Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Scarlets vs La Rochelle thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 151617
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Llywarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2018 at 10:30am
I wonder if this is the problem with moving away to a big club. They've not seen the player develop and have no appreciation for what he used to be like, where his weakness is etc. You've been payed a lot to do a job and I dont think much focus is put on developing your game once you move away. 

Liam has had a few good games for Sarries but one wonders if he's lost some of his edge in the air and in defence. Two of his main threats when he first broke into the side. 
Sponsored Links

aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2018 at 11:50am
Originally posted by Wasp Wasp wrote:

Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Originally posted by SospanMawr SospanMawr wrote:

Watching the game back we definitely did get some 50-50 decisions and how Beirne wasn’t yellowed is nothing short of a mystery.
However, 15,000 fans on the ref’s back will mean you’ll get more 50-50s than you don’t get (doesn’t really make sense that but still) and that’s the beauty of having home advantage and shows how important it is.
People are only talking about Beirne because we won. Their lock (Sazy) gave away 4 penalties, and Beirne only gave away 2.

I'm still not convinced Beirne did anything illegal, but there's no doubt that playing at home is an advantage.

In today's SF, Sanjay took a shoulder to the face from Kearney - a cast-iron YC, I thought, and maybe a red. The ref bottled it and didn't even award Sarries a penalty!

They did get a penalty didn’t they?

Did they? Maybe - next thing I saw as a line-out. Whatever, the Leinster player got off very lightly IMO - most players in most grounds would have had at least 10 min in the bin.
I share no-one's ideas. I have my own.
(Ivan Turgenev)
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
SF's only officially endorsed pollster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2018 at 1:38pm
What I loved about the performance was the fact we knew we didn't have to go out there and have a battle of who can play the most attractive rugby (despite all the press wanting us to) because we knew how indisciplined the opposition would be and we knew we had a ref that's quite picky around the breakdown.
We simply played the smarter rugby and ran out fairly comfortable winners against the team that topped the top 14 in the regular season last season, mature approach from us and we're in the semi's of Europe and second in the league without fully hitting our stride yet.

We'll play a different game against Leinster, We won't be daft enough to continually hit up against their pack and run direct at players looking to win collisions rather than running at shoulders, Leinster were fresh and powerful, god knows why Saracens thought they'd get any change out of that.

I wouldn't normally bite to the Western Mail bait but they've regurgitated their top 14 Welsh performances in Europe today, there's 4 second tier matches in there (realistically only the Blues winning it should be there) and 3 of our quarter final wins don't make the cut, maybe we won them all too easily to make them great games?
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2018 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Originally posted by SospanMawr SospanMawr wrote:

Watching the game back we definitely did get some 50-50 decisions and how Beirne wasn’t yellowed is nothing short of a mystery.
However, 15,000 fans on the ref’s back will mean you’ll get more 50-50s than you don’t get (doesn’t really make sense that but still) and that’s the beauty of having home advantage and shows how important it is.
People are only talking about Beirne because we won. Their lock (Sazy) gave away 4 penalties, and Beirne only gave away 2.

I'm still not convinced Beirne did anything illegal, but there's no doubt that playing at home is an advantage.

In today's SF, Sanjay took a shoulder to the face from Kearney - a cast-iron YC, I thought, and maybe a red. The ref bottled it and didn't even award Sarries a penalty!

I don't pretend to understand the rules in a maul but my opinion was if the ref had given a penalty then in that situation it should have been a yellow as well and usually is. I was wondering if the language barrier was an issue for La Rochelle as you would have thought their captain would have been mentioning "second time now ref" in his ear at that point. Seems as though Ken convinced him a penalty was enough and perhaps put that doubt in his mind that he had made the wrong decision. Also, I think La Rochelle were pretty cynical in conceding all those first half breakdown penalties on the 22 to restrict us to 3 point at each visit to their dangerzone - another ref would have had enough of this.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 151617
  Share Topic