Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Scott to return

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scott to return
    Posted: 30 January 2005 at 8:27pm

Just seen this on the icwales site.

SCOTT QUINNELL has pencilled in his comeback for the Scarlets' crunch match with the Blues.

The Wales and Lions legend has been out of action for two months following a hand and knee operation.

The Scarlets' legend, who will retire at the end of this season, has been badly missed by the reigning Celtic League champions.

The Stradey Park outfit will welcome him back with open arms as they battle it out with the Blues for the third and final Heineken Cup place next season.

But the big No 8 will be ready to face the Blues at Stradey Park on March 20.

"I will be ready to play a week after the Connacht game," said Quinnell.

"But we don't have a game after that until we play the Blues in the Celtic League.

"I have set my sights on playing then and I'm pretty confident I will be back for that game.

"I have been back training in the last couple of weeks and went for my first run this week.

"Apart from the lungs burning everything is fine and I am just raring to go."

Quinnell has had a pin put in his hand and a " clean-up" operation on his knee.

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
Sponsored Links

Pedro Diniz View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pedro Diniz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2005 at 9:12pm

That's good news - nice for the legend to have a couple of games for the Scarlets before hanging up his boots, and becoming a supporter, like the rest of us.

"I can't see the Germans getting back into this...they've only got Kuntz up front..."
(Alan Hansen, during Euro 96).
Alan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2005 at 9:22am
As good as Scott is, he's not a shoe-in at number 8. Powell did enough on Saturday to get some regular starts. Maybe Scott could be used as an impact player later in the game?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2005 at 9:38am
Powell is playing very well alan, however to say Scott is not a shoe in at no 8 I am sorry do you think a man of his experience has just lost a talent because hes had a couple of months off injured. What a very silly thing to say, Andy is the future no doubt but don't run a man down of his experience people will think you don't know anything about rugby
connor boy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connor boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2005 at 12:00pm
the last time i seen him he could hardly walk sure with a young family he should be putting them first,not the rugby 
Pigeon Toed Orange Peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel..........
Born-and-Bred View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Born-and-Bred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2005 at 12:20pm
I too think that Andy Powell has earned his starting place and, along with Gavin Thomas, has been our most consistent player this season, giving nothing less than 100%.  However, having Scott back for his swansong few games will aid us in our quest for a top three finish.
scarlet_rob View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarlet_rob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2005 at 1:41pm
Completely agree with the sentiments about Andy Powell. Sorry Scott but you can't assume that you'll get back in the team. This is a crucial game and the form man has to play.
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2005 at 1:45pm
Also agree, Scott as an impact player sounds the best bet. Powell is awesome and not as 1 dimensional as Scott. His place is far from guaranteed. Hope he has a good last few games though.
Alan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2005 at 2:23pm

Originally posted by Redwave Redwave wrote:

Powell is playing very well alan, however to say Scott is not a shoe in at no 8 I am sorry do you think a man of his experience has just lost a talent because hes had a couple of months off injured. What a very silly thing to say, Andy is the future no doubt but don't run a man down of his experience people will think you don't know anything about rugby

You are too sentimental. Yes I admire Scott, but he has to earn the jersey. If Powell is playing well he should start - period!!!!!

stevey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2005 at 3:20pm

I hope Scott manages to earn his place for at least some of the Blues game so that the supporters are able to give him the proper send-off he deserves, it would be a great shame if he has already played his last game for us and we are unable to give him a vocal ovation as he leaves the Stradey pitch for the last time.

Hopefully we will be able to kill off the Blues early on (if we play like Saturday) and he can come on for 15-20 mins.

Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connor boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2005 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by Alan Alan wrote:

Originally posted by Redwave Redwave wrote:

You are too sentimental. Yes I admire Scott, but he has to earn the jersey. If Powell is playing well he should start - period!!!!!

he should have gone out on a high ages ago,what if he plays rubbish he's been out a while i'd rather rember him has he was,hey he may be alright i hope so
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2005 at 4:52pm
I hope Scott is well enough to play at least a part of the Blues game - whether he starts or not will depend on fitness and the game plan.

Don't forget we have one later home game - against Glasgow in April - and we could be more or less sure of a HC place by then if we beat the Blues. (or is this one in Wrexham - I hope not!)

The big man certainly DESERVES a really BIG send-off!
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connor boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2005 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

I hope Scott is well enough to play at least a part of the Blues game - whether he starts or not will depend on fitness and the game plan.

Don't forget we have one later home game - against Glasgow in April - and we could be more or less sure of a HC place by then if we beat the Blues. (or is this one in Wrexham - I hope not!)

The big man certainly DESERVES a really BIG send-off!
well there ways around things like that, obviously there'll be no way he'll bow out quietly and he should'nt either. 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2005 at 6:36pm

Alan sentiment has nothing to do with it earning the jersey indeed.  My god thats all he ever has done all his rugby life,I don't think Scott has assumed he is playing, he would have told the press he will be available are you too thick to see that. Respect, Alan is something that men who play rugby have between each other in such a gentlemens sport

I would like to see Scott come on as an impact player the last 20 minutes, I think Andy should be played first for the rest of the season, since Scott won't be there next year and the scarlets have to prepare for the change I also think they should be looking around for another eight, because we don't have Dave hodge anymore too and Daf is with the welsh squad and I would think Andy would get a call up soon too in the near future, we need someone left to play when they are all on international duty for next season.

I don't agree with any silly talk about how Scott should have retired ages ago after all he was the forward top try scorer for the henikien cup last year so I say that wasn't a wasted season. Logical thinking makes sense to me

Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connor boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2005 at 6:50pm
so with the type of injurys he's had and still got you'd rather see him walk off someway through the game is it, i know i would'nt i'd have loved to see him go out on a high on his terms and fit,your the one who's talking silly.yes he may have scored LAST SEASON but you should know how fickle some fans are its the way he went out this season they would have a go at him for.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2005 at 7:30pm

Connor boy your right there are a fickle lot out there, but I like to think they are a minority!!!! The old saying is your only as good as your last game, I have always thought thats utter tribe, you can't judge a man by one game and rubbish the rest of his career.

I still think he played well last season and injury hasn't helped this season, he didn't know he was going to have two screws put in his wrist,  maybe you would like to see him payed off like they did with Hodges and leave him go now to keep those who have no faith him happy. At the end of the day if he doen't pass his fittness test he doesn't play  just like everyone else thats the way its always been, I don't doubt when Scott selects,  he uses the same principles on coaching the semi pro  team.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic