Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Scott Johnson reveals Mike Phillips wants to quit

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scott Johnson reveals Mike Phillips wants to quit
    Posted: 13 April 2011 at 12:40pm

SCOTT JOHNSON has revealed Mike Phillips will definitely quit the Ospreys at the end of the season after repeated requests to leave.

Johnson claimed Phillips has wanted a move from the Liberty Stadium for the last 18 months, and he insisted he had no intention of keeping players who did not want to be at the region.

Phillips has been strongly linked with a move to French giant Toulouse this week after being dropped in favour of young scrum-half Rhys Webb.

Johnson said: "After continued request from Mike over the last 18 months, we have agreed to let Mike go as soon as he can find another club.

"We have an organistaion to run and anybody who doesn't want to be here, we'll move on.

"Sadly, that is the way the sport is going. I'd rather have people here who want to be here."

The Ospreys coach did, however, confirm Phillips will be involved in the Ospreys' remaining games of the season as the look to claim a consecutive Magners League title.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbynation/rugby-news/2011/04/13/scott-johnson-reveals-mike-phillips-wants-to-quit-ospreys-91466-28512976/#ixzz1JP103hb2
Sponsored Links

dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2011 at 12:41pm
One issue with joining Toulouse (and a few other french sides) is that Mike Phillips does not kick at goal.
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2011 at 12:48pm
Phillips signed an extension around New Year 2010. The timelines don't really add up if he has wanted out for 18 months.
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2011 at 1:06pm
Looks like they're trying to put on a brave face after losing so many players and making excuses wherever possible, losing Byrne, Phillips, Hook, Collins, Tiatia, Henson and possibly Holah off the books aint a great summer. 4 Lions and 3 All Blacks gone in the blink of an eye.

Bearman will make up for it though.
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2011 at 1:07pm
Bearman is a gamble. It could well pay off if he keeps fit. But he's no TiaTia.
lofty evans View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2011 at 1:32pm

Phillips should never had joined them, ok money was lovely jubbly, but it's a different culture over there mun......... no ambition, no History, inflated ego's, perfect recipe for a West Walian to want out...

In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
tannerbankboy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tannerbankboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2011 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by dr_martinov dr_martinov wrote:

One issue with joining Toulouse (and a few other french sides) is that Mike Phillips does not kick at goal.
He can't kick from hand either.  Or pass for that matter.  Hasn't held him back so far.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2011 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by KID A KID A wrote:

Phillips signed an extension around New Year 2010. The timelines don't really add up if he has wanted out for 18 months.

I thought that was a bit odd too. Whatever...it sounds like all parties have had a t*tful of each other from Scott's statement.

Never good for a player when your current coach says you always wanted out...damages the players standing, maybe not this time, but who would have him back in wales in 2/3 years time?

Sorry, yes, the Dragons of course. Duw I'm twp aye.
Penguin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penguin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2011 at 5:07pm
Yeah he signed his current contract with the O's in March 2010. Bit of an odd story. Confused
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2011 at 5:09pm
Originally posted by tannerbankboy tannerbankboy wrote:

Originally posted by dr_martinov dr_martinov wrote:

He can't kick from hand either.  Or pass for that matter.  Hasn't held him back so far.

They do tend to run the game from SH, do french sides. Not sure Toulouse would suit Mike at all.

But far more obvious than game control is who would kick at goal for them if he was playing? Skrela? No, I don't see it happening. 
Turkish Fez View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turkish Fez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2011 at 5:12pm
Skrela is their main kicker!!
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2011 at 5:15pm
As I said right at the onset on this one...it could all end up in a lot of bother for club and player if they are not careful. Mike could end up still being with the O's next season as he couldn't get the 'right' offer from France...might see him at Tonmawr next season Wink
Seriously though...he is entering the marke late on, and a lot of the Frech guys have already cut their cloth so to speak.
solva View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote solva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2011 at 5:24pm
Skrela signed by Clermont.
Earlier rumour was Phillips to Stade Francais.
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2011 at 6:39pm
8th March 2010 - just over a year ago - sounds really unhappy from these quotes from the Ospreys website:

Speaking after signing his new contract, Mike Phillips said:

"I've really enjoyed my time as an Osprey over the last three seasons and I'm pleased that I've been able to agree a new contract. With my future sorted, it means that I can just concentrate now on getting myself up to speed for some of the big games that we've got coming up. We have ambitions to be among the best sides in Europe, we aren't there yet but we are heading in the right direction. With the set-up here, everything is in place to go all the way and I'm excited about the future for the Ospreys.

"We've got a good squad with real quality throughout and some talented youngsters coming through. It's a close knit group, I've got a lot of good friends here, and the way that we are improving year-on-year there's a lot to look forward to, the future is very bright for us. With the ambitions we have as a group and the challenges we face, I'm really enjoying myself and I don't see that there's a need for me, or anybody, to want to go anywhere else.

"The Ospreys have helped me to develop as a player no end over the last three years, the improvement in my game has allowed me to represent Wales and the Lions while I've been here. I want to further my international career with Wales over the next few years and get on the next Lions tour, and if I'm going to achieve those longer term aims, then the Ospreys and the coaches here will clearly be a big factor in that, like they have been with everything I've achieved since coming here."

Ospreys Head Coach, Sean Holley, commented:

"Mike is the latest in a line of proven internationals who have been happy to re-sign for the Ospreys, which shows the faith that the players have in what we are trying to achieve. Mike is a player who has shown at the very highest level what he can do. He has had some injury problems, but I know that he is determined to show that they are behind him, and to reach the heights of last summer with the Lions once again, which is excellent news for the Ospreys and Wales. He's a different type of scrum-half to any others that we have here, his physicality and enthusiasm causes endless problems for the opposition, and we are naturally delighted that another quality player sees his long term future here with us."

Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2011 at 6:44pm
Ooof, now then, someone is telling porky pies over at the Liberty mun...
Ow! View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ow! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2011 at 6:52pm
I bet the real problem at the Liberty is Johnson. He's a divisive tool of a man.
I don't think it's pure coincidence that Byrne, Hook, Henson and now Phillips have jumped ship under his command.
And here's a prediction: We'll be better than them next season. It's been a long time coming and I can't wait to rub it in the faces of the arrogant Jacks I work with who've only shown interest in rugby since the Ospreys compiled a squad of Welsh rugby's glory boys and ex-All Blacks.
Gentlemen, gentlemen, I'll never understand. A world of knowledge at your fingertips, and you play poker all night.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic