Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

South African sides set to join Pro12

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiercel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: South African sides set to join Pro12
    Posted: 30 June 2017 at 7:15am
Sponsored Links

SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't blink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2017 at 8:41am
Hope not. Keep it European if anything.
John View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2017 at 8:47am
The degree of research involved in this article is not great. The first picture is of Hurricanes players in their home stadium. Very relevant.

Edited by John - 30 June 2017 at 8:47am
scarletsrules View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletsrules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2017 at 8:54am
It would be great to have them playing over here but travelling is bad enough going to Ireland , Scotland and Italy let alone adding South Africa to the list
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2017 at 9:23am
Originally posted by scarletsrules scarletsrules wrote:

It would be great to have them playing over here

Why?
scarletsrules View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletsrules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2017 at 9:58am
Originally posted by KID A KID A wrote:

Why?

All the people that go on about how great super rugby is , well 2 of the sides coming over , surely that will put extra bums on seats
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2017 at 10:08am

Why?

All the people that go on about how great super rugby is , well 2 of the sides coming over , surely that will put extra bums on seats

Well scarletrules Super Rugby certainly isn't great. Its in big trouble. They have expanded quickly & diluted the quality. The 5 NZ franchises are head & shoulders above everyone else & no-one wants to see 40-50 point hammerings. They are reducing from 18 to 15 next season & it probably won't stop there. Realistically the playing talent really only supports around 10 franchises with the Japanese & Argentinians being special cases bringing it to 12.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2017 at 10:13am
I have my reservations, but the flying / distance thing isn't one of them tbh...you can fly Cardiff-Joberg in 14 hours ( via The Dam)...just match that up with the travel times to some Euro grounds and the Italian teams...I suspect that they would make fixtures back to back so travel would be once a year to SA too.

van jaarsveld View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote van jaarsveld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2017 at 10:18am
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

I have my reservations, but the flying / distance thing isn't one of them tbh...you can fly Cardiff-Joberg in 14 hours ( via The Dam)...just match that up with the travel times to some Euro grounds and the Italian teams...I suspect that they would make fixtures back to back so travel would be once a year to SA too.

Yes the travelling and times are feasible.  Back to back games in Bloem and PE would also work and if they would be played in the New Year it would make for a very good trip.
SAV View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SAV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2017 at 10:19am
Nice trip for the kit man
as all the coaches left stradey , bound for nottingham , a sign on the m4 at hendy said , please can the last person close the door behind them , memories
najbritcol View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote najbritcol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2017 at 10:22am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Why?

Well scarletrules Super Rugby certainly isn't great. Its in big trouble. They have expanded quickly & diluted the quality. The 5 NZ franchises are head & shoulders above everyone else & no-one wants to see 40-50 point hammerings. They are reducing from 18 to 15 next season & it probably won't stop there. Realistically the playing talent really only supports around 10 franchises with the Japanese & Argentinians being special cases bringing it to 12.

The Pro 12 is also in trouble, which is one of the reasons why the two SA teams are joining in the first place - to add more money, especially from TV revenue.  In fact, you could argue that the Irish big three play largely the same role in the Pro 12 as the NZ franchises do in Super Rugby (maybe not to the same extreme extent, but still), while the Italians, Dragons, Edinburgh and until recently Connacht have played largely the same role as the Japanese, Argentinians and weaker SA and Aussie sides. 
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2017 at 10:30am

Why?

Do you think the South African rugby union is going to put it's top players in the competition to play against the likes of Treviso and Dragons? Or the one which Crusaders and Hurricanes play in? Do they have a huge tv market there that will get us more cash? Do the Cheetahs and Kings have huge travelling support?

Which of these players are you particularly excited about welcoming?

http://www.skings.co.za/super-rugby-2017-squad/

I've got form for being negative about the Pro12, and I'm wary of denouncing a Pro12 plan before it's even begun, when it really needs some positive news. But it really feels like a rearranging of the deckchairs rather than the huge shift in securing the extra £££ in broadcast money that we so desperately need.

I will be ecstatic to be proven wrong.
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2017 at 10:37am
oh well plenty of poaching material on show then when the Boks play in UK and desperate for a northern hemisphere club. The English clubs will be first in line and closely so will the Irish whilst we pick up any scraps with the Scots. Wink
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2017 at 10:48am
Will need some deep pockets for sponsorship 13 teams staying around 10 days in SA lot of money!

I am sure a SWOT analysis (Strength, Weakness, Opportunity, Threats)  has been undertaken.

I'm not sure myself, too much happening in Super rugby, SA rugby, to make a decision.

Is this a way of keeping SA rugby happy, or an improvement to the league?

We do not have any facts.
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2017 at 11:40am
Originally posted by najbritcol najbritcol wrote:

Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Why?

The Pro 12 is also in trouble, which is one of the reasons why the two SA teams are joining in the first place - to add more money, especially from TV revenue.  In fact, you could argue that the Irish big three play largely the same role in the Pro 12 as the NZ franchises do in Super Rugby (maybe not to the same extreme extent, but still), while the Italians, Dragons, Edinburgh and until recently Connacht have played largely the same role as the Japanese, Argentinians and weaker SA and Aussie sides. 
It seems to me that last season the Scarlets were head and shoulders above the Irish provinces....
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
NobbySosban View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NobbySosban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2017 at 11:48am
It's going to be a huge change and, as they only have 4-6 weeks more to resolve some pretty major logistical challenges, I don't expect the solution to be anywhere near perfect, certainly for Year 1.

I'm also concerned that combining 2 sets of problems could result in one unholy mess, but I also believe that shared problems can bring great opportunities. Pro12 needs to explore new chances - the crisis in SANZAAR and 2 SA pro teams suddenly becoming unbusy probably offers too good an opportunity to pass up. But I'll be watching the inevitable announcements with a mixture of interest, excitement and hide-behind-the-sofa terror in the coming weeks.

At least Scarlets will be the reigning Pro12 Champions for many years to come...

Twitterer @ebenezer68
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>
  Share Topic