Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > OTHER SPORTS
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

sospan fach at the test .

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2009 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by dr_martinov dr_martinov wrote:

Must feel a bit weird supporting a side called England though?

If it's new to you then yes.

If you grew up wanting to play for them then no.
Sponsored Links

dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2009 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by KID A KID A wrote:

Originally posted by dr_martinov dr_martinov wrote:

Must feel a bit weird supporting a side called England though?

If it's new to you then yes.

If you grew up wanting to play for them then no.

I do think they should sort the name out to being officially England and Wales and have this represented by the badge, flags and even songs. More like what the West Indies do. Aim to encourage more to take an interest in cricket in Wales. I know this will take time and them playing a big test match in Cardiff is a big start IMO.

I enjoy watching cricket but find it a bit hard to really support England. The name's part of that and I'm not denying it's down to petty prejudices but they'd be easily addressed.

I'm going to have a guess at a 1-1 series result.

Edited by dr_martinov - 13 July 2009 at 2:29pm
StradeGirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StradeGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2009 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by KID A KID A wrote:

Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

I think I'll stick with rugby. I just can't see the appeal in cricket personally.

Maybe if you had been there your opinion might have changed. It was amazing.

I usually endure cricket in small doses. However, I went to Cardiff yesterday for the 5th day and had a fantastic day!  The setup up there regading food & drink was faultless. Loads of competent & pleasant staff too. A marvellous experience and one I'd happily go to again.

The atmosphere- especially towards the end, was amazing! Everyone around us was having a brilliant time and i can honestly say it was the best day out i've had for a long time:-)

scarletsrules View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletsrules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2009 at 10:47am
If sosban Fach can be sung at cardiff by fans, why does nobody at parc y scarlets bother singing it
Ciderman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ciderman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2009 at 10:54am
Be more like the West Indies?

Dear me,I'll ask you to go away for twenty minutes and read about the politics that have nearly ruined the game in those islands.
The CLR James tome,"Beyond a Boundary"is a good starting place.

The BBC report on the current players strike should be a good ending place.

Suggesting that the Windies are a good model to follow is a bit like saying the Nazi party had a good manifesto for equal oppurtunities.

Try and understand the situation before making a comparison.
The light at the end of the tunnel-is the light of an oncoming train
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2009 at 12:17pm
Suggesting the England and Wales cricket board move towards presenting a more united front in the international cricket world is nothing like saying I have support, and think they should emulate, a corrupt board who've mismanaged their side from being the best in the world to one in disarray.

The idea of a united Caribbean side is good IMO and it's obviously this I was referring to. I don't think there's many times where there's multiple countries being represented by one flag. England and Wales in cricket is one, and that's an English flag. I think it would only be beneficial to include Wales more obviously, which I know they've started, and I say they should continue doing so.

Your Nazi analogy is out of order and a bad analogy anyway.
Ciderman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ciderman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2009 at 12:38pm
Sorry,you're comparison was so poor I nearly choked on my tea,no point in trying to move the goalposts afterwards.
You obviously have no idea about cricket,just the ridiculous chip you have on your shoulder about the name of the team.
If you don't like it,don't watch it.

It's the England and Wales cricket board,would you prefer it if they put the Wales first?

To the vast majority it means nothing,the lads who I've spoken to since getting back from the Test loved every second and can't wait to go again.

Please try and read about the history and structure of cricket before jumping in with an ill informed argument.
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2009 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by Ciderman Ciderman wrote:

Sorry,you're comparison was so poor I nearly choked on my tea,no point in trying to move the goalposts afterwards.

At least his comparison was cricket based, rather than European facist regime based.

Ciderman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ciderman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2009 at 12:43pm

It's called making an extreme comparison.

Works like this.

Nazi party-not good

WICB-not good

The Nazi party did exist,no point in trying to pretend they didn't.
Why is it wrong to make a comparison between historical events?
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2009 at 1:25pm
Think I've got you now: as my favourite colours are red, white and black that must make me a jew-hating facist right?

You're making me go and on trying to get my point across so, last time: the England and Wales cricket board's international side is known by all as "England". They play with a badge with the three lions on it and they sing Jerusalem before the game. Now, I think these facts make it a little hard for some Welsh people to fully get behind the team as it's inbuilt that England are the big sporting rivals. What the hell is wrong with me suggesting they build on what they started in Cardiff and develop it further?

You may disagree with me about what's in a name but it's a deceptively big part of identity for some - look at the fuss over regionalisation for example. Also, when I met an American in the States who actually knew where Wales was, and it not being England, it was fantastic!

There's honestly no need for the condescending comments and the extreme, inaccurate comparisons. 
Ciderman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ciderman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2009 at 1:42pm
For the Lord's sake,I was not comparing your words.

I was deleiberately making an extreme comparison to show how off line you were.

Some chap the other day was suggesting that Wales had their own professional cricket team.

Would that suit?

Then maybe it's time to cut all affilaiation from the EWCB and start supporting grass roots cricket in Wales from within the Principality.

It really is a ridiculous argument,it doesn't make an ounce of sense.

It's a name.

It means nothing.

Just support the team like you'd  support the British Lions.
sospan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sospan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2009 at 1:51pm
British and Irish Lions Wink
Ciderman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ciderman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2009 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by sospan sospan wrote:

British and Irish Lions Wink
PedantShocked
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2009 at 3:21pm

Some chap the other day was suggesting that Wales had their own professional cricket team.

Would that suit?

Then maybe it's time to cut all affilaiation from the EWCB and start supporting grass roots cricket in Wales from within the Principality.

It really is a ridiculous argument,it doesn't make an ounce of sense.

Yeah that's a no brainer; we'd need more than 2 decent grounds! I'm a bit amazed Scotland has a one day side. Who knows in a few years if more get into the sport....?

It's a name.

It means nothing.

Just support the team like you'd  support the British Lions.

Indeed.

And of course I don't have a problem that you disagree and I get your reasons but leave out all that other rubbish mate! I think I'm done now, I'll go and buy some cricket history books.
Ciderman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ciderman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2009 at 6:14pm
You're missing the point.
My comparison was meant to be extreme to try and explain to you that the stance you were taking was,to me,extreme.
Over the last few days I've heard some terrible things aimed at the national cricket side,stuff which I find offensive.
This nationalistic,anti-English stuff is nasty and petty.
Cricket in Wales gains by having a strong affiliation to the EWCB.
Take that away and the game in the Principality dies.
Maybe some want that.
I know there are very many who don't.
SMELLYMIKE View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler
Apple rule

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMELLYMIKE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2009 at 11:42pm
If you dont have a problem with names , maybe we could call it wales , and ignore the english bit...after all , its all about just getting on with it
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic