Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > CHAT BOARD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Scarlets Supporters for Independence

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2018 at 1:37pm
If you don’t like it ignore it. It’s not hard to do.
Sponsored Links

greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2018 at 2:16pm
Great idea! Always fancied living in a cave and foraging for food to stay alive.
We can use our spare time to build a wall between us and England and develop our own defence weapons. Spears and bows and arrows should be just about affordable.
Keep the faith
Cymroircarn9 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cymroircarn9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2018 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by SospanMawr SospanMawr wrote:

If you don’t like it ignore it. It’s not hard to do.

Exactly. 
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2018 at 2:26pm
This reminds me a bit about “Woolfie Smith “for those of you old enough to remember the show!😉 However there is to be fair, a time me and a place for everything but ,on a Scarlets centred Rugby form I prefer discussion on rugby related matters tbh.
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cymroircarn9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2018 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by greypower1 greypower1 wrote:

Great idea! Always fancied living in a cave and foraging for food to stay alive.
We can use our spare time to build a wall between us and England and develop our own defence weapons. Spears and bows and arrows should be just about affordable.

Either have a serious debate or don't bother. Comments like this are so boring
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cymroircarn9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2018 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

This reminds me a bit about “Woolfie Smith “for those of you old enough to remember the show!😉 However there is to be fair, a time me and a place for everything but ,on a Scarlets centred Rugby form I prefer discussion on rugby related matters tbh.

Hahaha, wow, of all the comments being made this is probably the most insulting!! LOL
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't blink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2018 at 3:26pm
Banners and marches at games? So does this mean people can campaign against Brexit on match day or supporting labour or conservative government at election time? I’m sure people feel passionate about it but I don’t think it will be suitable on a match day.

Edited by SA14 - 31 August 2018 at 3:26pm
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
SF's only officially endorsed pollster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2018 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by Cymroircarn9 Cymroircarn9 wrote:

Hi everyone, some of you may or may not have seen on Facebook/Twitter but I’ve recently started a Scarlets supporters for independence group.

There are a few similar groups that have cropped up recently (Welsh football and rugby fans) so I thought as the Scarlets it would be pretty strange for us to not get involved! I’m aware that not every scarlet supports independence however so it’s important to say that the group doesn’t presume to speak for Scarlets supporters as a whole.

I have a season ticket and will make most home games this year although I’ll struggle at times due to money and work commitments. It would be really good to have some of the hardcore fans who make every game home and away on board. Plus anyone else who wants to, even if you only make one or two a year, the more the merrier! Would any of you be interested?

I thought an ideal date to meet up would be on the day of Leinster home, before the game, in New Dock Stars rfc? Where we can discuss what kind of stuff we can do going forward e.g. banners, marches etc.

Let me know your thoughts, diolch

Genuine question with no intent to offend, is the 'association' of this group with the Scarlets purely to get better coverage of the topic and was that the same for the other groups mentioned?

I can't see any other real reason to link it with the club apart from publicity, if this is the case then I'm not really comfortable with the Scarlets being used as a vehicle to drive something with no connection with the region.

If the cause isn't getting enough support or coverage then that probably gives a message.

Edited by Gate12 - 31 August 2018 at 3:52pm
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2018 at 3:47pm
I think that this could cause problems. I don't think it wise to use the Scarlets name. Outsiders WILL link it to the Club. Should any member of the group make extreme comments that are reported in the press it could tarnish the Scarlets brand. 

Sponsors can be VERY sensitive to public opinion. This could lead to sponsors waking away and spending their money over the bridge. How would we feel with empty spaces on next year's jersey and no cash ?

I'm not against people's rights to protest etc, but this is an idea that needs to be dropped now.

Edited by ap sior - 31 August 2018 at 3:49pm
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cymroircarn9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2018 at 4:36pm
With regards to walking for conservative, labour, brexit etc:

They can if they want. But they won't because those topics get plenty of coverage in the media. A grassroots movement isn't necessary to get people to vote labour as they are already a well established-party, literally the opposite of grassroots.

I also think that this topic is very specific to the Scarlets, as the only predominantly Welsh-speaking region in Wales and maybe even the most nationalistic-minded of any sporting organisation in Wales, based in one of many Welsh towns that has had a hard time economically under Westminster governments. But that is just my personal opinion. 

With regards to using the Scarlets as a vehicle:

Not at all. It's a grassroots movement and the point of a grassroots movement is lots of little groups with no specific political allegiance band together to cause change. 

It's an effective way of uniting like-minded people who already have common ground - in this case, supporting a specific sports team, the Scarlets. I am a lifelong Scarlets supporter who also supports independence - I started the group to find like-minded people, and as I've said numerous times, this group doesn't presume to speak for the Scarlets as a club or as the entire fan base.

The national team's football supporters are doing something similar and it's gaining a lot of momentum; they're planning a march and have a banner ready to go for the Ireland game in September, and there are several other supporters groups doing similar things - there is an appetite for it, but people need to be given an opportunity to speak up. This is how these things start, they don't just happen overnight. 

The cause is getting plenty of support at grassroots level with YesCymru and other groups, but not in the media - which only tells me that the media don't want to cover it.

The Scottish independence movement started in the exact same way - they have Doctors for Scottish independence, Farmers for Scottish Independence, Celtic Fans for Scottish Independence etc etc. I don't for one minute think that all Scottish doctors are for Scottish Independence, and a Scottish doctors for unionism group wouldn't make me think less of all Scottish doctors. 

With regards to the sponsors issue:

If you read the full message in my second comment on the thread, it clearly states we don't tolerate or advocate extreme views, xenophobia or hatred of any group. So it's extremely unlikely to happen. I've also clearly stated that it's not officially associated with the Scarlets in any capacity - simply a faction of the supporters who believe in Welsh independence. 

Celtic FC, amongst many other clubs, didn't suffer one jot from having a supporters group that backed the independence movement, because truthfully sponsors don't give a monkeys. If they did care, they'd have something to say about Yma O Hyd being our anthem, don't you think? Literally [beep]ging off the establishment at every home game. 

To be honest, judging by the reaction on here you'd think I actually did suggest a 'Scarlets Supporters for the Right to Bear Arms' group. Wanting an independent Wales isn't that extreme, Scotland nearly voted for it and probably will vote for it in the next 10 years. 

There's a preconception that Welsh nationalism is evil and people balk at the word 'independence', and even Plaid Cymru were terrified of mentioning what they termed 'the 'i' word'. Yet now, their party leadership candidates are discussing independence as a key part of their campaigns.

Maybe I misjudged the amount of support it would get in the Scarlets' fans ranks, I don't know. Maybe talk of a march is a bit premature, but there's only one way to find out which is why I'm posting here, Facebook and Twitter, to gauge opinon. 
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cymroircarn9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2018 at 4:48pm
I should also say a few more things:

1. There's absolutely no obligation for anyone to join the group. You don't have to, it's just here for those who want to. 

2. I care as much about the Scarlets as the next supporter, and if the club took any damage as a result of this group, I'd be devastated. Which is why I will ensure it doesn't happen - this is why groups have codes of conduct and mission statements.

SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't blink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2018 at 5:14pm
Where would you fly the banners or do the March?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cymroircarn9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2018 at 5:43pm
No idea on the march. The numbers are nowhere near big enough to do one in the near future. 

The banner, probably in the north enclosure which is where my season ticket is 
greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2018 at 5:47pm

Originally posted by greypower1 greypower1 wrote:

Either have a serious debate or don't bother. Comments like this are so boring

I was being serious, I thought you were the one who was joking.
Keep the faith
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2018 at 5:53pm

No idea on the march. The numbers are nowhere near big enough to do one in the near future. 

Two words of warning. 

1. most organisations will not allow political statements of any description.
2. any banner will need a valid and up to date fire safety certificate.
3. you need permission from the Scarlets to display any banners in the stadium.

SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't blink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2018 at 6:03pm

Before you go any further I suggest you email or phone the club.

The club asked for the Tandy in banner to be taken down.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
  Share Topic