Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > ORDERED
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Scottish Independence Vote

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
Author
Veteran
Veteran
Who are we?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Coleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2014 at 1:13pm
One of the reasons that Wales will never cut it as an independent country is because too many Welsh people say Wales will never cut it as an independent country.

Wacko
Sponsored Links

roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2014 at 3:20pm
pretty sure theres more to it than that garfield....at present we're a lot poorer than jockland with a much smaller private sector , we are tied in with the english more than the scots , legally, financially, in terms of infrasructure too....lets see our government prove their worth first ....the one advantage of having welsh ministers based in westminster is they are scrutinised far better....Wales it seems to me has become overly burocratic to say the very least , which slowly growth to a trickle ,  our coal mines are flooded and weve no north sea oil to bail us out either...thats not to say independence is impossible in years to come, it would be nice to think we could stand on our own 2 feet, but we'd need to see some radical improvements first.
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Abbey View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abbey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2014 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by Gary Coleman Gary Coleman wrote:

One of the reasons that Wales will never cut it as an independent country is because too many Welsh people say Wales will never cut it as an independent country.

Wacko

I'd agree with that if it wasn't for the fact that Wales will never cut it as an independent country.

Gary Coleman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Who are we?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Coleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2014 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by Abbey Abbey wrote:

Originally posted by Gary Coleman Gary Coleman wrote:

Wacko

I'd agree with that if it wasn't for the fact that Wales will never cut it as an independent country.

LOLClap
LLANDRE View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LLANDRE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2014 at 4:40pm
I would suggest that is the same reason as to why we dont beat the South Africans and New Zealanders. Self belief and confidence two traits of character that us as Welsh people lack.
West is Best (Fin gwybod)
Veteran
Veteran
Who are we?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Coleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2014 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

pretty sure theres more to it than that garfield.....

Did you see where I put ONE of the reasons? Smile

But, yes. I don't think much of the quality of AMs we currently have sitting in the senedd at the moment. I'd hate to see them running the country.
Abbey View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abbey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2014 at 6:59am
It's now been pointed out that Scotland would have no financial safety net should they gain independence. As it stands, they plan to keep sterling and fall under UK financial rules. Should a bank collapse, who would underwrite it? In other words, who would be the lender of last resort? With the UK it's the Bank of England, but it would be unacceptable for it to guarantee a foreign country.
Scotland would downgrade from an equal economic partner to a financial satellite with no monetary independence and budget constraints.

This would scare me witless if I were a Scot after seeing how close RBS came to collapse.

Having read this financial fact, and others (it left Salmond struggling to answer on last night's Newsnight), it should show, without doubt, that Wales could never gain independence - we don't even have any semi-national banking system. At least the Scots have the Bank if Scotland or Royal Bank of Scotland, which would have to have massive financial reserves.

Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2014 at 7:13am
Scotland will vote for independence based on all the Scots I know, why they would isn't clear, if they do, then after a few years of basking in it they they will revert to the likes Monaco, Liechtenstein, The Faroe islands and Andorra etc...

Wales as an independent state/country would be quite funny, for a while.

I don't actually think we are under-cooked on self belief etc...I just think we aren't that hot on fiscal propriety and hopelessly distanced from all the broad based business, political and economic understandings that any organisation needs to govern.

omri jones View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote omri jones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2014 at 9:55pm
How many independent countries would vote to be ruled once more by their erstwhile conqerers / occupiers (that invaded and occupied for one reason alone to exploit their resources for the occupier's benefit)? 
salmidach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote salmidach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2014 at 8:20am
Originally posted by omri jones omri jones wrote:

How many independent countries would vote to be ruled once more by their erstwhile conqerers / occupiers (that invaded and occupied for one reason alone to exploit their resources for the occupier's benefit)? 

no offence but in the 1300s, I don't think the English Monarchy knew much about resources and I'm pretty sure there isn't much of these resources in Scotland anyway.

they were conquered to bring them under the yoke.
They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance - Terry Pratchett
Veteran
Veteran
Who are we?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Coleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2014 at 9:49am

That must be why they didn't hold a referendum in the 1300's then.
Glad we cleared that one up. Can we talk about the Algerian plane crash now?
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2014 at 10:16am
Originally posted by salmidach salmidach wrote:

no offence but in the 1300s, I don't think the English Monarchy knew much about resources and I'm pretty sure there isn't much of these resources in Scotland anyway.

I'm pretty sure that people and land are resources.
salmidach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote salmidach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2014 at 10:24am
Originally posted by Gate12 Gate12 wrote:

I'm pretty sure that people and land are resources.

we are talking scots and scotland here...

who'd want the land, way too many hills and it's bloody freezing up there most of the time.. and yes I suppose you could have used the ginger monsters to build things i suppose.....
They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance - Terry Pratchett
Veteran
Veteran
Who are we?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Coleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2014 at 10:34am

who'd want the land, way too many hills and it's bloody freezing up there most of the time.. and yes I suppose you could have used the ginger monsters to build things i suppose.....

And invent engines, telephones, TVs, make whisky and deep fried pies.
Also where would the "people" of Swansea be without Tennant's Super??
omri jones View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omri jones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2014 at 11:23am
No offence taken Sal. But what does under the yoke mean? Why bother to build all these castles at great expense if there was nothing in it for them? I mean suppression doesn't come cheap.
salmidach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote salmidach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2014 at 11:36am
the best way to suppress someone is to make sure that every day the get reminded that they have been conquered. The Romans did it brilliantly, but subtly. Unfortunately the English went full pelt, built huge castles and tried to break down the people....

The Romans subtly changed the people around them to think of them not as conquerors but bringers of peace, by incorporating the local beliefs into their own, thus that's why Christmas day falls on the 25th of December.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
  Share Topic