Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  New Posts New Posts
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login


Scarlets new number 8 ?

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Message
PTScarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 12 August 2009
Location: Thailand
Status: Offline
Points: 3191
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PTScarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2014 at 9:25pm
Just my personal opinion here.
Does anyone agree with me that if this does go ahead it is very short sighted from the team? Its more of a stop gap for around a year , two at a push with his age rather than building for the future. Not knocking the player as he is a great ball carrier and is one of the players i have enjoyed watching in the Aviva.
One eyed turk, nothing more nothing less.
Back to Top
Sponsored Links


Back to Top
henry_winkler View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar
Don’t believe a word......

Joined: 12 January 2007
Status: Offline
Points: 1852
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote henry_winkler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2014 at 9:30pm
Originally posted by PTScarlet PTScarlet wrote:

Just my personal opinion here.
Does anyone agree with me that if this does go ahead it is very short sighted from the team? Its more of a stop gap for around a year , two at a push with his age rather than building for the future. Not knocking the player as he is a great ball carrier and is one of the players i have enjoyed watching in the Aviva.
 
 
 
In my opinion we too often look too far ahead and have a team full of potential but not enough ready for the here and now....  look at Leinster, they sign the likes of Rocky Elsom on a 3 month contract, not the same class but it's the same principle.
 
Get players in that can hit the ground running now and phase them out with youngsters and signings like Dan Baker etc in a year or so
 
Back to Top
Turkish Fez View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 30 October 2005
Location: Ruislip, Middx.
Status: Offline
Points: 8560
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turkish Fez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2014 at 9:41pm
You also have to take into account with the uncertainty of what the future holds for our league that it may be hard to attract quality for a while. In view of this we cannot go without a proper seasoned 8 for another season. So if it means having Chris as first choice next season whilst the mess the Welsh game is in sorts itself out then we can benefit from his arrival. He even at his age will be head and shoulders above what Timani can offer and on a regular basis.
We all had Doctor's papers!
Back to Top
kcreg View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 10 January 2006
Location: Paris
Status: Offline
Points: 12072
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kcreg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2014 at 9:45pm
its a great signing if you ask me.i don't give a shit about his age.he's just the type we're looking for I reckon.a very fit,strong,physical,35yr old ball carrying wrecking machine is good enough for me thanks.
I WAS THERE-LIBERTY STADIUM 11/9/07 & 26/3/16

OSPREYS 9-SCARLETS 14!
OSPEYS 16-SCARLETS 25!
Back to Top
Tim Opolis View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 21 April 2008
Location: Llanelli
Status: Offline
Points: 17219
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tim Opolis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2014 at 9:47pm
I'm sure he'll hit the ground running, I just hope his zimmer doesnt wreck the pitch! Wink
Tymor nesa Duw, plis tymor nesa.
Back to Top
Mike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group


Joined: 16 August 2004
Location: Cardiff
Status: Offline
Points: 21522
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2014 at 10:05pm
Originally posted by henry_winkler henry_winkler wrote:

In my opinion we too often look too far ahead and have a team full of potential but not enough ready for the here and now....  look at Leinster, they sign the likes of Rocky Elsom on a 3 month contract, not the same class but it's the same principle.
 
Get players in that can hit the ground running now and phase them out with youngsters and signings like Dan Baker etc in a year or so
 
This is spot on.
 
An old bully like Hala'ufia will be much better for us than a project player like say Lachlan McCaffrey who we were linked with last year.
 
We are currently too short on 30+ old heads.
Back to Top
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 08 May 2005
Location: Wales
Status: Offline
Points: 6746
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2014 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by Mike Mike wrote:

Originally posted by henry_winkler henry_winkler wrote:

In my opinion we too often look too far ahead and have a team full of potential but not enough ready for the here and now....  look at Leinster, they sign the likes of Rocky Elsom on a 3 month contract, not the same class but it's the same principle.
 
Get players in that can hit the ground running now and phase them out with youngsters and signings like Dan Baker etc in a year or so
 
This is spot on.
 
An old bully like Hala'ufia will be much better for us than a project player like say Lachlan McCaffrey who we were linked with last year.
 
We are currently too short on 30+ old heads.

