Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Scarlets team vs. Edinburgh (a)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 151617
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote diego6754 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2018 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by greypower1 greypower1 wrote:

I don't think we are building a stronger squad, at the moment we are running hard just to stand still. Very good players have left over the last two seasons and although we have recruited reasonably well we have not been competing with top French, English and Irish teams for the players we have signed. Our "squad" still looks a little underpowered and under paced compared with top Northern Hemisphere squads. It's not the fault of the Region its financial facts of life. We can but try our best to be as good as we can.

Oh my God, you are quite literally the most negative person i have ever seen comment on any media platform ever, and I used to be on Gwlad!!!. Its like if Victor Meldrew, or Squidward for our younger posters were Scarlets fans. I am yet to see anything positive from you in any post. What were you like when we were crap and the region was a shambles?

FYI we are competing with the top French, English and Irish teams both on the field and off the field. We are never going to be a Toulon or a Saracens but hook or by crook we've brought in some great talent over the past few seasons and i'm well excited about next years crop. Not sure about Blade and the rest but i know Blommentjies and Cassiem (excuse the spellings) both turned down offers from England and France to come to us.

As i sit here with my glass half full, I think we'll be stronger overall next season, certainly we'll have a better 8 (and Cassiem is a better 8 than Barclay, not saying he's a better player) and we'll have more pace behind with Blommentjies coming in and McNichol and Foxy to come back
Sponsored Links

Exkixu View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exkixu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2018 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Next season our top team will be :-

15. Leigh 14. Jonny 13. Foxy 12. Hadleigh 11. Steff 10. Rhys 9. Cawdor
1. Rob 2. Ken 3. Samson 4. Jake 5. Bulbring 6. Aaron 7. Cubby 8. Casseim

16. Wyn 17. Ryan 18. Werne 19. Blade 20. McLoud 21. Jonathan 22. Dan 23. Clayton/Fonotia.

Personally I think that team is as good as our best 23 this season. Where we are gaining is in the International windows & the first couple of games of the season which our Internationals miss. 

I'd probably swap Bullbring and Thomson around and definately Clayton instead of Fonotia on the bench but agree.

Big fan of Aled but in fairness Jon is a very good deputy to Cawdor.

We will be poorer on the floor, no doubt about it, but we will also have a better pack in terms of ball carrying that will give us more options in attack. Looking forward to see this Scarlets 2.0 next season.
1 Xavier Rush   2 Rhys Priestland   3 David Lyons   Cardiff Blues - Scarlets, 26/09/09      

More carries than any of our forwards. Priestland Fan Club Proud Member
Micro Duck View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Micro Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2018 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

Originally posted by Micro Duck Micro Duck wrote:

Fonotia for Scott
Blade for Beirne
Cassiem for Barclay
That guy from Jersey for Aled
Clayton Blommetjies for Rhys Jones (!)

I think these signings keep us where we are, rather than improve us.

If we'd retained Scott and Aled, and made all these signings, then we'd be talking.

Doesn’t mean they’ll make a massive impact. They could turn out to be very average. I’m sure they’ll be ok but I don’t get over excited about new signings until after a few games. Just because they play well for one team doesn’t mean that will carry over.

I agree. We're losing three internationals plus Beirne who has been at international standard.

Pivac's ability to find gems and shine them up should help.
*NEW* KIDS HALFPENNY T SHIRTS
ON SALE NOW

http://llanellitee.spreadshirt.co.uk
1carmscarletsfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1carmscarletsfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2018 at 3:09pm
Yep me too got my season tickets sorted and inbetween a trip this weekend to Dublin and hopefully Glasgow, Spain and back to Dublin
crj89 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crj89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2018 at 3:12pm

Fonotia for Scott
Blade for Beirne
Cassiem for Barclay

If we'd retained Scott and Aled, and made all these signings, then we'd be talking.

Doesn’t mean they’ll make a massive impact. They could turn out to be very average. I’m sure they’ll be ok but I don’t get over excited about new signings until after a few games. Just because they play well for one team doesn’t mean that will carry over.

Really doesn't matter what they look like when they first come to us, look at Barclay and Beirne when they came to us, weren't exactly key players, but look how much they've developed in the Scarlets set up! I don't think for one second that they'll turn out as bad signings!
turkishrebel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turkishrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2018 at 3:12pm
its the next development in our side. if we could have kept tadgh then I would really really fancy us with his jackling and all round game. but we haven't seen enough of blade and cassiem yet and what I have seen I am mightily impressed.
will miss scott obviously, when he is on song he is quality. but if we can get foxey fully fit and  hadleigh then there is few better partnerships out there. our back 3 will be stronger with clayton and the return of johnnie and tom prydie.
we will miss jon Barclays coolness and reading of the game.
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2018 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by turkishrebel turkishrebel wrote:

its the next development in our side. if we could have kept tadgh then I would really really fancy us with his jackling and all round game. but we haven't seen enough of blade and cassiem yet and what I have seen I am mightily impressed.
will miss scott obviously, when he is on song he is quality. but if we can get foxey fully fit and  hadleigh then there is few better partnerships out there. our back 3 will be stronger with clayton and the return of johnnie and tom prydie.
we will miss jon Barclays coolness and reading of the game.

That is my concern too. Who will be our leaders on the pitch next season ? Not necessarily in terms of barnstorming performances but by inspiration and leadership on the park when big decisions have to be made.
greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2018 at 4:30pm
I have supported the Scarlets for 60+ years and been a continuous season ticket holder for 60 years. As a supporter I have never described or regarded my team as CRAP or a SHAMBLES and I hope I never will. When you reach my age and years of following the Scarlets you tend not to get carried away with a change for the better. We did brilliantly last season and have continued to do well this season, but we are walking a tightrope with injuries at the moment and we have no quality replacements to step in. I am not negative just being a realist.
I can't make it to Dublin this weekend but I will still be supporting the Scarlets as enthusiastically as I have done all my life.
Keep the faith
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2018 at 4:39pm
good man greypower fwiw I dont think your previous post was particularly negative, ok there were just some hints of pessimism or doubt. But its healthy to keep questioning where we are, otherwise complacency will take us back down the slippery slope. I want to see scarlets build a culture of on going long term success not one season wonders

Edited by roy munster - 16 April 2018 at 4:51pm
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2018 at 4:47pm
I know we haven't announced O'Brien and Hardy but in some positions against Edinburgh we were very thin on the ground in terms of available players. Are we still looking for players, with some experience -like Paul Price - players with ability but who have not fitted in elsewhere (for whatever) reason and who are willing to risk being on the bench for most of the season so long as it gives them the chance to show their ability to a different set of coaches. If the Edinburgh debacle is anything to go by we could  use such players in the backs until our crop of youngsters slowly work their way into the side (without throwing the lot in together). 
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2018 at 4:48pm
I concur about barclay , what a superb player he has been for us. The man always makes the right decisions and hardly ever makes any mistakes. A quality athlete and very smart too
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Rob o'r Bont View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2018 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by welshbenny welshbenny wrote:

Originally posted by Rob o'r Bont Rob o'r Bont wrote:

Phew, life was much simpler at the end of season when we used to lose 6 from 6 in the pool stages of Europe and be mid tale in the Pro12. Smile

I'm inclined to think that if we by some miracle manage to get to an European final, we should focus entirely on that one game.  This would be a once in a lifetime opportunity.  

With the squad we're building I'm not so sure. 
Well yes your right of course, I'm sure some of us will see a Scarlets team get to more than one final in our lifetime.  But it is an exceptional achievement for any team to just get out of the pool stages let alone win two knockout games.  When you look at the teams that are still in the competition and the ones that have been knocked out along the way, it shows what an amazing achievement it is to get to a semi let alone a final.  

That's why for me, and for this one season only, if we get to an European final, nothing (not even a Pro14  QF or SF) should get in the way of the preparation for the game in Bilbao.  This debate will either end or go into meltdown depending on the result next Saturday. Smile

Edited by Rob o'r Bont - 16 April 2018 at 5:05pm
That's the Scarlets, its in their DNA.
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2018 at 5:04pm
I can see that we are at it again, pessimistic comments, and saying oh we're not as good as last year.

Faith can move mountains and win cups.

Many respected rugby people say we are a better side than last year, and when you analyse it we are, we have more cards up our sleeves we do have a plan B, and our defence is better.

We can do it, and for those who doubted last Saturday we had around 20/25 players missing.

FAITH
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2018 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by greypower1 greypower1 wrote:

I have supported the Scarlets for 60+ years and been a continuous season ticket holder for 60 years. As a supporter I have never described or regarded my team as CRAP or a SHAMBLES and I hope I never will. When you reach my age and years of following the Scarlets you tend not to get carried away with a change for the better. We did brilliantly last season and have continued to do well this season, but we are walking a tightrope with injuries at the moment and we have no quality replacements to step in. I am not negative just being a realist.
I can't make it to Dublin this weekend but I will still be supporting the Scarlets as enthusiastically as I have done all my life.

I doubt if any squad in World Rugby could cover for missing 26 players that's how many Scarlets were missing up in Edinburgh ..
s.pimpernel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
A.F.K.A.P.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s.pimpernel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2018 at 8:02pm

Fonotia for Scott
Blade for Beirne
Cassiem for Barclay

I agree. We're losing three internationals plus Beirne who has been at international standard.

Pivac's ability to find gems and shine them up should help.

And you must remember we`ve more or less played a whole season without Foxy and half a season without Ball. They`ll be like two new squad members re our numbers plus the addition of McNicholl
In Pivac we trust
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 151617
  Share Topic