Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Scarlets in WRU Autumn 2017 squad

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobbySosban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2017 at 12:08pm
Given up being surprised by some of Gatland & Co.s' selection decisions, but I guess they're not chasing RWC ranking points in these AIs. More about blooding new players, but the inconsistency in keeping some out-of-form players and dropping others is bewildering, and I'll bet a number of the newbies will get to 'spend time in the Wales environment' without any game time.

Owen Williams can borrow the 12 shirt from Scott for 3 games, Hadleigh can have it for the 4th, but I'm sure he'll want it back.

One of the Scarlets' goals for the season has been achieved, mind - 13 in the Wales squad, ahead of Ospreys with 9. More Dragons (5) than Blues (4, although Blue-eyed boy Seb Davies is in having signed senior terms), and well-deserved call-ups for Shingler and Priestland.

Twitterer @ebenezer68
Sponsored Links

Once a monkey View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Pull !!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Once a monkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2017 at 12:08pm
I wonder what sort of message this sends out to a player like Scott who could earn considerably more plying his trade abroad, but instead showed loyalty to his region of origin.

I like Saucy, but he shouldn't be near a Welsh squad in a professional age when there is no excuse for developing your own.

#George
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2017 at 12:24pm
Barclay called up by Scotland as is Luke Hamilton
joss View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2017 at 12:27pm
Massive kick in the teeth for Scott, it doesn't surprise me with the shower of sh!t we have in charge
What kind of message does it send out to young players 😡😡
#HUMANTOURS Rise above the rest
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2017 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by randelan randelan wrote:

Also this a Scarlets forum.

Could not care that much regarding Wales in the Autumn.

Don't seem to help us..
Yep. We shall be down 13 Welsh caps and now Barclay . Devasting for the Region.
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2017 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

Originally posted by randelan randelan wrote:

Also this a Scarlets forum.

Could not care that much regarding Wales in the Autumn.

Don't seem to help us..
Yep. We shall be down 13 Welsh caps and now Barclay . Devasting for the Region.

But this is what comes with being league champions.
Micro Duck View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Micro Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2017 at 12:44pm
Sounds like Cubby could be on the plane for the SA trip. 
*NEW* KIDS HALFPENNY T SHIRTS
ON SALE NOW

http://llanellitee.spreadshirt.co.uk
gaffer View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2017 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by joss joss wrote:

Massive kick in the teeth for Scott, it doesn't surprise me with the shower of sh!t we have in charge

Don't think he's played anywhere near his best form  this season and certainly nowhere near international standard. He's better off playing with us than bench-warming with Wales for a month. Far more likely to improve that way.
What's going on?
PearlJam View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
IT skilled man of detail

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PearlJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2017 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by gaffer gaffer wrote:

Don't think he's played anywhere near his best form  this season and certainly nowhere near international standard. He's better off playing with us than bench-warming with Wales for a month. Far more likely to improve that way.

Plus, what better incentive for him than ensuring he gets his Wales shirt back? This time last year, Scott was going into the AIs as the form centre in the Northern Hemisphere and he has regressed slightly, no doubt.

But he's an incredibly talented player and maybe this will do him good. We criticise the Welsh coaches, but if someone isn't playing well, they shouldn't get picked. It's what they've done here, but it doesn't totally explain the presence of some of the Dragons / Ospreys selections.
If you're losing your soul and you know it, then you've still got a soul left to lose.
bynea_bullet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bynea_bullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2017 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by gaffer gaffer wrote:

Totally agree, Scott hasn't been on form for a while.

Needs game time with us to get back into his stride, and at the end of the day he's got 4-5 more years ahead of him international wise.

Rather see him left out to rebuild, than be fed to the slaughter, blamed and forgotten.
No costly hangers on please! We've a business to run!!
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2017 at 12:59pm
Congratulations to both Rhys Patchell and Rhys Priestland in their includions as well, for different reasons.
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2017 at 1:24pm
Yes rather than talk about omissions let's applaud Gatland for bringing back Priestland as well as introducing some young players like Watkin. So much rugby to be played with such a small playing base. Plenty of rugby to fill plates between now and end of season!
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook
scarletsmad_87 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletsmad_87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2017 at 1:38pm
Will Parkes be in the Wales camp from Day 1 are will he just be called in later for the SA preparations? 

sgsmorgan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
LAVERYS ON THE RIGHT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgsmorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2017 at 1:44pm
Class is permanent..form temporary.......[beep]ing daft decision but given the muppets running welsh rugby at the present nothing surprises me any more.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2017 at 1:47pm
Congratulations to all the Scarlets selected - and commiserations to all who were close but missed out.

In truth, Scott has not been at his best, yet, this season - so it will be no bad thing to give him a chance to play himself back into form with the Scarlets. I'm as sure as I can be that he hasn't won his last Welsh cap. Well done, Hadleigh - of course, perhaps the regulations should be tighter - but they're not, and all the other countries benefit to the nth degree, so why shouldn't we? Just look at how many players England and France have picked up in recent years...

For my money, Ryan Elias has been pretty unlucky - though the other hookers selected are tidy players, so again from a Scarlets PoV it's a good thing.

I'm not really surprised that Doc is out, though he's been a stalwart and a guy I respect - more surprised that Charteris isn't in, as the second row looks a bit young and inexperienced as it is. I just wonder if Wales will actually turn up for these AIs, or just use them as a weeding out process for the 6N as they seem to do in most years.
I share no-one's ideas. I have my own.
(Ivan Turgenev)
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2017 at 2:08pm
Scott not being selected is a total travesty. He may not be at his sparkling best but he is well worth a place in that squad. Owen Williams has hardly played this season so is Gatland really suggesting he is a better 12 than Scott? 

Useful mixture of fair selections & total bollocks. What must Cubby be thinking - he plays the majority of competitive games for us over the past two seasons nearly always MOM or thereabouts & doesn't get a look in and Sam Cross starts one game & is in the squad ahead of Ollie Griffiths - someone please explain that to me.

Frankly if I was either Cubby or Scott I would be seriously considering where my future lay from 2018 onwards.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>
  Share Topic