Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Scarlets team vs. Leinster (Pro14 Final)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2018 at 4:44am
Originally posted by Maple Maple wrote:

Watch the game again and you will see his passing was not good and decision making doubtful at best.

Agree. Although I can only really judge on a 2 minute spell I watched. It was like the 55th minute. We had a penalty and he quick tapped it, then threw a horrendous offload, gave them the ball and 2 minutes later they scored a try. 

He does it too often. All our backline needs is quick ball.
Sponsored Links

Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2018 at 6:15am
Ball carriers versus ball handlers up front...quite similar to the SF.
Conan was excellent for Leinster in that respect, he was my MoTM.

Apart from that the only other discernible tactic was to target our back 3, trying to bring them all on to the high ball ( so always contested), it paid dividends overall, with only McNichol looking assured.

There's no gulf in class here, just that Leinster executed their game plan very well, and we yielded either possession or territory when facing those tactics.

Our backs were more dangerous, and restricted their backs to a few scraps of decent back play ( the 12's step to beat Parkesy to set up a try for Conan being the exception).

Our front 5 were just not effective with the ball. We just couldn't get any hard yards made.

To their credit the guys gave their all in defense, Rawlins and Parkes in particular, but that will only get us so far with a team so adept at multiple phase play.

Plenty to build on though.

Edited by Wil Chips - 27 May 2018 at 6:24am
SCL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SCL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2018 at 7:07am
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

Originally posted by SCL SCL wrote:

Actually, digging around (and correct me if I'm wrong) Wales has never once hosted a Pro12/14 final. Finals format started 2010 and till 2014 the highest placed finalist hosted:
2010 - RDS
2011 - Thomond Park
2012 - RDS
2013 - RDS
2014 - RDS

From 2015 the final venue has been a pre-determined venue has been used:
2015 - Kingspan
2016 - Murrayfield
2017- Aviva
2018 - Aviva
2019 - Celtic Park

Does the fact the Principality Stadium still won't have hosted one even after next season seem odd to anyone else? 5 finals, 3 in Ireland, 2 in Scotland, none in Wales...

(None of this is sour grapes mind - Leinster the best club side in the world right now. Just couldn't remember when the last Cardiff final was and now I know why!)

And wales have hosted the European cup more than anyone else. Stop this
Pathetic
Excuse
People please.

Like I said, it wasn't meant as an excuse. Where I went wrong was investigating/posting this 10 minutes after the final whistle last night. Different thread + different day = different point. Wink

Over the years I haven't been able to watch much as I live in Australia. But I know the final venue these days is decided before the season starts and last season and this it has been Lansdowne Road. 

So I was looking to see when the last Welsh one was. And it turns out the answer is N/A. 5 finals - 3 in Ireland and next year will be the 2nd in Scotland. Prior to those it was home advantage to the highest placed finalist - fair enough as we didn't earn one. 

We all know we have the best stadium on Earth, so it seems a bit strange. Particularly since, as you correctly point out, we have had plenty of ERC finals (though irrelevant as it's a different tournament). Sadly, as no Welsh team has made the ERC final since the first one, it has been a proper neutral venue.

Where we'd played Leinster over the last month wouldn't have made a difference - they'd push aside the Crusaders and the Hurricanes right now too - but with both neutral venues being Lansdowne Road, Dublin - walking distance for a million Leinstermen - it hasn't felt like meeting them half way. Even tougher assignments.

Maybe 2020 we'll get a go...

scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2018 at 7:44am
Originally posted by Huwbach Huwbach wrote:

Originally posted by knutsfordlion knutsfordlion wrote:

Leinster are excellent but the difference is this. Last year we continuosly rolled the dice with abandon as we were on the up and had nothing to lose. Now, with expectation placed upon us we play more conservative and wait to the second half to unleash our potential. It is my opinion that Barclay and Taigh will not be replaced for quality. This is not out of intent but both those players had points to prove and stepped up to the next level with us.

In two years we may reach this level again. I am worried about next year but want to be proved wrong. Scott I love you forever.

Our squad is better next term and we will thrive as long as we keep the coaching team in place.

I hope you are right on those two counts but the 8 is fairly soft centred.
Disagree. Reckon our pack is looking good for next season. Blade Thomson will give it a real nasty edge
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2018 at 8:03am
Also think Casseim is a lot tougher than some believe.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
surfing-mtber View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surfing-mtber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2018 at 8:13am
Was it my imagination, or were we playing without a scrum half for the last part of the game?
Joshua24:15
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2018 at 8:33am
Originally posted by Sosban89 Sosban89 wrote:

Originally posted by Maple Maple wrote:

Watch the game again and you will see his passing was not good and decision making doubtful at best.

Agree. Although I can only really judge on a 2 minute spell I watched. It was like the 55th minute. We had a penalty and he quick tapped it, then threw a horrendous offload, gave them the ball and 2 minutes later they scored a try. 

He does it too often. All our backline needs is quick ball.

That's what happened, though FWIW I didn't think that Leinster had retreated the 10m required, and we should have had another kick - probably what Cawdor expected. The ref didn't see it that way, unfortunately.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2018 at 8:34am
Originally posted by surfing-mtber surfing-mtber wrote:

Was it my imagination, or were we playing without a scrum half for the last part of the game?

Jon Evans was injured - we played the end of the game with only 14 men. Didn't stop us scoring, though!
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Tim Opolis View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim Opolis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2018 at 8:39am
So proud of my team.
Tymor nesa Duw, plis tymor nesa.
surfing-mtber View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surfing-mtber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2018 at 8:52am
Some stats, draw your own conclusions:

Metres run - L 430 S 435
Possession - L 56% S 44%
Territory - L 56% S 44%
Clean breaks L 8 - S 5.
Defenders beaten L 14 - S 25
Offloaded L 4 - S 13S
Rucks won L 99% S 100%
Turnovers conceded L 13 A 13

Top tackles - Rawlins 20, Cubby/Ken 17, Shingler 15*!!, Parkes/Cummins 14

Missed tackles - Patch 6
Metres run -Scott 106, Johnny Mac 74, Parkes 60
Joshua24:15
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2018 at 8:54am
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Originally posted by knutsfordlion knutsfordlion wrote:

Leinster are excellent but the difference is this. Last year we continuosly rolled the dice with abandon as we were on the up and had nothing to lose. Now, with expectation placed upon us we play more conservative and wait to the second half to unleash our potential. It is my opinion that Barclay and Taigh will not be replaced for quality. This is not out of intent but both those players had points to prove and stepped up to the next level with us.

In two years we may reach this level again. I am worried about next year but want to be proved wrong. Scott I love you forever.

Our squad is better next term and we will thrive as long as we keep the coaching team in place.

I hope you are right on those two counts but the 8 is fairly soft centred.
Disagree. Reckon our pack is looking good for next season. Blade Thomson will give it a real nasty edge

Scarletnut you obviously watch a fair amount of Super Rugby. What sort of season is Blade having? Do you see him as a 5/6 or 8? From the limited amount I have seen of Casseim he is far from soft centred!!!! 
Antietam1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Antietam1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2018 at 9:34am
My Impression was that Wales did not bid for the final, apparently concerts make more.
badabing badabook
shocker View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2018 at 9:36am
Blade has been injured the last few months but played 8 the last two games. Got great hands and speed and plays out wide alot of the time what I've seen. You could see a comparison to Michael Owen, but generally better all round
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2018 at 10:20am
Originally posted by shocker shocker wrote:

Blade has been injured the last few months but played 8 the last two games. Got great hands and speed and plays out wide alot of the time what I've seen. You could see a comparison to Michael Owen, but generally better all round

Thanks for that - where do you see him playing for us - alongside Jake or 1st choice 8 or bench cover. At the moment Cummins seems to be in pole to start alongside a returning Jake. 
sgsmorgan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
LAVERYS ON THE RIGHT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgsmorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2018 at 11:26am
Losing hurts.......

It hurts big time but...... we’ve come a long way and now have a degree of consistency that I have not seen in the Scarlet’s since the inception of professionalism.

Our Squad is going to be much stronger in terms of functioning ability next season and yes we’re losing Beirne, Barclay and Scott Williams (and may they all go on to bigger and better things...just not against us ;-) ) but as well as the new signings that we’ve also picked up we’ll have a fit, rested and hopefully fully functioning Jake and Foxy back which in effect is liking having two new International class signings.

In the case of Foxy, I would argue the No 1 13 in the world.

Yes we got beaten yesterday but we were missing three key players. Ball would have given us grunt and weight up front. One of the two areas that Leinster “did us” regularly yesterday was in the loose and the ferocity that they hit the rucks it was like watching a heavyweight boxer put his opponents onto the rope.

Yet despite that by and large we withstood the onslaught.

In the scrum, the much vaunted Irish Front Row didn’t get an inch out of ours and indeed I would venture to say if not mistaken that we edged it slightly in that I don’t think we shipped any penalties but they did.

What we didn’t really have, despite being able to hold them was the ability to shove it back down their throats and I think Jake’s weight and grunt might have given us something there.

Where I really think that perhaps we might have been undone was missing Foxy all season. Not only is he world class in going forward and in his tackling but also in the way he sets and marshals a defence round about him. He has that ability to be able to distance himself from the action in the tight/loose and spot where opponents are likely to try and attack and then counter accordingly. Also as was witnessed on the Lions tour...when opponents do break through he has the speed and ability to track and hunt them down.

Yes we lost yesterday, yes at the moment Leinster are the No 1 in form side in the Northern Hemisphere but...... (hypothetical I know) in a genuinely neutral venue (England or Scotland) with their full team out and with us having Ball, Barclay and Foxy back in the side..... I’d put money on us against them any day.

Edited by sgsmorgan - 27 May 2018 at 11:28am
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2018 at 12:00pm
Hotel booked for next year 😁
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112>
  Share Topic