Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shingle injury

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2018 at 5:24pm
Not being controversial but does anyone think that this might be the end of Shinglers International career.

He will not be back until December, and with Warburton/Tipurick/Jenkins/Navidi/ all favoured by Gatland without any bolters, I really feel for him.

Cubby and the Dragons back row, might also have great summer and start next season.

Being in the wrong place at the wrong time, sums this injury up for Aaron.

In my opinion Shingler was my Welsh player of the year, and is by a mile a huge influence & asset to any side he plays for.

Really gutted for him.
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links

Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2018 at 6:30pm
Aaron could come back an even stronger player and, who knows, by then Warburton Navidi and co.could well be out with further injuries, such is the attrition rate for forwards willing to risk putting their bodies on the line. 
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2018 at 8:06pm
Dai, no injury of this nature is followed by a guaranteed recovery.

One thing I think you can take as read is that Aaron will put all the good habits he’s shown in taking his career seriously, and improving as a player while keeping his body in good shape, into his convalescence, rehab and recovery.

That is all within his control.

Everything else will take care of itself.
Any offence taken on board is only a literate/cy consequence. Every attempt at humour is just that. No personal insult intended. Standards lowered for trolls.
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2018 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

Dai, no injury of this nature is followed by a guaranteed recovery.

One thing I think you can take as read is that Aaron will put all the good habits he’s shown in taking his career seriously, and improving as a player while keeping his body in good shape, into his convalescence, rehab and recovery.

That is all within his control.

Everything else will take care of itself.
He is a very professional guy isn’t he and will do all he can to get back playing rugby for the Scarlets which has to be his priority. Not even thinking of Wales frankly.
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2018 at 8:08am
The back row talent available to Gatland is the envy of many other countries. Lets not forget that Aaron was only selected this season due to injuries to others. When all are fit he has Warburton, Moriarty & possibly now Navidi ahead of him. That, by the way, is not my interpretation of the pecking order but Gatlands. 
Havard Fan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Havard Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2018 at 10:52am
Shingler is a big loss for the first half of next season. The natural replacement for me is Rawlings. He does play differently to Aaron, however is fast and direct. I think we are covered at lock to allow Rawlings an extended run at 6. I'm also hoping Tom Phillips has recovered after a full season out and lives up to his potential as a destructive #6.

Any news on Asquiths recovery as he was probably one of our better signings last year? Hopefully recover fully as that sort of hamstring injury can be very difficult to recover from.
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2018 at 10:56am
Originally posted by Havard Fan Havard Fan wrote:

Shingler is a big loss for the first half of next season. The natural replacement for me is Rawlings. He does play differently to Aaron, however is fast and direct. I think we are covered at lock to allow Rawlings an extended run at 6. I'm also hoping Tom Phillips has recovered after a full season out and lives up to his potential as a destructive #6.

Any news on Asquiths recovery as he was probably one of our better signings last year? Hopefully recover fully as that sort of hamstring injury can be very difficult to recover from.
Blade Thomson surely has to play six
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2018 at 11:16am
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Opening day pack next year will be Rob, Ken, Samson, Ball, Cummins/Bulbring, Blade, Cubby, Cassiem. Good luck to whoever faces that if we click.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Havard Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2018 at 11:22am

To be honest I think Blade is more our style of 8 than Cassiem. It would also keep Blade looser than if he were to play 6, which would possibly be better for his injury management. 6 is more attentional and with his history of shoulder injuries and concussion issues this year, I would prefer him as our first choice 8.

Saying that Cassiem is also quick for a big fella and it's horses for courses really. If Cassiem can get his skill levels to fit our game, we will have some strength in the back row even without Shingler.
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2018 at 11:24am

To be honest I think Blade is more our style of 8 than Cassiem. It would also keep Blade looser than if he were to play 6, which would possibly be better for his injury management. 6 is more attentional and with his history of shoulder injuries and concussion issues this year, I would prefer him as our first choice 8.

Saying that Cassiem is also quick for a big fella and it's horses for courses really. If Cassiem can get his skill levels to fit our game, we will have some strength in the back row even without Shingler.
You might be right. I'm just thinking of a way to get all our best players on the park with Aaron out. I can see Rawlings going well there though
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2018 at 11:33am
Rawlins' open field play such as carrying and offloading improved markedly last year which is a testament to spending time in our system and training environment I think.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Havard Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2018 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by SospanMawr SospanMawr wrote:

Rawlins' open field play such as carrying and offloading improved markedly last year which is a testament to spending time in our system and training environment I think.

He's the ideal choice in my opinion for 6 to replace Shingler. He's tall for lineout option, he's also very good at the close quarter defence stuff, probably a bit better than Shingler there. He also has the tendency of putting in some huge hits in open defence play which lifts the team. He's not as athletic as Aaron though, however as a former centre, I think his skill set will surprise some folks.

If he has a good start to the season and makes the jersey his, he could even force his way in to the lock / 6 option that the Welsh management want as cover for the world cup. I know that's quite a leap, but I think he offers more at 6 than seb Davies and is quite an effective lock.
scarletabroad View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletabroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2018 at 9:54pm
Rawlins for me is better thanSeb Davies and the recent tour has done nothing to change my mind Rawlins is dynamic and inspirational in his tackling no1 for me with blade battling Cassiem for 8 certainly until they fit our game plan and prove Rawlins shouldn’t be there
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2018 at 1:15pm
I've often thought that, physically, Rawlins is the Scarlets player who most resembles Shingler - the differences are in how they play - Shingler is a real ball player and top line-out operator - Rawlins is a scary hit-man in defence, who shook up Sexton not so long ago. He can do a real job for us, especially as part of an aggressive defensive effort. 

If Rawlins has added ball handling skills to his other assets, he could be a major player in the season to come - and it's always great to see players develop and step up.
I share no-one's ideas. I have my own.
(Ivan Turgenev)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic