Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Scarlets Finances

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2019 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by SospanMawr SospanMawr wrote:

Originally posted by Speedy Speedy wrote:

Originally posted by Rich (Bris) Rich (Bris) wrote:

Excellent news!! Yes we all have some ideas to improve things but lets leave that for another thread and celebrate the great financial turn-around.

Roll up roll up and join the great supreme financial turn around. It will take your mind off the lack of decent rugby at our club.

Marvel at how business focussed we are as a business, despite Rugby being our business and actually failing at that.

Bank balances mean nothing if there is no product to sell.

Roll up roll up.

The freakshow continues in the all new Challenge sheid parker pen.

Roll up roll up.

Roll cowing on.
Completely disrespectful that you’re having a moan about people who have invested millions of pounds just to keep professional rugby in this town, because you don’t agree with how they do it.

Without the hard work, money and business savvy put in by these board members our closest rugby team would be the Ospreys. Think about that.

Well said 👍👍👍👍👍
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook
Sponsored Links

Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2019 at 6:11pm
Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Excellent news!! Yes we all have some ideas to improve things but lets leave that for another thread and celebrate the great financial turn-around.

Roll up roll up and join the great supreme financial turn around. It will take your mind off the lack of decent rugby at our club.

Marvel at how business focussed we are as a business, despite Rugby being our business and actually failing at that.

Roll up roll up.

Roll up roll up.

Roll cowing on.
This is such an embarrassing and ignorant post
spot on scarletnut.
at the end of the day, pro sport is business.
Scarlets is business.
I have to take this part:
"Marvel at how business focussed we are as a business, despite Rugby being our business and actually failing at that.
Bank balances mean nothing if there is no product to sell."
In tough financial times in the country, tough financial times for pro rugby in general, we are doing extremely well. In recent years, under Pivac, he has guided us to 1 x Pro14 Title, 2 x Pro14 finals, 1 x Champions Cup Semi Final...not really sure how you can say that's failure for us in the last 5 years.
but are you saying its wrong for the scarlets to put business before rugby??? of course they have to do that...with business side fails, scarlets disappear! simple as that.

Pro sport is business? Its business is the sport it claims to represent. That product has to be the main objective.

Everything is arse backwards. Even when we show a glimpse of having a proper team it always falls to crap within 2 years. we NEVER EVER kick on.

Pardon me if I dont join in the celebration of our books looking better than our rugby team.

Edited by Speedy - 13 August 2019 at 6:12pm
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2019 at 6:16pm
Our business is Rugby. Llanelli Scarlets rugby to be precise. Its great having balanced books, a tidy stadium, etc, but when you have no clubhouse for supporters, and a poor product on show for them to watch, plus the downward spiral of lesser competitions, those books will need to have their expendature cropped if they want to carry on balancing them.

We are at a major crossroads I feel. We cant afford to be asleep when world rugby has its inevitable shake up.
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2019 at 6:16pm

Roll up roll up.

Roll up roll up.

Roll cowing on.
spot on scarletnut.
Scarlets is business.
"Marvel at how business focussed we are as a business, despite Rugby being our business and actually failing at that.
In tough financial times in the country, tough financial times for pro rugby in general, we are doing extremely well. In recent years, under Pivac, he has guided us to 1 x Pro14 Title, 2 x Pro14 finals, 1 x Champions Cup Semi Final...not really sure how you can say that's failure for us in the last 5 years.
but are you saying its wrong for the scarlets to put business before rugby??? of course they have to do that...with business side fails, scarlets disappear! simple as that.

Pro sport is business? Its business is the sport it claims to represent. That product has to be the main objective.

Everything is arse backwards. Even when we show a glimpse of having a proper team it always falls to crap within 2 years. we NEVER EVER kick on.

Pardon me if I dont join in the celebration of our books looking better than our rugby team.
It is the main objective but that can't be achieved without a sound business plan. It's almost as if you haven't considered what we're up against.
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2019 at 7:03pm

Roll up roll up.

Roll up roll up.

Roll cowing on.
spot on scarletnut.
Scarlets is business.

speedy,have you tried putting sugar in your tea?
30th june 1986- 30th june 2011.25 years roofing,i wouldn't call that dodgy.
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2019 at 7:24pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

Roll up roll up.

Roll up roll up.

Roll cowing on.
spot on scarletnut.
Scarlets is business.

speedy,have you tried putting sugar in your tea?

A blinking sack please Ladram !🤨😂
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2019 at 7:57pm
Or someone’s doctored the sugar.
Any offence taken on board is only a literate/cy consequence. Every attempt at humour is just that. No personal insult intended. Standards lowered for trolls.
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2019 at 7:59pm
Originally posted by Rob o'r Bont Rob o'r Bont wrote:

We have had more success on and off the field these last few years than we have ever had since the game went professional.  This is a golden age for the Scarlets. Hats off to the management team. Clap

Succinct and the most central of bullseyes.

Any offence taken on board is only a literate/cy consequence. Every attempt at humour is just that. No personal insult intended. Standards lowered for trolls.
SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2019 at 9:07pm

Our business is Rugby. Llanelli Scarlets rugby to be precise. Its great having balanced books, a tidy stadium, etc, but when you have no clubhouse for supporters, and a poor product on show for them to watch, plus the downward spiral of lesser competitions, those books will need to have their expendature cropped if they want to carry on balancing them.

We are at a major crossroads I feel. We cant afford to be asleep when world rugby has its inevitable shake up.
This is just absolute nonsense. The most important thing in modern rugby is money, and that’s undeniable.
Ask fans of Border Reivers, the Celtic Warriors, the Sunwolves etc.

You hide behind this idea that you’re the only person who sees what’s the real problem is, but really you just ignore all financial/business considerations and moan about anything and everything, ranging from the paint on the stadium, to who makes the jersey, to now even moaning about having balanced books!

As I said above, disrespectful to people who put far more time, money and effort into the club than you (or 99.9% of this forum) do.
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2019 at 10:14pm

This is just absolute nonsense. The most important thing in modern rugby is money, and that’s undeniable.

You hide behind this idea that you’re the only person who sees what’s the real problem is, but really you just ignore all financial/business considerations and moan about anything and everything, ranging from the paint on the stadium, to who makes the jersey, to now even moaning about having balanced books!

As I said above, disrespectful to people who put far more time, money and effort into the club than you (or 99.9% of this forum) do.

This forum? erm, perhaps you might want to ask where the rest of this forum has gone over the last few years? Why they are so apathetic to the same old soundbites and excuses year in year out. I am probably the last who isnt lapping up everything that comes out of PYS. Ive sat thro too many false dawns and seen to many  promising teams be torn apart by poor planning and organisation.

Its a sad sign of this forum that when someone tries pointing out the obvious they are roundly booed into shameful silence. But then thats never been my style. 

May I flip your little theory on me on its head. Have you ever thought its because I [beep]ing care so much that watching my club be so apathetic in its ethos is whats killing me? Because of what Ive put this [beep]ing club in front of in my life? All my [beep]ing life?

And now 40 year later you have the knee jerk reaction to put down my loyalty because I cant sugar coat crap sounbites anymore?

This club will never change, it will never address its flaws, and thats why it will never be consistently succseful. Instead leaving its fans to invent make believe success. Championing new pitches and bank balances like they are a victory over the All blacks or a European cup win.

Nah its just me, I am just negative. lol.
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2019 at 10:16pm
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

Roll up roll up.

Roll up roll up.

Roll cowing on.
Completely disrespectful that you’re having a moan about people who have invested millions of pounds just to keep professional rugby in this town, because you don’t agree with how they do it.

Without the hard work, money and business savvy put in by these board members our closest rugby team would be the Ospreys. Think about that.

Well said 👍👍👍👍👍

Thanks.
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2019 at 10:43pm

This forum? erm, perhaps you might want to ask where the rest of this forum has gone over the last few years? Why they are so apathetic to the same old soundbites and excuses year in year out. I am probably the last who isnt lapping up everything that comes out of PYS. Ive sat thro too many false dawns and seen to many  promising teams be torn apart by poor planning and organisation.

Its a sad sign of this forum that when someone tries pointing out the obvious they are roundly booed into shameful silence. But then thats never been my style. 

May I flip your little theory on me on its head. Have you ever thought its because I [beep]ing care so much that watching my club be so apathetic in its ethos is whats killing me? Because of what Ive put this [beep]ing club in front of in my life? All my [beep]ing life?

And now 40 year later you have the knee jerk reaction to put down my loyalty because I cant sugar coat crap sounbites anymore?

This club will never change, it will never address its flaws, and thats why it will never be consistently succseful. Instead leaving its fans to invent make believe success. Championing new pitches and bank balances like they are a victory over the All blacks or a European cup win.

Nah its just me, I am just negative. lol.
Will never address its flaws? Will you listen to yourself. The club has posted a profit only a few years after nearly going bust. If that’s not addressing its flaws then I don’t know what is.
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Exkixu View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exkixu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2019 at 11:58pm

Roll up roll up.

Roll up roll up.

Roll cowing on.
spot on scarletnut.
Scarlets is business.

Maybe you have to get used to the idea that kicking on, as in regularly winning silverware, is not something that is going to happen anytime soon unless every planet aligns; huge budget, recruitment, academy development, injuries, luck... for 2-3 consecutive years at least.  

Also, we've had plenty of years losing up to half a million pounds and nothing to show for it in terms of silverware, so not sure why you are making this connection between budget/profit and team perfomance. Plenty of teams out there in England and France that spend what they do not have (and a lot more than what we have btw) and win sweet f.a.

Edited by Exkixu - 13 August 2019 at 11:59pm
1 Xavier Rush   2 Rhys Priestland   3 David Lyons   Cardiff Blues - Scarlets, 26/09/09      

More carries than any of our forwards. Priestland Fan Club Proud Member
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2019 at 12:29am
I think the phrase for our fellow member Speedy is to just have a rational  “reality check “. We have a big historical name but we are not a big moneyed club in the modern professional game. We punch well above our financial weight in a poor area and we should savour our achievements not knock the club and it’s benefactors. Support is needed not rampant negativity before the season even starts !  Let’s move on please not squabble on the negativity. 
Mundoscarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mundoscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2019 at 9:16am
to be honest speedy,let's be honest,we had a huge injury list last year,the players that have left this season have been replaced by better,not lost as n the previous season.barclay and beirne were huge losses ,and were always going to return to respective home countries at some point.the biggest loss was Scott,as aled was more than replaced by hardy.the biggest issues this season will be World Cup etc,so don't hold your breath as I can see us struggle,but on the flip side,I think our coaching team is probably stronger now than I can remember for many a year 
Micro Duck View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote Micro Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2019 at 9:32am
The business of pro rugby only takes up around 13 days every year.

Even with play offs and European games, it's less than 20 days out of 365.

You can't run a business like that.

Parc y Scarlets is the year round business which enables the rugby to exist.

If you try to run the business on rugby, you fail.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic