Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

So onto Europe

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Micro Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2018 at 11:44am
We're fortunate that we're stacked at centre at the moment.

As long as we don't break Foxy again.
New KALAMAFONI - BEAST MODE t-shirt now available online.

Plus a new 'Sosban Fach Scoundrels' range.

Paste the link below into your URL:
https://llanelli.teemill.com/
Sponsored Links

coldith View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coldith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2018 at 11:53am
Originally posted by greypower1 greypower1 wrote:

Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

O'Brien has greater pace, acceleration and ability to beat a man. He is also not averse to chipping over the top of a rush-defence, which if done occasionally, early on, tends to slow the rush down as they become unsure whether they will be able to carry on charging or will have to stop, turn to and defend an awkwardly bouncing chip.
 If you take Phil Bennett and Stephen Jones as the two pinnacles of Scarlets 10s then Dan is more of the Stevo mould and Angus is more like Phil. Which you choose depends on the type of game you want to play, but I think it's Dan's current form that's given Angus the opportunity.

What's wrong with Dan's current form? He is playing all for the "A" team isn't he? we

Dan is still carrying an injury that he sustained against Ulster. It’s only because all other 10’s were injured that he had to play
Llywarch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Llywarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2018 at 12:11pm
I think Dan is comfortably better than O'Brien when both are on form. Dan's played a number of big games for us and done very well in them over the past few years. Yes he has things to work on but I think O'Brien currently doesn't look like the real deal, he doesn't naturally pass in a way that particularly gets the backs moving. And I've seen nothing to suggest he's got enough lead in his boot to be a kicking 10. 
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2018 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by Llywarch Llywarch wrote:

I think Dan is comfortably better than O'Brien when both are on form. Dan's played a number of big games for us and done very well in them over the past few years. Yes he has things to work on but I think O'Brien currently doesn't look like the real deal, he doesn't naturally pass in a way that particularly gets the backs moving. And I've seen nothing to suggest he's got enough lead in his boot to be a kicking 10. 

Thats a reasonable point. Dan has been tried & tested in big games & come through well. I have not seen enough of Angus to really pass judgement. I only noticed that he has some pace about him. I am glad we are able to be talking about two very competent back ups. 
Mr Ian View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2018 at 12:20pm
I m happy of this competion for a shirt, sign of depth in many roles...In my view O Brien did well when called in cause. Maybe Dan is better then him, but he has to be focused in every match and sometimes he didnt..so this competion could be good for both
NobbySosban View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobbySosban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2018 at 12:44pm
Update on Tom's injury from this morning's presser with Pivac. He also bigs up Steff.

Originally posted by Wayne Pivac Wayne Pivac wrote:

Tom injured an AC [acromioclavicular] joint on the weekend and he has had a scan and there is some damage there. He will see a surgeon and we will know more then. He won't be available for the weekend.

Steff (Evans) had a very good game (in the A game against Munster in Friday night). The things we wanted him to work on, the mistakes we needed him to eliminate from him game he was able to do that in the last outing. So he comes right back into the reckoning. He's had about five or six games of rugby under his belt so the knee is fine.

He's a bright young guy and he knows he's not the finished product but he's working hard to be that person. I think you'll see a better Steff Evans for the work he's been doing.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2018 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by Llywarch Llywarch wrote:

i agree about Dan - he's done well in Europe in the past, and if he's fit (is he?) then I'd have him as back up to Patch. As for O'Brien - always liked him in Wales U-20s, but haven't seen enough of him yet at senior level to judge.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
turkishrebel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turkishrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2018 at 3:45pm
any news on any injuries with racing? they have a massive team. been inconsistent so far, lets hope it a downer this saturday
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!
Rob o'r Bont View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2018 at 4:24pm
Weather looks pretty shocking for the weekend.  Yellow weather warning out for all day Friday and Saturday for rain.   

Edited by Rob o'r Bont - 09 October 2018 at 4:24pm
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
gorau View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gorau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2018 at 5:00pm
Looks like Steff will be back according to the interview Pivac had with Wales Online
eds
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2018 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by gorau gorau wrote:

Looks like Steff will be back according to the interview Pivac had with Wales Online

The obvious pick with Prydie out - Asquith would be the alternative.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2018 at 7:08pm
I agree beirne massive miss as is barclay at the breakdown, add the genius of cubby and shingler and its no surprise were struggling to readjust here... As for jackalling, boyde is back and hes handy in that key area....How good a jackaller is Macleod, Blade and kennedy? 
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
BigRed1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigRed1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2018 at 7:34pm
Why has no one mentioned Jake Ball, have I missed something? Is he out injured?
He was immense against Spreys.
BigRed
BigRed1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigRed1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2018 at 7:40pm
Aber-fan wrote:
Selection will depend to some extent on fitness...

Foxy coming back in would be a huge plus... Rob and Cummins would improve the options available, though Bulbring and Price (the prop) are none too shabby as alternatives.

Prydie was injured and may be out (anyone know?) so Steff has every chance to be included. So I'd probably go with this side (if the assumptions about fitness/injury are correct):

Halfpenny

McNicholl
Foxy
Parkes
Steff

Patch
Cawdor

Wyn Jones
Ken O
Samson
Ball
Cummins
Kennedy
Boyde
Blade

Subs:
Elias
Rob Evans
Kruger
Bulbring
Macleod

Hidalgo-Clyde
Dan Jones
Asquith

How come no Jake Ball?
BigRed
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2018 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by BigRed1 BigRed1 wrote:

Aber-fan wrote:
Selection will depend to some extent on fitness...

Foxy coming back in would be a huge plus... Rob and Cummins would improve the options available, though Bulbring and Price (the prop) are none too shabby as alternatives.

Prydie was injured and may be out (anyone know?) so Steff has every chance to be included. So I'd probably go with this side (if the assumptions about fitness/injury are correct):

Halfpenny

McNicholl
Foxy
Parkes
Steff

Patch
Cawdor

Wyn Jones
Ken O
Samson
Ball
Cummins
Kennedy
Boyde
Blade

Subs:
Elias
Rob Evans
Kruger
Bulbring
Macleod

Hidalgo-Clyde
Dan Jones
Asquith

How come no Jake Ball?

His name is there
I agree though , ball was missing most of last season and his return is massive
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
diego6754 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diego6754 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2018 at 8:09pm
Weather is going to be shocking and they have a huge ass pack. This could be very very tricky!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic