throwing the towel in. But your posts are entertaining and enlightening think twice mun, you will be missed. Thanks for passing on knowledge to a thick Englishman.
To be a Scarlet is as good as it gets
M.M. View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M.M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2014 at 8:23pm

Fantastic post, Wil.

You will be missed from this forum (dros dro, fi'n gobethio).

Fe welwn ni chi yn Toulon. Bydd Rover yn prynnu rownd cyntaf, fi 'di clywed. 

Edited by M.M. - 28 September 2014 at 8:23pm
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2014 at 8:28pm

Phenomenal post. You will be missed and I am sure Scott will provide you with many more Scarlet moments to treasure
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
daveoda View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote daveoda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2014 at 8:29pm
Very good post Wil ,have always respected your posts ;please take time out, dont leave the forum on a permanent basis.
YMLAEN SCARLETS!!!
DDF View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote DDF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2014 at 8:31pm
Forum would be a poorer place without you.

maldwyn View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote maldwyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2014 at 8:35pm
Pack it in now Wil, what's the matter mun? Think how excited you get when you see that 'Jesus saves' graffiti on the rock on the way back to Emlyn? We'll that's how excited we are when we read some of your posts(not all). No pull yourself togetherThumbs Up
Up the bum no harm done.
kcreg View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kcreg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2014 at 8:36pm
any reason why wil chips is leaving this forum? has bad comments been made on here or what?
I WAS THERE-LIBERTY STADIUM 11/9/07 & 26/3/16

OSPREYS 9-SCARLETS 14!
OSPEYS 16-SCARLETS 25!
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2014 at 8:53pm
Since I have been on SF there has been nothing but praise and pride for Scott as a player and young man. He is a top talent although it's not been his best season so farby his high standards  after about 6 hours of rugby! Hardly a lifetime and form is temporary but class is permanent (did I get that right??!!) . Scott is held in the highest regard and you forget how young these guys are and the expectations on basically youngsters (to me anyway! ). So I hope Chips is stepping down for a rest rather than anything to do with Scott as that young man is well regarded -Personally I like the idea of Gareth and Scott swapping positions but that is just short term strategic view after 4 games and nothing else. Take a month off and come back refreshed Chips!  
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic