Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Speed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diego6754 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2019 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by Mugwuffin Mugwuffin wrote:

Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Originally posted by BlackwoodScarlet BlackwoodScarlet wrote:

Prydie used be a sub 11sec for 100 m

I seriously doubt that is true. Sub-11s is exceptional for a rugby player. Prydie has never shown that kind of pace, even as a youngster.

Quoted in an article on Walesonline as clocking 10.98 sec.

there's quite a few rugby players sub 11 for 100m.

Tom Prydie, Kristian Phillips, Harry Robinson (was the quickest player in Wales at one time over 50m).
Although Kristian Phillips had not done a timed 100m since giving up athletics as he was doing more 40/60m bursts, but his 100m time the last time was sub 11. Pretty sure Eli Walker was a sub 11 runner as well.

Then there players like Dan Norton, Bryan Habana, Rococoko, Howlett etc, also all sub 11 over 100m. close to the 10.5 mark - Looking through past rugby players, Jonah Lomu was 10.6.

"World class rugby speed" is believed to be around the 10.5 mark. Jonny May is reportedly around that speed with 10.49.

I don’t think pro teams measure 100m, so most of these times need to be taken with a larch pinch of salt.

Kristian Phillips was pretty rapid, so I could imagine him being around the best in Wales at the shorter sprints. Harry Robinson being the quickest would be a surprise though. It was like he was he was carrying a fridge on his back after the first 10 metres when he used to sprint. He was quite slow for such a light player.

100m top speed is not really a factor for rugby players. Speed of the mark and acceleration after changing direction are far more important. Some players I think are like dogs, give them something to chase and they put on a yard. Ieuan is a prime example.

Anyway, this is quite interesting. Carling Isles 10.13. Wow. Especially surprising seen as he's named after a lager!

http://www.menstuff.co.za/features/who-is-the-fastest-rugby-player-in-the-world/

Something in the back of my head makes me think I heard Shingler was the fastest in the squad at some point...
Sponsored Links

PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2019 at 2:46pm

Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Originally posted by BlackwoodScarlet BlackwoodScarlet wrote:

Prydie used be a sub 11sec for 100 m

I seriously doubt that is true. Sub-11s is exceptional for a rugby player. Prydie has never shown that kind of pace, even as a youngster.

Quoted in an article on Walesonline as clocking 10.98 sec.

there's quite a few rugby players sub 11 for 100m.

Tom Prydie, Kristian Phillips, Harry Robinson (was the quickest player in Wales at one time over 50m).
Although Kristian Phillips had not done a timed 100m since giving up athletics as he was doing more 40/60m bursts, but his 100m time the last time was sub 11. Pretty sure Eli Walker was a sub 11 runner as well.

Then there players like Dan Norton, Bryan Habana, Rococoko, Howlett etc, also all sub 11 over 100m. close to the 10.5 mark - Looking through past rugby players, Jonah Lomu was 10.6.

"World class rugby speed" is believed to be around the 10.5 mark. Jonny May is reportedly around that speed with 10.49.

I don’t think pro teams measure 100m, so most of these times need to be taken with a larch pinch of salt.

Kristian Phillips was pretty rapid, so I could imagine him being around the best in Wales at the shorter sprints. Harry Robinson being the quickest would be a surprise though. It was like he was he was carrying a fridge on his back after the first 10 metres when he used to sprint. He was quite slow for such a light player.

even though teams don't do it a few players have done it themselves, but short 40m60m bursts is whats measured these days - but Harry Robinson, when he was coming through was the quickest in Wales, when he was 18 I think. Obviously since those tests, he put weight on and possibly lost a yard or two of pace, and also his injuries would have had an impact - especially by the time he came to us.

Kristian stated in the meet the players when someone asked him what his time was, he was quite honest saying he hadn't timed since giving up athletics but his last time was sub 11 when he was 16...not 100% if he was a Welsh Juniors 100m champion?

But sub11 speed players are not that rare in pro rugby - its just that that's a one off effort - rugby is a 80min game so stamina needs to be built to sustain close to that speed.

the average male apparently should be able to do 100m in 16secs...the ones who have some natural speed, could hit sub14...so for a professional rugby player on the wing, I would say majority would be sub 12, with a fair number around the 11 mark with the top 10% clocking 10.5.

We will never know for sure as not many teams time it.

Wonder if there's something that can be done in the off season!

Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2019 at 4:05pm
Going back years now, but Phil Bennett was the quickest over 50 yds (as was then) in the Scarlets squad even when JJ Williams was playing, but then the rest caught up.

Speed is a great asset, if one knows what to do with it, sounds crazy, but take Tom Prydie, fast over 100 mtrs, but can get caught (and does) over the first 20, he is also slow in reacting.

Benny was a master at it, broke the defence and handed it on to the other players, remember we really had fast players then, JJ, Andy Hill, Wayne Lewis (remember him), just to name 3.

Speed is just one asset of a rugby player, an important one I know.
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
SAV View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SAV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2019 at 4:14pm
Remember nigel walker , couldn't tackle much but could he run .
as all the coaches left stradey , bound for nottingham , a sign on the m4 at hendy said , please can the last person close the door behind them , memories
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2019 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by Dai38 Dai38 wrote:

Going back years now, but Phil Bennett was the quickest over 50 yds (as was then) in the Scarlets squad even when JJ Williams was playing, but then the rest caught up.

Speed is a great asset, if one knows what to do with it, sounds crazy, but take Tom Prydie, fast over 100 mtrs, but can get caught (and does) over the first 20, he is also slow in reacting.

Benny was a master at it, broke the defence and handed it on to the other players, remember we really had fast players then, JJ, Andy Hill, Wayne Lewis (remember him), just to name 3.

indeed. Prydie quite possible in the Mark Jones mould where speed is built over distance - where someone like Steff Evs, has it instant top speed. two different things.

Edited by PE SA - 28 January 2019 at 4:37pm
ScarletBear View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2019 at 5:41pm
Acceleration is what we are talking about.
Scarlets before Wales
SassuWunnu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote SassuWunnu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2019 at 5:55pm
My dad reckons speed over the first 5m is the most important thing...and over the years I've come to agree.
He's in his 70s but i bet he could still beat me over 15m......by 30m he'd be having a heart attack and dying, but by then id be well away!Smile
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2019 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by ScarletBear ScarletBear wrote:

Acceleration is what we are talking about.

That's certainly key in making an initial line break... afterwards, it helps if the player can pace his run over a longer distance. Cawdor has his critics, but he can do both, as some of his interception tries over the years have proved.

As for the rest of the squad - I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Foxy - his thighs are so big it looks as if he's just jogging, but he's really quick IMO. Nicholas is fast, as is Conbeer for the future. 

I agree though that we need to invest in more power carriers for the second/back row - Jake's performance the other day showed what we'd been missing.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2019 at 3:47pm

Is that the same Wayne Lewis as played for Llandeilo school? If so, I believe I played against him at schools level - though as I was a prop, our paths didn't cross, surprisingly enough!Wink
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2019 at 4:55pm
He did come from that area, but as it was working opportunities took him yo Cardiff where he played a bit, then disappeared from the scene, a really good rugby player who could play anywhere behind the scrum except 9, and I think he did.
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2019 at 5:13pm

He did come from that area, but as it was working opportunities took him yo Cardiff where he played a bit, then disappeared from the scene, a really good rugby player who could play anywhere behind the scrum except 9, and I think he did.

If I remember correctly Wayne Lewis played on wing for Cardiff when we beat them 30-7 in the Welsh Cup Final 1973 .
Tim Opolis View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim Opolis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2019 at 5:38pm

indeed. Prydie quite possible in the Mark Jones mould where speed is built over distance - where someone like Steff Evs, has it instant top speed. two different things.