I'd say cool heads also !
Back to Top
Mugwuffin View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 24 July 2010
Location: Llanelli
Status: Offline
Points: 5246
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mugwuffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2014 at 10:16pm
Originally posted by PTScarlet PTScarlet wrote:

Just my personal opinion here.
Does anyone agree with me that if this does go ahead it is very short sighted from the team? Its more of a stop gap for around a year , two at a push with his age rather than building for the future. Not knocking the player as he is a great ball carrier and is one of the players i have enjoyed watching in the Aviva.

I wish we had a stopgap 8 of his calibre this season.
Back to Top
NobbySosban View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 30 June 2010
Location: Sir Berk
Status: Offline
Points: 4319
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote NobbySosban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2014 at 12:23am
Chris Hallelujah rumours gathering pace in the twittersphere. Like Olly Barkley, more short-term than short-sighted if true, esp if on pay-per-play.

Twitterer @ebenezer68
Back to Top
thescarlet View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: 11 July 2013
Location: Llanelli
Status: Offline
Points: 518
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote thescarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2014 at 12:50am
Originally posted by Mugwuffin Mugwuffin wrote:

Originally posted by PTScarlet PTScarlet wrote:

Just my personal opinion here.
Does anyone agree with me that if this does go ahead it is very short sighted from the team? Its more of a stop gap for around a year , two at a push with his age rather than building for the future. Not knocking the player as he is a great ball carrier and is one of the players i have enjoyed watching in the Aviva.

I wish we had a stopgap 8 of his calibre this season.

ok well I guess then we shall just have to make do with a 6-{mcusker} playing 8 for a couple more seasons- in my opinion even a lyear contract of an experienced 8 of his calibre would add team spirit/experience and teach mccusker how to control the ball at the base of the pack.
I was there !!!!
Back to Top
RedZep View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 22 December 2010
Location: Pembs
Status: Offline
Points: 4329
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote RedZep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2014 at 12:57am
I'd be far more concerned if we were looking at a 35 year old forward who'd never had any disciplinary issues. I want my pack to have served time not poxy suspensions.
'' Know your three R's, son..... Rugby, Rock and Ridin'!! ''
Back to Top
scarletabroad View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 12 July 2011
Location: Hertfordshire
Status: Offline
Points: 3729
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote scarletabroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2014 at 2:10pm
Bloody hell here we have by all accounts a one man wrecking machine, the original all singing and dancing No.8 who smashes defences and loves the contact.
 
A London Irish fan has come on here and more than adequately expalined the disciplinary record and proved how reliable he is in his matches played.
 
He started playing top flight rugby quite late 26 I think is has been said which means wear and tear will not be as bad again highlighted by his matches played evry game in one season.
 
We are not blessed with age experience, we are not blessed with big ball carriers, we are not blessed with players who have some GRUNT, We are not blessed with players with experience against Aviva and French teams.
 
So if he is there for the taking lets bloody have him, the thought of our scrum being solid, giving the big H a solid platform to hit up and smash a hole for Barclay to then link to the Priest to set the likes of The King and Scott off is unbelieavbly mouth watering, what is there not to like!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Thumbs Up add to the fact we may not have to kick as much as we are boshing our way up the pitchClap
Back to Top
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler
Avatar

Joined: 08 April 2005
Location: United Kingdom
Status: Offline
Points: 20869
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2014 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by scarletabroad scarletabroad wrote:

Bloody hell here we have by all accounts a one man wrecking machine, the original all singing and dancing No.8 who smashes defences and loves the contact.
 
A London Irish fan has come on here and more than adequately expalined the disciplinary record and proved how reliable he is in his matches played.
 
He started playing top flight rugby quite late 26 I think is has been said which means wear and tear will not be as bad again highlighted by his matches played evry game in one season.
 
We are not blessed with age experience, we are not blessed with big ball carriers, we are not blessed with players who have some GRUNT, We are not blessed with players with experience against Aviva and French teams.
 
So if he is there for the taking lets bloody have him, the thought of our scrum being solid, giving the big H a solid platform to hit up and smash a hole for Barclay to then link to the Priest to set the likes of The King and Scott off is unbelieavbly mouth watering, what is there not to like!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Thumbs Up add to the fact we may not have to kick as much as we are boshing our way up the pitchClap
can he play 6?Wink
30th june 1986- 30th june 2011.25 years roofing,i wouldn't call that dodgy.
Back to Top
lofty evans View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler
Avatar

Joined: 20 September 2007
Location: Bonymaen
Status: Offline
Points: 47375
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2014 at 2:30pm
We once had a real no 8 in Scotty, Lyons, Big Ben and then a fantastic fanatical no 6 asked to fill in where once we had Giants.

