Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stradey remembered

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 12>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Micro Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2017 at 11:43am
With only 3 home games between mid February and August, the stark reality is that the rugby side of the stadium is the lowest priority.

You can't run a business on 3 matchdays in 6 months.

*NEW* KIDS HALFPENNY T SHIRTS
ON SALE NOW

http://llanellitee.spreadshirt.co.uk
Sponsored Links

Tim Opolis View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim Opolis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2017 at 1:49pm
Good posts OAM and Multi.

On the music playing thing: Whilst I don't like it, I can understand that it appeals to the younger generation. What we need is a bit of common sense though. If singing gets started and is going well, don't make unnecessary announcements or play music to drown it out. There should be a period at the beginning of the game for fans to be heard as well. I like flower of Scotland at Murrayfield when the pipes stop and its just the crowd singing.

Its that spine tingling singing, or the chanting of Scarlets going around the ground that I miss most from Stradey. In fairness there's been some good atmospheres in recent times, just need a bit of sympathetic direction from the stadium manager.
Tymor nesa Duw, plis tymor nesa.
Dafen Boy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dafen Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2017 at 3:59pm
First went to Stradey in 1962, and saw the 1963 All Blacks as my first touring team.  Was there for 9-3, and the Springboks, Wallabies and a few others, including the Barbarians game in the centenary season.

I remember after the 1973 Cup Final when we beat Cardiff handily, that was a hell of a good night in the club, when all other activity was curtailed as the players' bus was spotted near Sandy Bridge, and the real party started. Clap 

I have taken friends from South Africa and New Zealand to Stradey, and all were welcome and the place had the real rugby aura of the amateur era and centre of the community.  The Pro era is different, and we have to adjust, I think it's called progress.

My memories are becoming hazy, and a little selective, but I was proud to be a Scarlet and loved the old place.  I still prefer to stand to watch rugby, and miss the days of the enclosure in front of the stand.

roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2017 at 7:54pm
Originally posted by Dafen Boy Dafen Boy wrote:

First went to Stradey in 1962, and saw the 1963 All Blacks as my first touring team.  Was there for 9-3, and the Springboks, Wallabies and a few others, including the Barbarians game in the centenary season.

I remember after the 1973 Cup Final when we beat Cardiff handily, that was a hell of a good night in the club, when all other activity was curtailed as the players' bus was spotted near Sandy Bridge, and the real party started. Clap 

I have taken friends from South Africa and New Zealand to Stradey, and all were welcome and the place had the real rugby aura of the amateur era and centre of the community.  The Pro era is different, and we have to adjust, I think it's called progress.

My memories are becoming hazy, and a little selective, but I was proud to be a Scarlet and loved the old place.  I still prefer to stand to watch rugby, and miss the days of the enclosure in front of the stand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jY4quLU38C4 
Big smile
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Scarletstarch View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarletstarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2017 at 2:51pm
Been down to see the Memorial Stone and garden this morning and felt quite emotional remembering all the many glory days and the atmosphere that Stradey used to create! One thing stood out for me other than the memories is why are there football shaped balls there as surely would have been more appropriate if they had been rugby shaped balls?? Heart Confused
"YMA O HYD"
Steve twin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve twin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2017 at 6:01pm
Oh dear me scarletstarch how upsetting eh.
Scarletstarch View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarletstarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2017 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by Steve twin Steve twin wrote:

Oh dear me scarletstarch how upsetting eh.

Its a woman thing, beauty is in the detail and would look so much better with oval shaped balls! Wink
"YMA O HYD"
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2017 at 8:16am
It typifies the whole process for me. Very good ideas spoilt by poor execution and delivery. 

I agreed with the need to move and build the new stadium given the reassurances we were given. But even the ones they lived up to just dont quite cut it. Very half baked. 
Mundoscarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mundoscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2017 at 8:22am
Something else I would bring up. I was down home the weekend for first time in many years. Went to the ground to the shop to find its closed until May 3rd for refurb. Now it doesn't take that long to refurb somewhere, you see the likes of big companies having shops refurbed in a few days. Also driving round why aren't they making sure the outside of the ground as its a metal facia cleaned regularly and the training barn. And the red that's peeling off the front of the stand is so unprofessional. It's little things like this that make a difference to people's impression of the club as a whole
Scarlet O'Hara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarlet O'Hara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2017 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by Mundoscarlet Mundoscarlet wrote:

Something else I would bring up. I was down home the weekend for first time in many years. Went to the ground to the shop to find its closed until May 3rd for refurb. Now it doesn't take that long to refurb somewhere, you see the likes of big companies having shops refurbed in a few days. Also driving round why aren't they making sure the outside of the ground as its a metal facia cleaned regularly and the training barn. And the red that's peeling off the front of the stand is so unprofessional. It's little things like this that make a difference to people's impression of the club as a whole
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          As for the shop it's a whole re-branding. The new supplier will not have Scarlets items already in stock. I'm sure they are aware of the peeling paint, it could be down to cost or they may have a guarantee on it in which case it could be a bit of back and forth with contractor.                        
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2017 at 1:39pm

Exactly. They will be bemoaning the poor facilities soon and asking for another new build. 

When you look back at the blood sweat and tears involved in the move it really hurts to see already a lack of respect and mainenance on the new place.

Rust already sets it, the same can be said for the stradey posts on the roundabouts. 
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2017 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by Scarlet O'Hara Scarlet O'Hara wrote:

As for the shop it's a whole re-branding. The new supplier will not have Scarlets items already in stock. I'm sure they are aware of the peeling paint, it could be down to cost or they may have a guarantee on it in which case it could be a bit of back and forth with contractor.                        

Or Rupert could have spun another yarn about the concrete needing to dry.....
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2017 at 1:44pm
I though one of the purposes of having a supporters trust was to engage fans in helping maintain the stadium and facilities?

There is only so much effectiveness can be gained from very stale meet the coaches and players sessions.

Scarlet O'Hara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarlet O'Hara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2017 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by Speedy Speedy wrote:

I though one of the purposes of having a supporters trust was to engage fans in helping maintain the stadium and facilities?

There is only so much effectiveness can be gained from very stale meet the coaches and players sessions.

You know what how about going to games and going to meetings, we miss you about anyway. We are fortunate that the Scarlets are willing to meet for coaches and players evenings, not all clubs are. (I am not saying things are perfect btw). 
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2017 at 7:48pm
Originally posted by Scarlet O'Hara Scarlet O'Hara wrote:

Originally posted by Speedy Speedy wrote:

You know what how about going to games and going to meetings, we miss you about anyway. We are fortunate that the Scarlets are willing to meet for coaches and players evenings, not all clubs are. (I am not saying things are perfect btw). 

I do mean that its a bad thing having the meets, i just feel the whole purpose has gotten lost in a rut thats all.

I would have thought they would have had a far more active role in the matchday experience side of things too.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2017 at 8:41pm
Only we could conjur up a grievance around a kit launch coming in nearly a full 4 months before any year in our history.

Re-branding a store is not just painting the skirting boards and stocking up s couple of posters. We are changing our whole operation...paperwork, systems etc etc.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 12>
  Share Topic