One of the quickest off the mark tries Ive ever seen was Mark Jones V Wasps at Stradey. Explosive off the mark pace.
Tymor nesa Duw, plis tymor nesa.
tannerbankboy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tannerbankboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2019 at 8:11pm
Clayton B is pretty rapid but nothing else so speed isn't everything.  

Cawdor is a flyer off the mark and can maintain it for a good distance.  

It's all about how and when it's used.  

Foxy isn't a flyer but no slouch when there's a gap to go for.  He also ran down an AB wing in the 3rd test in NZ for the Lions in 17 after an intercept late on.
kcreg View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kcreg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2019 at 8:33pm
what about usain bolt?
I WAS THERE-LIBERTY STADIUM 11/9/07 & 26/3/16

OSPREYS 9-SCARLETS 14!
OSPEYS 16-SCARLETS 25!
Sosban bach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban bach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2019 at 11:47pm
Originally posted by tannerbankboy tannerbankboy wrote:

<div style=": transparent; -: none; border-bottom-color: rgb0, 0, 0; border-bottom-style: none; border-bottom-width: 0px; border--outset: 0; border--repeat: stretch; border--slice: 100%; border--source: none; border--width: 1; border-left-color: rgb0, 0, 0; border-left-style: none; border-left-width: 0px; border-right-color: rgb0, 0, 0; border-right-style: none; border-right-width: 0px; border-top-color: rgb0, 0, 0; border-top-style: none; border-top-width: 0px; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-family: Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: 16.8px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-top: 0px; orphans: 2; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-indent: 0px; text-trans: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;">Clayton B is pretty rapid but nothing else so speed isn't everything.  <div style=": transparent; -: none; border-bottom-color: rgb0, 0, 0; border-bottom-style: none; border-bottom-width: 0px; border--outset: 0; border--repeat: stretch; border--slice: 100%; border--source: none; border--width: 1; border-left-color: rgb0, 0, 0; border-left-style: none; border-left-width: 0px; border-right-color: rgb0, 0, 0; border-right-style: none; border-right-width: 0px; border-top-color: rgb0, 0, 0; border-top-style: none; border-top-width: 0px; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-family: Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: 16.8px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-top: 0px; orphans: 2; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-indent: 0px; text-trans: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;"><br style=": transparent; -: none; border-bottom-color: rgb0, 0, 0; border-bottom-style: none; border-bottom-width: 0px; border--outset: 0; border--repeat: stretch; border--slice: 100%; border--source: none; border--width: 1; border-left-color: rgb0, 0, 0; border-left-style: none; border-left-width: 0px; border-right-color: rgb0, 0, 0; border-right-style: none; border-right-width: 0px; border-top-color: rgb0, 0, 0; border-top-style: none; border-top-width: 0px; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-family: Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif; font-size: 12px; font-weight: 400; line-height: 16.8px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-top: 0px;"><div style=": transparent; -: none; border-bottom-color: rgb0, 0, 0; border-bottom-style: none; border-bottom-width: 0px; border--outset: 0; border--repeat: stretch; border--slice: 100%; border--source: none; border--width: 1; border-left-color: rgb0, 0, 0; border-left-style: none; border-left-width: 0px; border-right-color: rgb0, 0, 0; border-right-style: none; border-right-width: 0px; border-top-color: rgb0, 0, 0; border-top-style: none; border-top-width: 0px; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-family: Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: 16.8px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-top: 0px; orphans: 2; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-indent: 0px; text-trans: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;">Cawdor is a flyer off the mark and can maintain it for a good distance.  <div style=": transparent; -: none; border-bottom-color: rgb0, 0, 0; border-bottom-style: none; border-bottom-width: 0px; border--outset: 0; border--repeat: stretch; border--slice: 100%; border--source: none; border--width: 1; border-left-color: rgb0, 0, 0; border-left-style: none; border-left-width: 0px; border-right-color: rgb0, 0, 0; border-right-style: none; border-right-width: 0px; border-top-color: rgb0, 0, 0; border-top-style: none; border-top-width: 0px; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-family: Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: 16.8px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-top: 0px; orphans: 2; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-indent: 0px; text-trans: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;"><br style=": transparent; -: none; border-bottom-color: rgb0, 0, 0; border-bottom-style: none; border-bottom-width: 0px; border--outset: 0; border--repeat: stretch; border--slice: 100%; border--source: none; border--width: 1; border-left-color: rgb0, 0, 0; border-left-style: none; border-left-width: 0px; border-right-color: rgb0, 0, 0; border-right-style: none; border-right-width: 0px; border-top-color: rgb0, 0, 0; border-top-style: none; border-top-width: 0px; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-family: Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif; font-size: 12px; font-weight: 400; line-height: 16.8px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-top: 0px;"><div style=": transparent; -: none; border-bottom-color: rgb0, 0, 0; border-bottom-style: none; border-bottom-width: 0px; border--outset: 0; border--repeat: stretch; border--slice: 100%; border--source: none; border--width: 1; border-left-color: rgb0, 0, 0; border-left-style: none; border-left-width: 0px; border-right-color: rgb0, 0, 0; border-right-style: none; border-right-width: 0px; border-top-color: rgb0, 0, 0; border-top-style: none; border-top-width: 0px; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-family: Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: 16.8px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-top: 0px; orphans: 2; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-indent: 0px; text-trans: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;">It's all about how and when it's used.  <div style=": transparent; -: none; border-bottom-color: rgb0, 0, 0; border-bottom-style: none; border-bottom-width: 0px; border--outset: 0; border--repeat: stretch; border--slice: 100%; border--source: none; border--width: 1; border-left-color: rgb0, 0, 0; border-left-style: none; border-left-width: 0px; border-right-color: rgb0, 0, 0; border-right-style: none; border-right-width: 0px; border-top-color: rgb0, 0, 0; border-top-style: none; border-top-width: 0px; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-family: Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: 16.8px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-top: 0px; orphans: 2; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-indent: 0px; text-trans: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;"><br style=": transparent; -: none; border-bottom-color: rgb0, 0, 0; border-bottom-style: none; border-bottom-width: 0px; border--outset: 0; border--repeat: stretch; border--slice: 100%; border--source: none; border--width: 1; border-left-color: rgb0, 0, 0; border-left-style: none; border-left-width: 0px; border-right-color: rgb0, 0, 0; border-right-style: none; border-right-width: 0px; border-top-color: rgb0, 0, 0; border-top-style: none; border-top-width: 0px; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-family: Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif; font-size: 12px; font-weight: 400; line-height: 16.8px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-top: 0px;"><div style=": transparent; -: none; border-bottom-color: rgb0, 0, 0; border-bottom-style: none; border-bottom-width: 0px; border--outset: 0; border--repeat: stretch; border--slice: 100%; border--source: none; border--width: 1; border-left-color: rgb0, 0, 0; border-left-style: none; border-left-width: 0px; border-right-color: rgb0, 0, 0; border-right-style: none; border-right-width: 0px; border-top-color: rgb0, 0, 0; border-top-style: none; border-top-width: 0px; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-family: Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: 16.8px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-top: 0px; orphans: 2; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-indent: 0px; text-trans: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;">Foxy isn't a flyer but no slouch when there's a gap to go for.  He also ran down an AB wing in the 3rd test in NZ for the Lions in 17 after an intercept late on.

Yep was just about to mention that by foxy he had to turn and catch up to him that was the moment for me where I thought fair play foxy must have some real gas to catch that guy
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2019 at 5:03am

lord wayne of derwydd is his nickname,lives just outside of llandybie.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic