Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > CHAT BOARD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Scarlets Supporters for Independence

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cymroircarn9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scarlets Supporters for Independence
    Posted: 31 August 2018 at 11:01am
Hi everyone, some of you may or may not have seen on Facebook/Twitter but I’ve recently started a Scarlets supporters for independence group.

There are a few similar groups that have cropped up recently (Welsh football and rugby fans) so I thought as the Scarlets it would be pretty strange for us to not get involved! I’m aware that not every scarlet supports independence however so it’s important to say that the group doesn’t presume to speak for Scarlets supporters as a whole.

I have a season ticket and will make most home games this year although I’ll struggle at times due to money and work commitments. It would be really good to have some of the hardcore fans who make every game home and away on board. Plus anyone else who wants to, even if you only make one or two a year, the more the merrier! Would any of you be interested?

I thought an ideal date to meet up would be on the day of Leinster home, before the game, in New Dock Stars rfc? Where we can discuss what kind of stuff we can do going forward e.g. banners, marches etc.

Let me know your thoughts, diolch
Sponsored Links

Cymroircarn9 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cymroircarn9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2018 at 11:03am
This is what I posted on Facebook and Twitter if anyone wants to know more:

Hi! Welcome to Scarlets Supporters for Independence, a group for any Scarlets who believe in independence for Wales from the United Kingdom.

There are various independence groups cropping up around the country right now, with many people feeling disillusioned with how Wales is being treated by the Westminster government and the ineptitude of the Welsh Assembly.

West Wales has always been a stronghold for this sentiment, and the Scarlets represent west Wales on an international stage. For many people, the Scarlets are synonymous with west Wales in the same way that rugby is synonymous with Wales. This gives us a fantastic platform to get our message into the public domain and make ourselves heard.

Despite the movement having made huge progress in the last 12 months alone, the media has given it little to no coverage. Sporting occasions are a time where the media are given no choice but to cover it, which is why sport is such an important platform and why we as Scarlets supporters have such a great opportunity.

Judging from the recent poll undertaken on the Scarlets Rugby Supporters' page, there is an overwhelming majority of support for independence. If we can translate this support into action, particularly on match-days, we could have a massively positive impact.

The aim of this group is to not be party-leaning in any way, but to unite people in the cause of independence for Wales. Left, right or centrist, anyone is welcome as long as they believe in the cause.

We will also not tolerate any racism, xenophobia, or incitement of hatred towards any group - we believe that for the Welsh independence movement to succeed, we need to be fully united regardless of background.
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2018 at 11:13am
Moved to chat board as nothing to do with Scarlets.

Please post in the appropriate section. Thanks.
Westwalian View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Westwalian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2018 at 11:36am
This is something I'd be interested in. Would be great to see if it gathers much momentum
Defender of Priestland
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cymroircarn9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2018 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by Westwalian Westwalian wrote:

This is something I'd be interested in. Would be great to see if it gathers much momentum

Inboxed you 👍🏼
sreve19 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sreve19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2018 at 12:28pm
Too political for a rugby forum. 😔
diego6754 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diego6754 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2018 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by sreve19 sreve19 wrote:

ClapClapClap

Completely agree. I come on here to get away from politics. Wrong place whatever category it is in. Plus its sort of insinuates Scarlets supporters are for independence and uses the Scarlets brand to promote a movement that has absolutely nothing to do with the Scarlets, the fans or rugby in general.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cymroircarn9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2018 at 12:33pm

I disagree, because I think sport and politics are intertwined whether we like it or not. We sing yma o hyd at every game.

I think this issue, political as it is, is more relevant to the Scarlets than any other sporting organisation in Wales.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cymroircarn9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2018 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by diego6754 diego6754 wrote:

ClapClapClap

Completely agree. I come on here to get away from politics. Wrong place whatever category it is in. Plus its sort of insinuates Scarlets supporters are for independence and uses the Scarlets brand to promote a movement that has absolutely nothing to do with the Scarlets, the fans or rugby in general.

Fair point, but I’ve already stated it doesn’t presume to speak for every Scarlets supporter. It has everything to do with the Scarlets for reasons I’ve previously mentioned. Sport is political whether we like it or not. It should never overshadow the game itself and nothing this group does would ever aim to do that
diego6754 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diego6754 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2018 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by Cymroircarn9 Cymroircarn9 wrote:

ClapClapClap

Fair point, but I’ve already stated it doesn’t presume to speak for every Scarlets supporter. It has everything to do with the Scarlets for reasons I’ve previously mentioned. Sport is political whether we like it or not. It should never overshadow the game itself and nothing this group does would ever aim to do that

We'll agree to disagree on this cause my ideology of sport is that it isn't political at all, sport should bring people together, no matter what creed, colour, social standing or any other demographic you can think of. Sport is not a place for devisive self interest. Sport is the game of footy between armys in no mans land, its the coming together of four nations as the B&I lions, its chatting crap to someone who can be so different to you in background and beliefs but it doesn't matter cause you share a passion for one thing. Sport is no place for politics. Sorry.
Sosban bach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Sosban bach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2018 at 12:58pm

So this is too political yet we have a brexit thread going for pages and pages? It may have been started I the wrong section but it's a topic that's welcome as is other non rugby content.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cymroircarn9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2018 at 1:18pm

ClapClapClap

We'll agree to disagree on this cause my ideology of sport is that it isn't political at all, sport should bring people together, no matter what creed, colour, social standing or any other demographic you can think of. Sport is not a place for devisive self interest. Sport is the game of footy between armys in no mans land, its the coming together of four nations as the B&I lions, its chatting crap to someone who can be so different to you in background and beliefs but it doesn't matter cause you share a passion for one thing. Sport is no place for politics. Sorry.

Why can't it do both? Like I've said, the aim isn't to overshadow the events on the field, nor is it to cause division between fans of either sets of supporters, least of all our own. 

Yet you can't deny sport is political. Countries are political entities, arguably the most historic and intense rivalry in rugby is Wales and England, and this rivalry is intensified due to political history (amongst other things of course, I'm not saying sport is purely political, but it is a combination of the two). 

Liverpool and Manchester United, two of the most famous football clubs in the world, are rivals in big part due to the Manchester Shipping Canal being built. Politics. Real (Royal) Madrid and Barcelona, Catalonia vs. Spanish Royal Family. Politics. Sport wouldn't be as interesting without it. 

And whether you like it or not, the Scarlets' official anthem is Yma O Hyd, a song that is literally about politics. You can't sing about Maggie Thatcher at every Scarlets game and then claim rugby isn't at least in part political. 

People balk at the mention of politics sometimes without realising that it makes up the fabric of who we are.

Owen111 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Owen111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2018 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by Sosban bach Sosban bach wrote:

So this is too political yet we have a brexit thread going for pages and pages? It may have been started I the wrong section but it's a topic that's welcome as is other non rugby content.

T H I S
scarletabroad View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletabroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2018 at 1:30pm
So what about the many English fans I’m already in the dog house with my English wife for having to get premier sports!!!

Edited by scarletabroad - 31 August 2018 at 1:32pm
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cymroircarn9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2018 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by scarletabroad scarletabroad wrote:

So what about the many English fans I’m already in the dog house with my English wife for having to get premier sports!!!

I know a ton of English people who are pro Welsh independence, it’s a pro wales movement not an anti-England one
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2018 at 1:36pm

ClapClapClap

I think the danger is the Scarlets association. It's fine when it's something you agree with but if there was a 'Scarlets supporters for the right to bear arms' group, then there would possibly be controversy despite it being completely within the law.

I think you'll just have to tread carefully due to this association, as has been said previously in the thread.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
  Share Topic