Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  New Posts New Posts
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login


Scarlets make trade loss of 1.3m

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Message
Scarlet Growler View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 24 January 2012
Location: Pembrokeshire
Status: Offline
Points: 1050
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarlet Growler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2013 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

Youll learn infinitely more about welsh rugby and scarlets rugby on here than any edition of the western snail
 
ok so can someone clarify a few points please
 
1) what exactly is the sky deal and when does it begin?
 
2) approx how much did we get for the land sold in the southern car park?
 
3) do we have an estimate how much extra we earn from making the play offs? and potentially the final?
 
4) Is the new store still going ahead? if so , when?
 
5) what do these directors actually get for their investment? It amazes me how much time and money they put in?
 
 
other than that I share the very cautious optimism of most posters. yes the debt has increased by £1.3 million which isnt exactly good news. but the rate of increase has decreased by £500,000 in a year.
- The negative is crowds are down this season by 750 a match and we were awful in europe
- The upside. we may reach the play offs.
-Our squad looks a bit stronger with some shrewd signings like earle, snyman, barclay eyc (a heck of a lot stronger up front but the backs need a few signings)
-money makers- car park sale, sky deal, nigel pay off, ben morgan pay off, george north £250k, etc
 
-cutbacks-also offloading higher earners , stevo, rees, george, stoddard (sad as it was) , also several others such as tavis, fenby, reed, welch, day, pugh, etc many of whom werent really producing the goods for us.
 
- A new store would seriously increase our revenue and revenue streams. though I think the stadium store should also be open longer hours.
 
-we seem to have the strongest academy in wales. the talent we produce for the senior scarlets and also the welsh national team, as well as other regions is just amazing.  without that talent would the WRU have made the 2nd most money in the past few years? (2nd to the RFU only) No hell no.  yes some of the funding comes via the WRU but isnt it our money anways from tv deals? etc
 
not only have we supplied in the past year alone, around 13 welsh internationals and another 2 lions.......look at the rest of the welsh team and regions, how many players started here? a lot. how do you value that amazing conveyor belt of talent, some of it world class talent? 
The wru as usual seem to know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
 
 
Were walking the line line between break-even and success on the field and keeping the fans happy. this last few months has been very encouraging. balance is key, we dont want to end up like glamorgan cricket club
 

Excellent post Sir. The opening comment is superb and you make some really good observations throughout.

We've cut the loss to £1.3 million p.a. and that is before the sales last Summer of Ben Morgan, and the reduction in the wage bill by the loss of  Nigel and Stevo among other, and then again the sales this year and similar reduction in the wages bill. The Sky TV deal helps things along too. All of which is pointing us in the correct direction towards the aim of breaking even, or at least having a loss per annum that is manageable. The facilities at the new stadium are good too which will alos help to increase revenue. 

To me the Western Fail's news is so far out of date to effectively be of little value other than to show that things are better to the tune of £0.5 million from the previous year. 

It seems the Scarlets are a year or two further along the cost cutting road than the Blues or spreys while at the same time being stronger on the field of play too.  We seem to have the makings of a competitive pack which needs a little improvement in the back row while the backs are again 1 or 2 players shy of being seriously competitive. We might not have reached the heights yet but both financially and on the field of play we are going in the right direction.....
Yma o Hyd

North Enclosure Choir member since the Stradey Days.
Back to Top
Sponsored Links


Back to Top
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Avatar
Don't blink

Joined: 15 August 2004
Location: Pemberton
Status: Offline
Points: 18364
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2013 at 3:49pm
Thought we all hated the Western mail?
Back to Top
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler
Avatar

Joined: 08 April 2005
Location: United Kingdom
Status: Offline
Points: 20081
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2013 at 3:53pm
will we get a tax rebate cos we are losing money?Wink
30th june 1986- 30th june 2011.25 years roofing,i wouldn't call that dodgy.
Back to Top
scarlet_rob View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 16 August 2004
Status: Offline
Points: 4946
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarlet_rob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2013 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by Mrfwon Mrfwon wrote:

Originally posted by haydn_davies haydn_davies wrote:

Two major things have happened since June 2012 which haven't been reflected in the loss:
1 - Big-name players on larg salaries have left us, including transfer fees for two of them (Morgan and North)
2 - The sale of the land to the south of the roundabout where the new restaurant/hotel are currently being built.

These two factors combined could well bring us to break even by June 2013.

Can't wait until the Fail sees the day we do!!
 
Forgot about that, well remembered! Clap Also, the new store in town will be opening at some point too! Clap

The new store opening is great but I'm sure i heard somewhere that the stadium shop is being made smaller which could hit match day sales.
Back to Top
Captain View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 25 March 2005
Status: Offline
Points: 765
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2013 at 5:07pm
How can it hit match day sales? We don't have it now (in town) so even a small new shop will only increase sales

Edited by Captain - 02 May 2013 at 5:08pm
Back to Top
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 30 August 2010
Status: Offline
Points: 10512
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2013 at 5:09pm
Originally posted by Captain Captain wrote:

How can it hit match day sales? We don't have it now (in town) so even a small new shop will only increase sales
I think he meant the shop we already have at the stadium will get smaller
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Back to Top
wetweatherwinger View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 27 September 2009
Location: Seventh Heaven
Status: Offline
Points: 2309
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetweatherwinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2013 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by Mugwuffin Mugwuffin wrote:


Originally posted by Gastric Band Gastric Band wrote:

Anyone know how the other welsh regions are doing financially?


Ospreys made a loss of £1.9 million and Cardiff Blues a loss of £2.3 million last season. Both have cut back on squad costs since. Cardiff are also no longer paying to rent the soccer stadium, which I have read somewhere was costing them around £1 million per season. 

We have cut our wage bill by 2m with the loss of 7 players and 2 big coach wages and hope to break even this year I would suggest that both us and the Scarlets are in the same financial position because we've trimmed down expenditure but income has increased slightly. Interesting times with Sky coming in!
Back to Top
rolly View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 31 December 2007
Status: Offline
Points: 6376
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2013 at 9:32pm
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

Youll learn infinitely more about welsh rugby and scarlets rugby on here than any edition of the western snail
 

ok so can someone clarify a few points please

 

1) what exactly is the sky deal and when does it begin?

 

2) approx how much did we get for the land sold in the southern car park?

 

3) do we have an estimate how much extra we earn from making the play offs? and potentially the final?

 

4) Is the new store still going ahead? if so , when?

 

5) what do these directors actually get for their investment? It amazes me how much time and money they put in?

 

 

other than that I share the very cautious optimism of most posters. yes the debt has increased by £1.3 million which isnt exactly good news. but the rate of increase has decreased by £500,000 in a year.

- The negative is crowds are down this season by 750 a match and we were awful in europe

- The upside. we may reach the play offs.

-Our squad looks a bit stronger with some shrewd signings like earle, snyman, barclay eyc (a heck of a lot stronger up front but the backs need a few signings)

-money makers- car park sale, sky deal, nigel pay off, ben morgan pay off, george north £250k, etc

 

-cutbacks-also offloading higher earners , stevo, rees, george, stoddard (sad as it was) , also several others such as tavis, fenby, reed, welch, day, pugh, etc many of whom werent really producing the goods for us.

 

- A new store would seriously increase our revenue and revenue streams. though I think the stadium store should also be open longer hours.

 

-we seem to have the strongest academy in wales. the talent we produce for the senior scarlets and also the welsh national team, as well as other regions is just amazing.  without that talent would the WRU have made the 2nd most money in the past few years? (2nd to the RFU only) No hell no.  yes some of the funding comes via the WRU but isnt it our money anways from tv deals? etc

 

not only have we supplied in the past year alone, around 13 welsh internationals and another 2 lions.......look at the rest of the welsh team and regions, how many players started here? a lot. how do you value that amazing conveyor belt of talent, some of it world class talent? 

The wru as usual seem to know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

 

 

Were walking the line line between break-even and success on the field and keeping the fans happy. this last few months has been very encouraging. balance is key, we dont want to end up like glamorgan cricket club

 
The new store is being kit out now and the sscarlets and the council made off the sale of the car park .
Back to Top
SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 03 April 2013
Location: The North Stand
Status: Offline
Points: 7255
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2013 at 9:35pm
I was told the new store has had another set back as the floor wasn't laid properly and it all had to be torn up and put back down. This was only a few weeks after it was originally laid! The Scarlets should claim compensation for potential income lost.
Back to Top
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler
Avatar

Joined: 23 August 2009
Location: Africa
Status: Offline
Points: 37519
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2013 at 1:44am
Roy, just my view...

1) what exactly is the sky deal and when does it begin?

Starts in Sept 2014 and will broadcast (live) 30 Rabo matches on a Saturday, taking up the time slots Sky currently have (but have lost to BT from Sept 2014) for Aviva games.
They also have bought the rights to the play offs and final.
The numbers mooted about is that this could mean a £250k windfall for each Rabo team, this would go in to the 2014/15 club accounts (so 2 years away).
This is all in addition to the existing deal (which is still in negotiation to b extended from 2014 incidentally, with BBC, RTE, TG4, Alba and S4C).
I'd suggest the dis-proportionate amount of money Sky ispaying for what is just 33 of 125 matches likely to be airedis to do with...
1)-Sky simply being better payers.
2)-Having the first choice of each game each week that they wish to broadcast?
3) Buying the play offs and final games, which in the end will draw most viewers apart from loal derbies (and leads me to believe point 2 is right).

There is a chance of course tht the current BBC/Alba/TG4/RTE deal might be threatened as Sky elbow their way to the 'crown jewel' games leaving thise guys with less attractive matches...and they may want to pay less as a consequence....see for example the Xmas fixture between O's and Scarlets....if that was tsken by Sky...how would the BBC/S4C guys feel?

A lot of this is to come out in the wash...


2) approx how much did we get for the land sold in the southern car park?

Sorry not known for sure, but a low six figure sum was mooted.


3) do we have an estimate how much extra we earn from making the play offs? and potentially the final?

We get % of any gate plus some TV money. It is suggested that the O's, playing their home SF last season v Munster (which was not in the season ticket so the 10k+ were all paying) , and then a final with 19k paying at the RDS in Dublin , took a slice of gross income hike of about £0.3m as a consequence. Doesn't sound like much but its a lit for a business with a total turnover of £8m




4) Is the new store still going ahead? if so , when?
Small delay, defiantely going ahead.


5) what do these directors actually get for their investment? It amazes me how much time and money they put in?

Apart from the obvious best seats in the house, nothing of note. Investing in most sporting set ups is hardly good business.
Labout of love and we are v lucky to have a lot of lovers!

Edited by Wil Chips - 03 May 2013 at 1:50am
Back to Top
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 30 August 2010
Status: Offline
Points: 10512
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2013 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Roy, just my view...

1) what exactly is the sky deal and when does it begin?

Starts in Sept 2014 and will broadcast (live) 30 Rabo matches on a Saturday, taking up the time slots Sky currently have (but have lost to BT from Sept 2014) for Aviva games.
They also have bought the rights to the play offs and final.
The numbers mooted about is that this could mean a £250k windfall for each Rabo team, this would go in to the 2014/15 club accounts (so 2 years away).
This is all in addition to the existing deal (which is still in negotiation to b extended from 2014 incidentally, with BBC, RTE, TG4, Alba and S4C).
I'd suggest the dis-proportionate amount of money Sky ispaying for what is just 33 of 125 matches likely to be airedis to do with...
1)-Sky simply being better payers.
2)-Having the first choice of each game each week that they wish to broadcast?
3) Buying the play offs and final games, which in the end will draw most viewers apart from loal derbies (and leads me to believe point 2 is right).

There is a chance of course tht the current BBC/Alba/TG4/RTE deal might be threatened as Sky elbow their way to the 'crown jewel' games leaving thise guys with less attractive matches...and they may want to pay less as a consequence....see for example the Xmas fixture between O's and Scarlets....if that was tsken by Sky...how would the BBC/S4C guys feel?

A lot of this is to come out in the wash...


2) approx how much did we get for the land sold in the southern car park?

Sorry not known for sure, but a low six figure sum was mooted.


3) do we have an estimate how much extra we earn from making the play offs? and potentially the final?

We get % of any gate plus some TV money. It is suggested that the O's, playing their home SF last season v Munster (which was not in the season ticket so the 10k+ were all paying) , and then a final with 19k paying at the RDS in Dublin , took a slice of gross income hike of about £0.3m as a consequence. Doesn't sound like much but its a lit for a business with a total turnover of £8m




4) Is the new store still going ahead? if so , when?
Small delay, defiantely going ahead.


5) what do these directors actually get for their investment? It amazes me how much time and money they put in?

Apart from the obvious best seats in the house, nothing of note. Investing in most sporting set ups is hardly good business.
Labout of love and we are v lucky to have a lot of lovers!
cheers for that Mr ChipsWink
So taking into account the land sale, lowest estimate £100k, the george sale at £250k and (touch wood) making the play offs (even if its just the semi) that could net us £100k....were already at least £450k better off.......plus our annual tv income should also increase by £250k from sept 2014 Thats assuming we get what we're owed from WRU and the beeb/s4c deal remains the same.....
 
Theres obviously several other sales and recruitments,But these figures are certainly more encouraging imho......Did we gain anything from Judgement day? do you think we would ever forfeit a home game to play at the national stadium?
 
 
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Back to Top
Iwlew View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 04 April 2013
Location: Wales
Status: Offline
Points: 9121
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iwlew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2013 at 3:40pm
We're getting there slowly.
And we were singing...
Back to Top
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 27 April 2009
Status: Offline
Points: 10389
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2013 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Roy, just my view...

1) what exactly is the sky deal and when does it begin?

Starts in Sept 2014 and will broadcast (live) 30 Rabo matches on a Saturday, taking up the time slots Sky currently have (but have lost to BT from Sept 2014) for Aviva games.
They also have bought the rights to the play offs and final.
The numbers mooted about is that this could mean a £250k windfall for each Rabo team, this would go in to the 2014/15 club accounts (so 2 years away).
This is all in addition to the existing deal (which is still in negotiation to b extended from 2014 incidentally, with BBC, RTE, TG4, Alba and S4C).
I'd suggest the dis-proportionate amount of money Sky ispaying for what is just 33 of 125 matches likely to be airedis to do with...
1)-Sky simply being better payers.
2)-Having the first choice of each game each week that they wish to broadcast?
3) Buying the play offs and final games, which in the end will draw most viewers apart from loal derbies (and leads me to believe point 2 is right).

There is a chance of course tht the current BBC/Alba/TG4/RTE deal might be threatened as Sky elbow their way to the 'crown jewel' games leaving thise guys with less attractive matches...and they may want to pay less as a consequence....see for example the Xmas fixture between O's and Scarlets....if that was tsken by Sky...how would the BBC/S4C guys feel?

A lot of this is to come out in the wash...


2) approx how much did we get for the land sold in the southern car park?

Sorry not known for sure, but a low six figure sum was mooted.


3) do we have an estimate how much extra we earn from making the play offs? and potentially the final?

We get % of any gate plus some TV money. It is suggested that the O's, playing their home SF last season v Munster (which was not in the season ticket so the 10k+ were all paying) , and then a final with 19k paying at the RDS in Dublin , took a slice of gross income hike of about £0.3m as a consequence. Doesn't sound like much but its a lit for a business with a total turnover of £8m




4) Is the new store still going ahead? if so , when?
Small delay, defiantely going ahead.


5) what do these directors actually get for their investment? It amazes me how much time and money they put in?

Apart from the obvious best seats in the house, nothing of note. Investing in most sporting set ups is hardly good business.
Labout of love and we are v lucky to have a lot of lovers!
cheers for that Mr ChipsWink
So taking into account the land sale, lowest estimate £100k, the george sale at £250k and (touch wood) making the play offs (even if its just the semi) that could net us £100k....were already at least £450k better off.......plus our annual tv income should also increase by £250k from sept 2014 Thats assuming we get what we're owed from WRU and the beeb/s4c deal remains the same.....
 
Theres obviously several other sales and recruitments,But these figures are certainly more encouraging imho......Did we gain anything from Judgement day? do you think we would ever forfeit a home game to play at the national stadium?
 
 
 
isnt the land sale revenue to ccc?
Back to Top
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler
Avatar

Joined: 23 August 2009
Location: Africa
Status: Offline
Points: 37519
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2013 at 4:41pm
I'm told it's separate, at the same time it really ought not to be.

We also get £50k for each selected Brtsh Lion Roy, those lump sums definately help the trading status.
Back to Top
Scarlet Growler View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 24 January 2012
Location: Pembrokeshire
Status: Offline
Points: 1050
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarlet Growler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2013 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

I'm told it's separate, at the same time it really ought not to be.

We also get £50k for each selected Brtsh Lion Roy, those lump sums definately help the trading status.

Do we get the 50k for George or does that go to Saints for the disruption they'll suffer at the start of the season though? I assume Lions players will start a little later in the season.....
Yma o Hyd

North Enclosure Choir member since the Stradey Days.
Back to Top
wizard View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar
No Longer An Admin of SF

Joined: 06 August 2004
Location: Wales
Status: Offline
Points: 6734
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2013 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by PearlJam PearlJam wrote:

2011-2012... That shows the salaries of Stephen Jones, Lamont, Smiler, Iestyn, Rhys Thomas, Moggs, Cooper et al. doesn't it?

We've trimmed our cloth accordingly and sold Ben Morgan, George North so we're clearly in the midst of implementing this strategy. Additional funding from SKY will undoubtedly help.

We still don't know what the balance is - what the Academy can produce and where we need signings to enhance / balance the squad. This isn't something that can be done overnight - it's hell of a testament to the Board that we're allowed to do this and much credit has to be given to them for funding us. It's only right that we break-even - every business has to.

I can't wait for the day when we post a profit - even it it is £1 - just to stuff it down the throats of the Western Mail, Ponty fans and the apathetic glittery-cowboy hat wearing Welsh rugby fan.



Plus Nigel Davies
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.04
Copyright ©2001-2015 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 0.063 seconds.