My word only Scotty played behind a Scarlet pack that could punch, dictate and stand toe to toe with anyone. All the others dug their size 12 togs into the ground and try and halt a retreating pack and tbis happened for years and years, hung my head in shame at it all, but the named guys gave 110% to the Scarlet cause, immense they were.

But here now in this season we have a front five to be proud off, my gawd they are bullying other packs and are not afraid to mix it and jeez the ole heart starts pumping high blood pressure with the passion it ignites.....bloody love it and yet after all these years and development, we have been crying out for another barn storming giant to wear the coveted no 8 Scarlet shirt.

Saw this hoped for no 8 on the recorded highlights and he was watching a Scarlet side stopping a Welsh region white wash of home and away wins this season. And what a time to sit down and take in all the fire and passion breathed that night, from a Scarlet side that didnt give an inch and individual brilliance that won the game. Brilliant, brilliant exposure to all things Scarlet and he had Gareth Jenkins alongside him to give him the required bullet points, as the team smashed the Munster glory trail.

Discipline issues aside, if this guy can deliver the forward momentum behind the brillift front five we have and with Barclay and Rob on the flanks, with Cawdor, Rhys, Scott, King and others raring to exploit the holes, we may be on a golden period at long last.

We have prayed for a 8, we may have the found missing link with a guy who would have survived in prehistoric times,,,,,bring it on....club and all.

In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"        Roger going life is good.
Back to Top
scarletabroad View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 12 July 2011
Location: Hertfordshire
Status: Offline
Points: 3729
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote scarletabroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2014 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by lofty evans lofty evans wrote:

We once had a real no 8 in Scotty, Lyons, Big Ben and then a fantastic fanatical no 6 asked to fill in where once we had Giants.

My word only Scotty played behind a Scarlet pack that could punch, dictate and stand toe to toe with anyone. All the others dug their size 12 togs into the ground and try and halt a retreating pack and tbis happened for years and years, hung my head in shame at it all, but the named guys gave 110% to the Scarlet cause, immense they were.

But here now in this season we have a front five to be proud off, my gawd they are bullying other packs and are not afraid to mix it and jeez the ole heart starts pumping high blood pressure with the passion it ignites.....bloody love it and yet after all these years and development, we have been crying out for another barn storming giant to wear the coveted no 8 Scarlet shirt.

Saw this hoped for no 8 on the recorded highlights and he was watching a Scarlet side stopping a Welsh region white wash of home and away wins this season. And what a time to sit down and take in all the fire and passion breathed that night, from a Scarlet side that didnt give an inch and individual brilliance that won the game. Brilliant, brilliant exposure to all things Scarlet and he had Gareth Jenkins alongside him to give him the required bullet points, as the team smashed the Munster glory trail.

Discipline issues aside, if this guy can deliver the forward momentum behind the brillift front five we have and with Barclay and Rob on the flanks, with Cawdor, Rhys, Scott, King and others raring to exploit the holes, we may be on a golden period at long last.

We have prayed for a 8, we may have the found missing link with a guy who would have survived in prehistoric times,,,,,bring it on....club and all.

I have a dream Lofty I have a dream
Back to Top
Mrfwon View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 17 January 2008
Location: Basingstoke
Status: Offline
Points: 16433
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrfwon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2014 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by henry_winkler henry_winkler wrote:

Originally posted by PTScarlet PTScarlet wrote:

Just my personal opinion here.
Does anyone agree with me that if this does go ahead it is very short sighted from the team? Its more of a stop gap for around a year , two at a push with his age rather than building for the future. Not knocking the player as he is a great ball carrier and is one of the players i have enjoyed watching in the Aviva.
 
 
 
In my opinion we too often look too far ahead and have a team full of potential but not enough ready for the here and now....  look at Leinster, they sign the likes of Rocky Elsom on a 3 month contract, not the same class but it's the same principle.
 
Get players in that can hit the ground running now and phase them out with youngsters and signings like Dan Baker etc in a year or so
 
Correct! Clap
 
In this particular instance, if we had an 8 coming through the system, then I wouldn't say so much, but it doesn't look like we have. Rob has done ok to be fair, but it is clear that we need a specialist 8 in the squad, and a good ball carrying one at that.
Guinness Pro 12 Champions 2017...get in!
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.04
Copyright ©2001-2015 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 0.063 seconds.