Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > CHAT BOARD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sir Keir Starmer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 30>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2020 at 11:18am
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Looking at it from a Westminster perspective it has been a disaster. A totally fair comment in my mind. Devolved Government which the Labour party brought it did not equate, at that time, to Independence. They have already had a referendum which, at the time, was labelled a once in a generation vote yet that is all we hear from the Scottish government. 
sorry gareth have to disagree,when wales went into circuit break they asked for furlough to carry on for the duration of it and westminster refused,when lockdown was announced in england he decided to carry it on,they look down on wales and scotland and have done for centuries.

I don't think we are in disagreement Nigel. I certainly will not be giving Boris any praise for the way he has handled this pandemic but that is not the point. As i said looking at it from Westminster Scottish devolution has been a disaster with continuing calls for an Independence vote despite a negative result a few years ago. 

What Boris and his Westminster colleagues actually think of the devolved administrations is one thing; the thought of Wales, Scotland & Northern Ireland going it alone is another totally. My view is we will always be better off fighting for a better deal inside the Union rather than trying to go it alone. I have visions of a Russian nucleur sub pulling into Pembroke Dock or sailing up the Clyde. I wonder what the devolved powers in Edinburgh and Cardiff would think of that. 
Sponsored Links

dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2020 at 1:10pm

Looking at it from a Westminster perspective it has been a disaster. A totally fair comment in my mind. Devolved Government which the Labour party brought it did not equate, at that time, to Independence. They have already had a referendum which, at the time, was labelled a once in a generation vote yet that is all we hear from the Scottish government. 
sorry gareth have to disagree,when wales went into circuit break they asked for furlough to carry on for the duration of it and westminster refused,when lockdown was announced in england he decided to carry it on,they look down on wales and scotland and have done for centuries.

I don't think we are in disagreement Nigel. I certainly will not be giving Boris any praise for the way he has handled this pandemic but that is not the point. As i said looking at it from Westminster Scottish devolution has been a disaster with continuing calls for an Independence vote despite a negative result a few years ago. 

What Boris and his Westminster colleagues actually think of the devolved administrations is one thing; the thought of Wales, Scotland & Northern Ireland going it alone is another totally. My view is we will always be better off fighting for a better deal inside the Union rather than trying to go it alone. I have visions of a Russian nucleur sub pulling into Pembroke Dock or sailing up the Clyde. I wonder what the devolved powers in Edinburgh and Cardiff would think of that. 

Indeed. If they're serious, Scotland should hire Cummings to "take back control" or whatever rubbish three word slogan he comes up with. Make Scotland Scotlier. 
Jones2004 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2020 at 2:30pm

Can I ask why do you believe that we are better off in the union? And secondly, do you really believe that any type of change / reform will happen in the union any time soon? There are extracts of MPs in the time of Lloyd George talking about House of Lords reform and that still hasn’t happened so what makes you think that there’s a chance of us getting a better deal? 

Edited by Jones2004 - 17 November 2020 at 2:31pm
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2020 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by Jones2004 Jones2004 wrote:

Can I ask why do you believe that we are better off in the union? And secondly, do you really believe that any type of change / reform will happen in the union any time soon? There are extracts of MPs in the time of Lloyd George talking about House of Lords reform and that still hasn’t happened so what makes you think that there’s a chance of us getting a better deal? 

If nothing else security. As for change well thats a different story. My comment was that we are better off in the Union not that change was easy. Personally I don't think Independence for Wales is remotely possible. We live in a very dangerous World and in times of collective joining of countries for greater security - NATO for instance the idea of small nations like Wales & Scotland seeking independence is, for me, nonsensical. I totally understand those who desire Independence but do not agree with them. 
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2020 at 10:50am
This is simply disgraceful. Ok so the wachdog has said this but what happens next? Who else is monitoring and regulating these £18 billion+ private PPE / covid contracts? Theyve failed to disclose £4 billion contracts already 
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/nov/09/uk-government-fails-to-publish-details-of-4bn-covid-contracts-with-private-firms. They probably think its worth the risk to make make enough ill gotten gains to be mega rich for life.

The government was not transparent about suppliers and services when it scrambled to award £18bn worth of Covid-19 contracts, the public spending watchdog has said.

Of these, £10.5bn-worth were awarded directly without a competitive tender process, the report said.Angry

Edited by roy munster - 18 November 2020 at 11:39am
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2020 at 11:15am
You are correct Roy its a disgrace. This is the price you pay for not being prepared for risks which could have been foreseen. There is absolutely no doubt that well connected ex schoolboy chums will have benefitted enormously from the crisis. They should be rooted out and exposed just like the collaborators were in the War. 

If any MP is found to have been involved in any way they should be banned from holding public office for life. My real concern, of course, is that the investigating body is also probably full of the very same ex public school chummies who have their snouts in the trough. 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2020 at 11:19am
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

This is simply disgraceful. Ok so the wachdog has said this but what happens next? Who else is monitoring and regulating these £18 billion+ private PPE / covid contracts? Theyve failed to disclose £4 billion contracts already 
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/nov/09/uk-government-fails-to-publish-details-of-4bn-covid-contracts-with-private-firms. They probably think its worth the risk to make make enough ill gotten gains to me rich for life.

The government was not transparent about suppliers and services when it scrambled to award £18bn worth of Covid-19 contracts, the public spending watchdog has said.

Of these, £10.5bn-worth were awarded directly without a competitive tender process, the report said.

Yes, it comes across as cronyism on a grand scale. The apathy at present is probably helping them whereby many no doubt think "So they're corrupt. It's nothing new and we can't do anything about it." While simultaneously also voting for the bastards.

Don't give a crap about right or left wing here, we need to address the corruption and lying culture in our politics as it stinks.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2020 at 11:23am

You are correct Roy its a disgrace. This is the price you pay for not being prepared for risks which could have been foreseen. There is absolutely no doubt that well connected ex schoolboy chums will have benefitted enormously from the crisis. They should be rooted out and exposed just like the collaborators were in the War. 

If any MP is found to have been involved in any way they should be banned from holding public office for life. My real concern, of course, is that the investigating body is also probably full of the very same ex public school chummies who have their snouts in the trough. 

That will be useful for social distancing in the House of Commons as there'd barely be any there.

That Russia enquiry said something - you can even find the Government guilty of negligence towards an international threat and they will first ignore it and then make someone linked in that case a lord. It's the ultimate f you. We'll either/and get our own mates to do the inquiry and even if they find anything, just ignore them.

Why don't people care more??? Why are they so happy to believe what they know are lies??? I really don't understand what is going on the UK and US right now.

Said it before but the merger of politics and entertainment (facilitated by the media) has been disastrous.

Edited by dr_martinov - 18 November 2020 at 11:26am
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2020 at 11:42am
people find it hard to focus on whats true and whats lies. This to be is the biggest and worst of all the stinking corruption in politics since the illegal iraq invasion. These rats must be rooted out.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2020 at 11:52am
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

people find it hard to focus on whats true and whats lies. This to be is the biggest and worst of all the stinking corruption in politics since the illegal iraq invasion. These rats must be rooted out.

I think at some level people like believing lies, particularly if they blame other groups of people for all that's wrong in their lives. You could well argue the left do exactly this with the Tories but my counter-argument would be it's been them in charge for the past 10 years. THAT is the difference. I watched Politics Live yesterday on BBC and Owen Jones, who I don't particularly agree politically with BTW, called out Fraser Nelson (Spectator editor) saying he'd never published an opinion piece defending the Golden Dawn. This was an outright lie. The article has been deleted but you can find it, it does speak favourably about GD. He said this on live TV. On the BBC. It is a lie. And yet the BBC did nothing. By coincidence Andrew Neil is very well-connected to Nelson and the Spectator is a Tory magazine. Message is it is OK to lie if you are from a certain background and political leaning, even if you are a political magazine editor. And oh yes, what happened to a previous Spectator editor who has been sacked twice for lying? He is our current PM. The future is bright for Mr Nelson.

These are the terrible lessons we are being taught on a daily basis.
scarletabroad View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletabroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2020 at 11:53am
Tories Labour ummm the others are pretty much all the same, selfish self-centred main concern is ladder climbing and trying to tarnish the opposition. If they relied on putting their constituents first the representing them properly they wouldn’t have to worry about looking better than the opposition they are busy throwing much at, their actions would get them elected. However both main parties are now career politicians who especially in the front benches went to the same schools, there is no choice really it’s who is the least corrupt and least likely to cause chaos looking at the last three main clowns Blair took us to a war that shouldn’t have been and started then started reducing the army through redundancies plus wholesale privatisation of prisons, then you had piggy Cameron who in a foot stomping tantrum moment lost the EU vote and ran off leaving Boris don't need to say anything really.
Labour [beep] off Tories for not being prepared the same Labour who had 12 years in power and must have thought it was okay as they did nothing either.
We must have done something really bad in our previous lives to have such a shoddy bunch of reprobates representing us.
Obviously not a good day at the office vent over but feelings still high
Jones2004 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2020 at 3:04pm
I can understand awarding contracts without tender in March / April when we just needed any proper PPE we could find. However the scale of the contracts and how long they’ve awarded them for is truly disgraceful. Let’s hope that people remember how taxpayers’ money has been spent come the next election.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2020 at 5:35pm
Hard not to read into this business with "the Prittster" as yet another high up person breaking the rules and getting away with it.

One set of rules for us...
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2020 at 6:37pm
Boris clearly has not learned his lesson from the Cummings debacle.

He failed to act then by not firing him, and is doing the same again.

Will the man ever learn??? 
Dai Guevara View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai Guevara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2020 at 9:47pm
Originally posted by ap sior ap sior wrote:

Boris is clearly a clown, with very few ideas of his own. He tries to surround himself with what he thinks are strong characters and ideas he can borrow to make him look similarly strong.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2020 at 11:40pm
Originally posted by Dai Guevara Dai Guevara wrote:

Originally posted by ap sior ap sior wrote:

Boris is clearly a clown, with very few ideas of his own. He tries to surround himself with what he thinks are strong characters and ideas he can borrow to make him look similarly strong.

do you mean his girlfriend LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 30>
  Share Topic