Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Scarlets announce a profit!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2020 at 6:20pm
This season (July 19-June 20) we will have the compensation from NZ RFU for Brad Mooar, we will have at least one extra match in Europe and I can see us having an extended run in the Pro14 (playoffs), that should cover any extra money put aside for this season’s new recruits, namely Tex and Sam.
This great club / region of ours have got a great business model which has slowly turned the club into a shining light for others to aspire too.  We have achieved this whilst owning our own stadium, training facilities, something non of the other welsh regions can boast, along with some of the Gallagher Premiership sides, who also often post large loses on a yearly basis despite larger catchment areas and larger sponsors.
It’s a great news story in a week when we have seen Saracens exposed as financially cheating the system and being relegated as a result.
Sponsored Links

M.M. View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M.M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2020 at 6:38pm
Originally posted by miaow miaow wrote:

Originally posted by Legendinmybathroom Legendinmybathroom wrote:

Originally posted by tim d tim d wrote:

Still no mention of it in the fail.
Well are you really surprised, a good news story involving the Scarlets.
If it was all doom and gloom about our finances it would probably be front and back page news, they would rather carry news about premiership players playing after being sent off last weekend, obviously far more important and interesting news than the Scarlets being 1 of only 2 top flight sides in Europe making a financial profit Last season.

That's just the nature of tabloid/clickbait journalism. Actual news isn't all that interesting to most people. We're living in an age of mind mush and sensationalism, and constant online propaganda and echo chambers. They're just a symptom.

I take your point but it's quite illuminating to see our National newspaper totally ignore a very positive story regarding 1 of our only 4 pro sides.

Myself, I would not make excuses for their pandering to various "foolish" elements within Welsh rugby.
miaow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote miaow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2020 at 7:00pm
Originally posted by M.M. M.M. wrote:

Originally posted by tim d tim d wrote:

Still no mention of it in the fail.
Well are you really surprised, a good news story involving the Scarlets.
If it was all doom and gloom about our finances it would probably be front and back page news, they would rather carry news about premiership players playing after being sent off last weekend, obviously far more important and interesting news than the Scarlets being 1 of only 2 top flight sides in Europe making a financial profit Last season.

That's just the nature of tabloid/clickbait journalism. Actual news isn't all that interesting to most people. We're living in an age of mind mush and sensationalism, and constant online propaganda and echo chambers. They're just a symptom.

I take your point but it's quite illuminating to see our National newspaper totally ignore a very positive story regarding 1 of our only 4 pro sides.

Myself, I would not make excuses for their pandering to various "foolish" elements within Welsh rugby.

"National newspaper" Dead

But yes, fair point. It'll presumably have 2 lines in the next article about the Scarlets signing or re-signing a player and that'll be it.
Legendinmybathroom View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2020 at 8:46pm
Finally the WOL have written about our financial results.  They took almost a day to report on it, allowing them time turn it into a luck old Scarlets having much more funding from the WRU, whilst poor old Dragons get considerably less.  
Typical gutter press from the fail, stirring things up with rival fans etc.  They failed to mention the fact that we are the only region that own their own stadium and training facilities (which cost money to build) and are not reliant on other clubs allowing them to play their home games at their respective grounds, although they did mention that the funding is allocated based not solely on the number of players supplied to the international team but also to things such as business plans and the strength of the academies, where we are currently doing very well.
totallybiasedscarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote totallybiasedscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2020 at 10:47pm

Finally the WOL have written about our financial results.  They took almost a day to report on it, allowing them time turn it into a luck old Scarlets having much more funding from the WRU, whilst poor old Dragons get considerably less.  
Typical gutter press from the fail, stirring things up with rival fans etc.  They failed to mention the fact that we are the only region that own their own stadium and training facilities (which cost money to build) and are not reliant on other clubs allowing them to play their home games at their respective grounds, although they did mention that the funding is allocated based not solely on the number of players supplied to the international team but also to things such as business plans and the strength of the academies, where we are currently doing very well.

Have you seen the comments? Jeez, Wales is tribal.
"If it's on, we back our skills and our confidence ... We've got some great players, play a good brand and we enjoy doing it." Ken Owens
Legendinmybathroom View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2020 at 1:27am
Originally posted by totallybiasedscarlet totallybiasedscarlet wrote:

Have you seen the comments? Jeez, Wales is tribal.
Yes I have seen the comments, some really tribal ones, some people just can’t stand the Scarlets having an ounce of success, regardless of whether it comes on or off the field, yet they would have no problems supporting the Scarlets players when they wear the red of Wales and win grand slams and reach the semifinals of the World Cup.
Unfortunately that’s what gutter press do when they have to try and sensationalise any story.  If they just congratulated us on making a profit without making such an issue over the level of funding from the WRU, these idiots who commented would probably be none the wiser and probably wouldn’t have bothered commenting.  The fact that the fail tried to sensationalise it got these people to react in such a derogatory and unpleasant way,  poor journalism yet again.
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2020 at 8:40am
This narrative that we're getting preferential treatment so should be the best crept in a few months ago, and people are starting to use it as an excuse for their own regions performances.

There's various factors to it but ultimately the biggest thing the WRU and Welsh public want is a successful national team supported by a successful regional game, and we're consistently supplied the most players to the national team so need to backfill during the large periods we haven't got those players.

For me it's compensation for supplying players, not funding for a squad. Not only have we supplied over a 3rd of the players to the national squad for the past 3 years we've also supplied the head, attack and defence coaches.

This model is a huge carrot for producing and developing international players because it doesn't damage the region in the process. I appreciate it's easier to say this from our position but I think it's a bit short sighted of people to complain about it because it doesn't suit them at this particular point in time.
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2020 at 10:16am
Originally posted by Gate12 Gate12 wrote:

This narrative that we're getting preferential treatment so should be the best crept in a few months ago, and people are starting to use it as an excuse for their own regions performances.

There's various factors to it but ultimately the biggest thing the WRU and Welsh public want is a successful national team supported by a successful regional game, and we're consistently supplied the most players to the national team so need to backfill during the large periods we haven't got those players.

For me it's compensation for supplying players, not funding for a squad. Not only have we supplied over a 3rd of the players to the national squad for the past 3 years we've also supplied the head, attack and defence coaches.

This model is a huge carrot for producing and developing international players because it doesn't damage the region in the process. I appreciate it's easier to say this from our position but I think it's a bit short sighted of people to complain about it because it doesn't suit them at this particular point in time.

ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2020 at 10:28am
There was a time, not long ago, when the O's benefitted, when NDC's were awarded to Dan Baker and Rory Thornton, sadly neither have made it to international standard. There may have been others who had NDC's who didn't make it for whatever reason, Tyler  Morgan was one I think. 
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2020 at 10:43am

From memory didn't Roger Lewis commit to getting a certain amount of players on NDC's by a set date so just chucked anyone that would sign one on them?

What a well thought out idea and implementation that was.

It's taken a while but I think we're getting somewhere now, just hope that self interest doesn't mess it all up.

Edited by Gate12 - 27 January 2020 at 10:44am
NobbySosban View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote NobbySosban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2020 at 11:21am

Nigel Short and the Board have seen for some time how the funding model should be (and has been) developed - to reward and properly fund the pro teams for delivering top quality players for Wales, and a sustainable club with community engagement and player development paths. Blending in NWQ players and a world class coaching group have been key ingredients in season-round performance and developing an environment of excellence.

It's probably the case that Chairman Mawr has helped to lead the PRB agreement in this direction, but the other pro teams have been slower to gear themselves to the new reality - I think they've been looking at the CVC deal as a life-saver/goldmine and are waiting for their bacon to be saved when the money rolls in, whereas the Scarlets Board have focused on getting to that launchpad already in top shape. The complaints of other pro teams' fans and coaches are somewhat misplaced.

The more I learn about how Short & Co. have shaped the business, the more grateful I am for the people we have at the top - this set of results simply moves my admiration up a couple more notches, particularly the funding directors who continue to support the club's aspirations and have written off £4+m to get us to this point. Diolch enfawr iddyn nhw i gyd. ClapClapClap

Edited by NobbySosban - 27 January 2020 at 12:00pm
Rob o'r Bont View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2020 at 11:47am
Originally posted by NobbySosban NobbySosban wrote:

Nigel Short and the Board have seen for some time how the funding model should (and has been) developed - to reward and properly fund the pro teams for delivering top quality players for Wales, and a sustainable club with community engagement and player development paths. Blending in NWQ players and a world class coaching group have been key ingredients in season-round performance and developing an environment of excellence.

It's probably the case that Chairman Mawr has helped to lead the PRB agreement in this direction, but the other pro teams have been slower to gear themselves to the new reality - I think they've been looking at the CVC deal as a goldmine and are waiting for their bacon to be saved when the money rolls in, whereas the Scarlets Board have focused on getting to that launchpad already in top shape. The complaints of other pro teams' fans and coaches are somewhat misplaced.

The more I learn about how Short & Co. have shaped the business, the more grateful I am for the people we have at the top - this set of results simply moves my admiration up a couple more notches, particularly the funding directors who have written off £4.5m to get us to this point. Diolch enfawr iddyn nhw i gyd. ClapClapClap
Two great posts.  Well done to the Board. Clap
That's the Scarlets, its in their DNA.
miaow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miaow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2020 at 6:00pm
That comment section is a reminder that the internet is full of a loud, vocal minority of people with personal issues.

It's also some deeply dishonest 'journalism'. "Some fans might ask-" bleurrrgh. Shut up.

I wonder how much of it is also some latent hangover from the hacks who came through during the time the Scarlets were getting bailed out by the WRU 15 years ish ago. Not just where they work and come from, but that sense of 'we hammered them then, let's hammer them now'.
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2020 at 6:18pm

That comment section is a reminder that the internet is full of a loud, vocal minority of people with personal issues.

It's also some deeply dishonest 'journalism'. "Some fans might ask-" bleurrrgh. Shut up.

I wonder how much of it is also some latent hangover from the hacks who came through during the time the Scarlets were getting bailed out by the WRU 15 years ish ago. Not just where they work and come from, but that sense of 'we hammered them then, let's hammer them now'.
ole ole ole ole
30th june 1986- 30th june 2011.25 years roofing,i wouldn't call that dodgy.
miaow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miaow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2020 at 6:24pm
Manchester United fan are we, ladram? Thought you sounded more like a soccer fan...
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2020 at 6:39pm
Originally posted by Rob o'r Bont Rob o'r Bont wrote:

Originally posted by NobbySosban NobbySosban wrote:

Nigel Short and the Board have seen for some time how the funding model should (and has been) developed - to reward and properly fund the pro teams for delivering top quality players for Wales, and a sustainable club with community engagement and player development paths. Blending in NWQ players and a world class coaching group have been key ingredients in season-round performance and developing an environment of excellence.

It's probably the case that Chairman Mawr has helped to lead the PRB agreement in this direction, but the other pro teams have been slower to gear themselves to the new reality - I think they've been looking at the CVC deal as a goldmine and are waiting for their bacon to be saved when the money rolls in, whereas the Scarlets Board have focused on getting to that launchpad already in top shape. The complaints of other pro teams' fans and coaches are somewhat misplaced.

The more I learn about how Short & Co. have shaped the business, the more grateful I am for the people we have at the top - this set of results simply moves my admiration up a couple more notches, particularly the funding directors who have written off £4.5m to get us to this point. Diolch enfawr iddyn nhw i gyd. ClapClapClap
Two great posts.  Well done to the Board. Clap

Hear, hear!Clap
I share no-one's ideas. I have my own.
(Ivan Turgenev)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic