Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  New Posts New Posts
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login


Scarlets u23/A

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 22 July 2009
Status: Offline
Points: 11462
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scarlets u23/A
    Posted: 22 August 2019 at 11:57am
Kicking off this weekend. Not seeing/hearing much about it.
 
found this online about Scarlets where it gives a breakdown of all teams u23 options including the South African teams.
Assuming the line ups will not be much different as far as we are concerned:
 

"Scarlets

Tomi Lewis, Ryan Conbeer, Corey Baldwin, Morgan Williams, Ioan Nicholas; Dan Jones, Dane Blacker; Kemsley Mathias, Taylor Davies, Alex Jeffries (O23); Jac Price, Morgan Jones; Josh Macleod, Dan Davis, Jac Morgan.

The two Jacs, Price and Morgan, had good campaigns with the Wales U20 side and will be hopeful of pushing their claims for playing time next season, whilst Davis is one of the countless talented opensides currently coming through in the country.

The x-factor to this XV undoubtedly lies in the back line, where Baldwin and Conbeer offer exciting attacking potential, and Blacker and Jones could form a complementary pairing in the half-backs."

 
other players in contention for this squad probably:
looseheads: Rhys Fawcett / Steffan Thomas / Dylan Evans (O23)
Hookers: Dafydd Hughes / Llew Phillips Taylor / Dom Booth
Tightheads: Javan Sebastien / Simon Gardiner (O23)
Lock: Danny Drake (O23)
Back Row: Iestyn Rees / Ellis Thomas / Sam Williams
Scrum Half: Kieran Hardy / David Jones
Fly Half: Angus OBrien (O23) / ?
Centre: Osian Knott / Joe Roberts
Wingers: Harri Doel / ?
Full Back: ?
 
with the above how do we see our squad shaping for this upcoming tournament that's on the verge of kicking off?
 
Back to Top
Sponsored Links


Back to Top
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 26 January 2015
Status: Offline
Points: 2831
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2019 at 12:02pm
Wow I didn't know Josh Macloed was so young, I'm not sure how old I thought he was but I certainly didn't think he was 22! That's a very handy back row too!

I think that, overall, is a strong squad which should hold it's own.
Back to Top
henry_winkler View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar
Don’t believe a word......

Joined: 12 January 2007
Status: Offline
Points: 2370
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote henry_winkler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2019 at 12:11pm
Whilst Conbeer and the backs do seem a really exciting prospect but for me Dan Davis is the real deal and expecting him to push though this year plus the rest of that pack doesn't look too shabby either 
Back to Top
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 22 July 2009
Status: Offline
Points: 11462
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2019 at 12:43pm
Agree about Dan Davis. Very special talent. Not 100% on him as a 7...I think him and Morgan would be a fine 6 and 7.or 7 and 8.
Back to Top
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 25 October 2004
Location: Wales
Status: Offline
Points: 14771
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2019 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

Kicking off this weekend. Not seeing/hearing much about it.
 
found this online about Scarlets where it gives a breakdown of all teams u23 options including the South African teams.
Assuming the line ups will not be much different as far as we are concerned:
 

"Scarlets

Tomi Lewis, Ryan Conbeer, Corey Baldwin, Morgan Williams, Ioan Nicholas; Dan Jones, Dane Blacker; Kemsley Mathias, Taylor Davies, Alex Jeffries (O23); Jac Price, Morgan Jones; Josh Macleod, Dan Davis, Jac Morgan.

The two Jacs, Price and Morgan, had good campaigns with the Wales U20 side and will be hopeful of pushing their claims for playing time next season, whilst Davis is one of the countless talented opensides currently coming through in the country.

The x-factor to this XV undoubtedly lies in the back line, where Baldwin and Conbeer offer exciting attacking potential, and Blacker and Jones could form a complementary pairing in the half-backs."

 
other players in contention for this squad probably:
looseheads: Rhys Fawcett / Steffan Thomas / Dylan Evans (O23)
Hookers: Dafydd Hughes / Llew Phillips Taylor / Dom Booth
Tightheads: Javan Sebastien / Simon Gardiner (O23)
Lock: Danny Drake (O23)
Back Row: Iestyn Rees / Ellis Thomas / Sam Williams
Scrum Half: Kieran Hardy / David Jones
Fly Half: Angus OBrien (O23) / ?
Centre: Osian Knott / Joe Roberts
Wingers: Harri Doel / ?
Full Back: ?
 
with the above how do we see our squad shaping for this upcoming tournament that's on the verge of kicking off?
 

Thanks for bringing this to our attention - any idea what the underline (bold in the original) signifies?
I share no-one's ideas. I have my own.
(Ivan Turgenev)
Back to Top
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 01 December 2014
Location: Rhydcymerau
Status: Offline
Points: 7613
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2019 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

Agree about Dan Davis. Very special talent. Not 100% on him as a 7...I think him and Morgan would be a fine 6 and 7.or 7 and 8.

Dan is an out and out 7 with pace to burn and an ability to play in the 13 channel. He will be pushing Cubby very hard for a starting position this season. Interesting to see Morgan Williams being used at 12: I incorrectly saw him as a back 3 player. 
Back to Top
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 22 July 2009
Status: Offline
Points: 11462
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2019 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

Kicking off this weekend. Not seeing/hearing much about it.
 
found this online about Scarlets where it gives a breakdown of all teams u23 options including the South African teams.
Assuming the line ups will not be much different as far as we are concerned:
 

"Scarlets

Tomi Lewis, Ryan Conbeer, Corey Baldwin, Morgan Williams, Ioan Nicholas; Dan Jones, Dane Blacker; Kemsley Mathias, Taylor Davies, Alex Jeffries (O23); Jac Price, Morgan Jones; Josh Macleod, Dan Davis, Jac Morgan.

The two Jacs, Price and Morgan, had good campaigns with the Wales U20 side and will be hopeful of pushing their claims for playing time next season, whilst Davis is one of the countless talented opensides currently coming through in the country.

The x-factor to this XV undoubtedly lies in the back line, where Baldwin and Conbeer offer exciting attacking potential, and Blacker and Jones could form a complementary pairing in the half-backs."

 
other players in contention for this squad probably:
looseheads: Rhys Fawcett / Steffan Thomas / Dylan Evans (O23)
Hookers: Dafydd Hughes / Llew Phillips Taylor / Dom Booth
Tightheads: Javan Sebastien / Simon Gardiner (O23)
Lock: Danny Drake (O23)
Back Row: Iestyn Rees / Ellis Thomas / Sam Williams
Scrum Half: Kieran Hardy / David Jones
Fly Half: Angus OBrien (O23) / ?
Centre: Osian Knott / Joe Roberts
Wingers: Harri Doel / ?
Full Back: ?
 
with the above how do we see our squad shaping for this upcoming tournament that's on the verge of kicking off?
 

Thanks for bringing this to our attention - any idea what the underline (bold in the original) signifies?
i believe wales u20s/7s internationals.
Back to Top
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 22 July 2009
Status: Offline
Points: 11462
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2019 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

Agree about Dan Davis. Very special talent. Not 100% on him as a 7...I think him and Morgan would be a fine 6 and 7.or 7 and 8.

Dan is an out and out 7 with pace to burn and an ability to play in the 13 channel. He will be pushing Cubby very hard for a starting position this season. Interesting to see Morgan Williams being used at 12: I incorrectly saw him as a back 3 player. 
i am not sure how accurate that is i think it is more of what could be selected, I, ilike you thought Morgan Williams was a back 3. Nicholas would make more sense in midfield.
With regards to Davis, he does not strike me a jackling type 7. I find him very different. Seems a perfect player that can play 6, 7 and 8 and do them all well. If jac morgan keeps developing the way he is, a back row of Macleod, Davis and Morgan could well be on the cards. and between morgan and davis, morgan is the only one IMO that can only play as a 7, where Davis could easily slot in 6 and 8. even played a fair few games at 8 for u20s i beileve?
Back to Top
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 29 January 2007
Location: Wales
Status: Offline
Points: 14218
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2019 at 1:48pm
 Sadly Joe Roberts as had a bad knee injury .
Back to Top
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 31 August 2014
Location: Caerdydd
Status: Offline
Points: 5804
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2019 at 2:38pm
I very much like the look of the original option quoted by PE SA in his first post, although I'm not sure that we don't need to sign another 10, perhaps a promising youngster who feels he's been kept back by older, more experienced 10s by his current employer. I feel Dan Jones is far too pedestrian to fit into that potentially glittering array of attacking backs let alone the Scarlets regional side..
Back to Top
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 22 July 2009
Status: Offline
Points: 11462
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2019 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

I very much like the look of the original option quoted by PE SA in his first post, although I'm not sure that we don't need to sign another 10, perhaps a promising youngster who feels he's been kept back by older, more experienced 10s by his current employer. I feel Dan Jones is far too pedestrian to fit into that potentially glittering array of attacking backs let alone the Scarlets regional side..
personally believe we definitley need a 10. one injury away from a crisis there. Even if Patch doesnt make WC squad, he will be on stand by.
He was making the Welsh squad even before Anscombes injury. Cant see, if fit, him not making the 6N squad so again a player we will barely see. That then only leaves Dan and Angus as our options all season long.

a signing like what we did with Olly Barkley would be ideal...or an upcoming kid not given a crack yet. any thoughts one is available?


Back to Top
ScarletBear View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 25 May 2012
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 2192
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2019 at 4:33pm
I am a little confused with this tournament?!?

I thought there were just  teams - the 4 Irish provinces and the 4 Welsh regions. And the Scots were doing their own thing by having 6 semi pro teams, playing who knows. Has this changed to include the South Africans and others?

And even though it is an U23 competition, am I right in saying you can have a few players over that e.g. Dinky is 23.

Does the format stay the same as last year i.e. something like 6 games and a final?
Scarlets before Wales
Back to Top
SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 03 April 2013
Location: The North Stand
Status: Offline
Points: 9496
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2019 at 4:45pm
Not 100% sure but think Llew Phillips-Taylor has been released.
Sam Williams has joined RGC.
Back to Top
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 22 July 2009
Status: Offline
Points: 11462
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2019 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by ScarletBear ScarletBear wrote:

I am a little confused with this tournament?!?

I thought there were just  teams - the 4 Irish provinces and the 4 Welsh regions. And the Scots were doing their own thing by having 6 semi pro teams, playing who knows. Has this changed to include the South Africans and others?

And even though it is an U23 competition, am I right in saying you can have a few players over that e.g. Dinky is 23.

Does the format stay the same as last year i.e. something like 6 games and a final?
yes its just the Welsh and Irish. I assume that website ahs either had wires crossed, or just looked at what each teams futures look like.
Back to Top
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 22 July 2009
Status: Offline
Points: 11462
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2019 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by SospanMawr SospanMawr wrote:

Not 100% sure but think Llew Phillips-Taylor has been released.
Sam Williams has joined RGC.
didn't we have some RGC lads play for Scarlets select last season or season before...likes of Jacob Botica and Bagshaw? could they still feature?
Back to Top
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 29 January 2007
Location: Wales
Status: Offline
Points: 14218
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2019 at 6:13pm
 
 Sam will be studying in  Bangor ,hence playing for RGC .
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 0.109 seconds.