Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stradey remembered

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2017 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by Speedy Speedy wrote:

This isnt the team i loved. The team i loved i would have followed to the end of the earth. I cant put my finger on one exact thing.

But it just isnt Llanelli Rugby Football Club anymore.

I thought we stood alone? Why did we fight?

I know where you're coming from on this, but I think it's more that the sport itself isn't what it was, rather than it not being the club we supported anymore.

I think our backers and management have been fantastic in keeping our history and tradition at the top end of the game despite incredible challenges. It's just gut-wrenching that we're not enjoying success or magical runs in Europe anymore.
Sponsored Links

Tim Opolis View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim Opolis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2017 at 1:08pm
I overheard a one time scarlets season ticket holder say he knew of lots of people who don't go now because its not 'Llanelli' anymore. I found that statement hard to believe, and wrote it off. But I'll ask the question, any truth in this based on people you might know?

I do know of some people who haven't ever come to Y Parc but were regulars at Stradey. I thought that they would eventually come back, but it hasn't happened yet. Wish I knew why.
Tymor nesa Duw, plis tymor nesa.
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2017 at 1:25pm
The population of the district is growing with new housing developments etc and all of these should certainly be prospective supporters as they have no baggage as we move on into 2017. I wonder if more could be done in that area to attract fans? Eg deals with developers for first season welcome to Llanelli discounts?  

Edited by reesytheexile - 15 March 2017 at 1:26pm
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook
LLANDRE View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LLANDRE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2017 at 1:26pm
I've enjoyed my visits to the Parc but it's not as intimate as Stradey. In the same way I proffered the old Cardiff Arms Park to the Millienium Stadium. Having all the comforts etc doesn't make it so much fun.
West is Best (Fin gwybod)
Rob o'r Bont View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2017 at 6:21pm
Chin up everyone. Mae fel angladd ma. Smile

That's the Scarlets, its in their DNA.
Tim Opolis View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Tim Opolis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2017 at 7:15pm
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

The population of the district is growing with new housing developments etc and all of these should certainly be prospective supporters as they have no baggage as we move on into 2017. I wonder if more could be done in that area to attract fans? Eg deals with developers for first season welcome to Llanelli discounts?  

Good idea especially with the new houses to be built close by. We obviously have attracted new fans which have replaced those who have walked away. But what concerns me is that attendances are pretty stagnant.

When Roger went and the new regime came into Westgate Street I was very optimistic about the future. The success of recent Judgement Days was another boost for the Pro game, PRO Rugby Wales etc etc. But recently the future looks somewhat gloomier. Dont like the idea of a region being totally in WRU control. I can only see that putting the other 3 at a disadvantage. If the Blue eyed Blues went that way as well it would be a huge concern. Dont like the idea of the WRU owning all regions either as there would be player movement outside of our control. The NDC's have also been a huge let down with clear disparity and some unfairness.

As for us, we're doing ok in the great scheme of things on the pitch, but the crowds have not materialised. The problems of PRO rugby still remain, jees, when was the last game? If I wasnt a lifer you could see how easy it would be for someone to find something else to do on the weekend. Obviously the success of the Swans affects us, 3pm kick off every other week, people form habits.

Wherever you look in the Welsh Pro game there always seems to be hurdles, hindrances. The latest is the Fail Online revelling in half baked specualtion of mergers, stuff like that certainly doesnt help promote the pro game in Wales.

I just wish the state of our position was a little bit stronger than it is. While we struggle to get top 4 or get out of our group in Europe things whilst not in decline, well kind of trundle on if you know what I mean.

I really hope we can have a strong finish to the season and get some feel good factor going. A full house and win against the O's and good old fashioned Scarlet trip to a play off wouldnt do any harm at all.

Back on topic, Stradey was great and should be honoured and remembered, but we cant look back too much. Its people that make venues special and those fine people are still there in decent enough numbers. Got to keep fighting, and continue to jump hurdles.
Tymor nesa Duw, plis tymor nesa.
scarlet_rob View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarlet_rob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2017 at 7:55pm
Originally posted by Tim Opolis Tim Opolis wrote:

I overheard a one time scarlets season ticket holder say he knew of lots of people who don't go now because its not 'Llanelli' anymore. I found that statement hard to believe, and wrote it off. But I'll ask the question, any truth in this based on people you might know?

I do know of some people who haven't ever come to Y Parc but were regulars at Stradey. I thought that they would eventually come back, but it hasn't happened yet. Wish I knew why.

Do they still go and watch Llanelli and follow them around South Wales?
scarlet_rob View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote scarlet_rob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2017 at 7:59pm
Originally posted by Mike Mike wrote:

This isnt the team i loved. The team i loved i would have followed to the end of the earth. I cant put my finger on one exact thing.

I know where you're coming from on this, but I think it's more that the sport itself isn't what it was, rather than it not being the club we supported anymore.

I think our backers and management have been fantastic in keeping our history and tradition at the top end of the game despite incredible challenges. It's just gut-wrenching that we're not enjoying success or magical runs in Europe anymore.

You've hit the nail on the head there, it isn't so easy to follow a team when it's starved of success, all sports are littered with examples of this. Reasons such as the move from Stradey or it's not Llanelli really help with the excuse to not go and follow the team.
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2017 at 8:14pm
It would be interesting to compare crowds from Stradey to now I bet there not much difference though I could be way off the mark
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
Vulcan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Vulcan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2017 at 9:50pm
Mods, I think this is getting far too maudlin a post. Can you please close it?
I'm 78. My first visit to Stradey was in 1972 to see the 9-3 game. It was a fantastic occasion, me and my mate Bob Edwards from the Bont had an afternoon off to watch the game from TSAG at the old depot in Llangennech and we had a ball of a time.
45 years later things have changed, the game is no longer a sport, it's a business. Fortunately we had a backer, Huw, and a County Council to bail us out.
IMHO I don't think Llanelli bothers a toss about the Scarlets, don't ask me what the club should do about it. If I knew I'd tell them.
I've enjoyed the 45 years, here and in France.
Is Llanelli big enough to keep a Pro rugby team successful?

totallybiasedscarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote totallybiasedscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2017 at 11:20pm
I think the first game I saw at Strade was against Neath back in the 80's. I vividly remember Jiffy getting booed in his last game for us. I was under the scoreboard in '92 when Ieuan scored right in front of me. I can remember heckling Lawrence Dalaglio when Wasps visited ... and got stuffed by little old sospan .

They were happy days ... but it was a different era. I often walk past the site when I'm walking the dog and wonder what could've been if we'd had the money. Point is we didn't. We now have a modern stadium with a team that can beat the likes of Toulon and be reasonably competitive in the professional era. Does anyone else feel, like me, that it is a massive achievement for a little post-industrial town in West Wales to have achieved this? We may not have had it at all. We may yet lose it. But in the meantime, I'm sure as hell going to put some of my hard earned towards a season ticket every year and turn up to shout for the team in Scarlet. This side has a direct lineage from the Strade days and carries its heritage onwards. I'm mightily proud of what the Scarlets represent and all the lads who represent the team. We were the Llanelli Scarlets. We're bigger than that now. Yes it's different. Nothing ever stays the same.

I'm still proud of my Scarlets.
I've seen the truth ... and I don't understand it!
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2017 at 11:37pm

I'm not a Turk and don't have the emotional connection to Stradey, but it was a way more visceral experience than PYS. I loved the fact that I could basically sit next to the subs and the assistant ref would have to share the line with people heading for the bar or toilet. I loved taking my lad onto the pitch at full time to hassle the payers. I loved the way that 6,000 used to sound louder than 10,000 does at PYS.

That said, it was a crumbling wreck and we could never have raised the money to modernise it. PYS is a wonderful facility and every time I go there and see the satellite trucks and the amazing opposition teams like Toulon, Northampton or even the Ospreys I'm amazed and slightly ashamed more people from the immediate vicinity don't value it.

The earlier post that speaks of the amount of local boys in the squad is key for me. I'm not a Welsh speaker but I'm immensely proud of the amount of Welsh speaking (and West-Walian generally)players we have. That's the heritage, the essence of the club for me. I don't see why they ever dropped Llanelli from the name - it certainly hasn't achieved anything.

I just hope there is a viable future, a way to stay within grasp of those English and French teams and the chance of beating them. A way to keep offering a chance at stardom for kids from West Wales. I really do hope so.

Supporter of the evil region against the gallant union
s.pimpernel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
A.F.K.A.P.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s.pimpernel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2017 at 6:48am
Originally posted by Wasp Wasp wrote:

That said, it was a crumbling wreck and we could never have raised the money to modernise it. 

One of the issues is that the powers that be who were in charge at that time never stated publicly how much it would cost for Stradey to be modernised. All that was needed in reality was something similar to the current South Stand which would have replaced the South Stand at Stradey. 

It was at a time (2004) when the banks were cash rich and interest rates low. We could have borrowed (as well as grants, sponsorship and all other avenues of finance) if the appetite was there. And when all is said and done, the appetite wasn`t there. This was more about Pemberton Retail Park being built more than anything else.

For me, I see no reason why we couldn`t have had something very similar to Ravenhill/Kingspan built on the site at Stradey; a stadium which cost £22 million as opposed to the cost of PYS which was £20 million, and a far superior rugby stadium aesthetically IMHO.

Sadly it didn`t happen. Stradey ain`t getting rebulit. And that, as they say, is f**king that.
In Pivac we trust
John View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2017 at 7:42am

Originally posted by magicman64 magicman64 wrote:

Originally posted by RedZep RedZep wrote:

You remember how run down Stradey was becoming when you visit some of the Premiership clubs these days. Generally in modest/poor condition with awful pitches. What we now have at Parc Y Scarlets is not Stradey but it is a magnificent modern stadium fit for 2017 Professional rugby. I wish more would turn up though and support the region. The 14400 capacity is never attained apart from Ospreys once a year. Still sad mind re the old days. 

It wont be long before pys is in the same state.

What then?

I cant come and watch anymore. Its a dreadful experience.

Mate, the home games v Toulon and Sarries were anything but a dreadful experience. They were right up there with anything we had at Stradey, as were the performances. 

I miss the old girl as much as anyone, but what we have now at PYS is exactly what we need to be viable in a professional rugby environment. It really is time to move on. 
yeah couldn't agree with you more . Time to forget all the politics of the past and come watch the team we all love

We fought to maintain a top class team on the west bank of the Loughor, a team playing in red, a team that draws players from rural West Wales as well as the Llanelli area. A team where the language is important.
No it isn't Llanelli RFC anymore although that still exists. But it plays in Llanelli, in red, honours the history of the old side and we have had an assurance this year that our Captain will always the be a local Welsh-speaker.
If we hadn't fought, we would be playing in the Liberty, probably in white, with a Swansea dominated board, no honouring of Delme et al, minimal reference to the language and no connection to rural Wales so reduced opportunities for kids like Ken, Scott, Wyn etc to come through.

We fought, we won and it has been worth it.

Edited by John - 16 March 2017 at 7:46am
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2017 at 8:22am
Originally posted by John John wrote:

Originally posted by magicman64 magicman64 wrote:

Originally posted by RedZep RedZep wrote:

You remember how run down Stradey was becoming when you visit some of the Premiership clubs these days. Generally in modest/poor condition with awful pitches. What we now have at Parc Y Scarlets is not Stradey but it is a magnificent modern stadium fit for 2017 Professional rugby. I wish more would turn up though and support the region. The 14400 capacity is never attained apart from Ospreys once a year. Still sad mind re the old days. 

It wont be long before pys is in the same state.

What then?

I cant come and watch anymore. Its a dreadful experience.

Mate, the home games v Toulon and Sarries were anything but a dreadful experience. They were right up there with anything we had at Stradey, as were the performances. 

I miss the old girl as much as anyone, but what we have now at PYS is exactly what we need to be viable in a professional rugby environment. It really is time to move on. 
yeah couldn't agree with you more . Time to forget all the politics of the past and come watch the team we all love

We fought to maintain a top class team on the west bank of the Loughor, a team playing in red, a team that draws players from rural West Wales as well as the Llanelli area. A team where the language is important.
No it isn't Llanelli RFC anymore although that still exists. But it plays in Llanelli, in red, honours the history of the old side and we have had an assurance this year that our Captain will always the be a local Welsh-speaker.
If we hadn't fought, we would be playing in the Liberty, probably in white, with a Swansea dominated board, no honouring of Delme et al, minimal reference to the language and no connection to rural Wales so reduced opportunities for kids like Ken, Scott, Wyn etc to come through.

We fought, we won and it has been worth it.

Spot on we are the same team in a different part of town not to support them is churlish to say the least. I didn't like the way the move was handled badly and no doubt people put themselves before the region but if you can't support local boys playing in red representing the area then that is sad
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
jeremy windell View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeremy windell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2017 at 9:21am

I cannot, and will not go down there. It hurts too much to see what we gave up, for nothing.

I cant even look right anymore when i drive down sandy rd, which i always did before.

Bet you have a sly look to the left when you drive back though eh....
Go ahead..........Take those banana's
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>
  Share Topic