Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Scarlets Statement

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote minded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scarlets Statement
    Posted: 06 March 2019 at 1:02pm

Some facts and timeline ...

Firstly, we can confirm the statement issued by the Professional Rugby Board (PRB) on Tuesday afternoon as accurate, as are the comments made by Wales’ national coach that the proposed merger was driven by the regions, in consultation with the PRB.

In late December, the Scarlets received a high-level approach from the Ospreys to explore the option of a merger as they had come to the conclusion that their position as tenants at the Liberty Stadium was proving to be challenging.

This was discussed at the two-day strategy meeting of PRB on January 8th and 9th. The loss of a region would have put Welsh rugby in breach of its commitment to having four regions playing in the major competitions. As a result, the option of a team playing out of North Wales was raised.

By the time of the next PRB meeting on February 5, discussions had broken down between the Scarlets and Ospreys and we were told that the Ospreys and another region were in talks over a possible merger, again with North Wales being the option to maintain four teams.

Subsequently, those discussions also broke down and we were approached again last week by the Ospreys to reconsider a merger.

Heads of terms were agreed and signed by the Ospreys and Scarlets on March 1 on terms we believe our supporters would be happy with. This was to be proposed at a meeting of the PRB on Tuesday afternoon, but we were told at the start of that meeting that the Ospreys had changed their mind.

The merger is off the table.

In recent years, the Scarlets have been building steadily to regain our place as one of Europe’s leading sides. We have a superb stadium, great staff, loyal and passionate supporters and a team to be proud of. We know that the problems regarding Welsh rugby have not gone away but we remain committed to the best interests of the Scarlets and the game in Wales.

Sponsored Links

henry_winkler View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Don’t believe a word......

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote henry_winkler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2019 at 1:05pm
So they would have played in red at pys with a scarletty name. Can't fault our board there.

Fscarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2019 at 1:06pm
There we go then, as you were.

The only thing that I am slightly concerned about it whether the 'ifs & buts', that the board will have been aware of since December, has affected our recruitment for next season....
henry_winkler View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Don’t believe a word......

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote henry_winkler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2019 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

There we go then, as you were.

The only thing that I am slightly concerned about it whether the 'ifs & buts', that the board will have been aware of since December, has affected our recruitment for next season....

I'd guess it almost certainly has
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2019 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by henry_winkler henry_winkler wrote:

So they would have played in red at pys with a scarletty name. Can't fault our board there.

where does it say that?
30th june 1986- 30th june 2011.25 years roofing,i wouldn't call that dodgy.
Once a monkey View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Pull !!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Once a monkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2019 at 1:09pm
Civil War time for the regions then
#George
jonathan2835 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonathan2835 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2019 at 1:10pm
Is that what the statement says?

"terms we believe our supporters would be happy with" There is no detail or meat on the bone there!

Originally posted by henry_winkler henry_winkler wrote:

NobbySosban View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobbySosban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2019 at 1:19pm
Good statement from Nigel. No hyperbole, no hysteria, just facts. ClapClapClap

"The merger is off the table."
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2019 at 1:21pm
I still can't believe that given the battle we had to stand alone that we were prepared to merge now irrespective of  what the terms were,some people have very short memories.
30th june 1986- 30th june 2011.25 years roofing,i wouldn't call that dodgy.
Mr Ian View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Mr Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2019 at 1:22pm
All is well what ends well. Now take back Scott Williams with us
EJPT View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2019 at 1:25pm
Ospreys are stuffed now it seems, unless they can pull in some major investors i don’t see them lasting in their current form. I reckon they could be shipped up North.
The merger might be off but we could still be in for a couple of their players. Them pulling out will has not fixed their circumstances.
But hopefully we can get on signing our deals and the Ospreys dont drag this out longer than it needs to be.
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2019 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by EJPT EJPT wrote:

Ospreys are stuffed now it seems, unless they can pull in some major investors i don’t see them lasting in their current form. I reckon they could be shipped up North.
The merger might be off but we could still be in for a couple of their players. Them pulling out will has not fixed their circumstances.
But hopefully we can get on signing our deals and the Ospreys dont drag this out longer than it needs to be.

It will be interesting to see what happens as the phrase that has caught my eye more than once, during this all, is the WRU are legally bound to provide 4 sides in the Pro 14 until 2022. So one could think that the Ospreys are saying 'well you're going to have to help us or break the agreement'.

There is of course, no way that the WRU could get a fully functioning region in North Wales in 5 months...
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2019 at 1:29pm

Ospreys are stuffed now it seems, unless they can pull in some major investors i don’t see them lasting in their current form.

You never know what Rob Davies' plans are though. He might be empowered by all this.
crj89 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crj89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2019 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

It will be interesting to see what happens as the phrase that has caught my eye more than once, during this all, is the WRU are legally bound to provide 4 sides in the Pro 14 until 2022. So one could think that the Ospreys are saying 'well you're going to have to help us or break the agreement'.

There is of course, no way that the WRU could get a fully functioning region in North Wales in 5 months...

What would it take to make RGC a fully fledged region? The Premiership is being ring fenced, would just mean one less team getting relegated.

Also, which Ospreys players are out of contract? Who'd want to stay there after that statement from the Scarlets.
EJPT View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2019 at 1:35pm
Yeah there are plenty of North wales teams the WRU could regionalise. Zebre were made out of the dust of aironi and a local team at short notice, latching on to that history gives the team some sort of identity.
minded View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2019 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

I still can't believe that given the battle we had to stand alone that we were prepared to merge now irrespective of  what the terms were,some people have very short memories.
This was never a merger by any stretch, despite the word being banded about

Edited by minded - 06 March 2019 at 1:37pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic