Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

So this 'loan' then

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2020 at 8:28am
Originally posted by Speedy Speedy wrote:

Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

The WRU can forget player power for this then. No more early camps.

Any player not picked in matchday squad gets released back to region.

Legally this can backfire on WRU. They are still treating 3 privately run business like they are semi pro social clubs.

Time for a rebel season.
who we going to play?  regional Round robin for a year? 

Who did Cardiff and Swansea play in the last one?
the english clubs dont need the extra 4 games vs the regions. Plus with no crowds allowed in, the regions wouldn't survive 12 weeks let alone 12 months.
I'd love us to be in a Anglo English league but it's not going to happen under a "rebel" season

Your kidding yourself with this idea  sadly

Edited by RR1972 - 09 September 2020 at 10:22am
Sponsored Links

scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2020 at 10:21am

Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Legally this can backfire on WRU. They are still treating 3 privately run business like they are semi pro social clubs.

Time for a rebel season.
The players would choose the national side though.

They didnt last time.
Huh? When?
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2020 at 10:28am
Originally posted by supertaf supertaf wrote:

Originally posted by KID A KID A wrote:

Originally posted by supertaf supertaf wrote:

Im not sure I agree with the fact its the clubs responsibility. The WRU owe us the money under the agreement, its not their fault or ours that we are in this situation BUT we are funded by them, its not an annual loan we repay. Imagine I owed you £50 and I said, heres the £50 I owe you but I want it back later?? Makes no sense at all.
On the point about the new guy, you need to research his history, if it was down to him we would have 2 regions now. He is the Doctor Beeching of the rugby world, a bean counter. Not a man to run a rugby union in my (and many other peoples) opinion. Scary times ahead.

The problem is, in the agremeent with the WRU, the 4 regions are due to be funded whatever is left in the pot after the community game has their ringfenced £11m. They didn't sign up to get paid £20m+ annually. So the WRU don't have to give them £20m+

Of course they never foresaw a global pandemic which ripped off that £20m. So it's now gone down to £3m, and thew rest of it is made up for by by a loan.

Happy to admit my misunderstanding as that isnt how i thought it worked. Seems a ridiculous agreement especially with a body as untrustworthy as the WRU but hey ho. It also seems an incredibly risky strategy though and one that has well and truly bitten pro rugby on the arse. Its still odd though that without the regions, there is no Welsh team yet they are treated with a fair amount of distain. I would just refuse to play/release players tbh.

Under the IRB guidelines there is a certain period before games the regions have to release the players for though

Granted not as long as we do at the moment, the top 38 players  have 80% of the salary  paid for by the wru don't they?

The regions need to be able to get access to all the money they generate eg from tv, ccv etc directly until they do so the union will always have the whip hand

This new guy background makes me think we are  more likely to see a  reduced   number of regions with greater control for the wru over the top players more so than increased funding for the regions and the regions having more access to the top players
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2020 at 10:30am

Time for a rebel season.
The players would choose the national side though.

They didnt last time.
Huh? When?

the Cardiff and Swansea players were still eligible for wales that season, the clubs were  just not allowed to play European rugby

This rebel season stuff is pie in the sky nonsense anyhow it's never going to happen 

Edited by RR1972 - 09 September 2020 at 10:30am
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2020 at 1:24pm
I never said its happening. I said its whats needed. 
LLANDRE View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LLANDRE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2020 at 3:32pm
From the games I've seen lately, the games are far more exciting in the Pro14 than the Guinness premiership. 
West is Best (Fin gwybod)
EJPT View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2020 at 3:49pm
Prem teams have always relied on strong forward play, rolling mauls, big bruisers carrying hard. Some teams Gloucester in particular seem to be adopting a different style and are good to watch. But I’d have to say the variety of styles in the pro-14 is generally quite exciting. There are some absolute bore-fests in each league though. I watched Leinster Ulster a few weeks back and it was just a kick tennis game. I expect the final to be the same.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic