Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stradey remembered

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 12>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2017 at 2:20pm

A fitting tribute to a fantastic stadium,where I saw 800 plus games.

Parc y Scarlets a brilliant state of the art stadium,and I have experienced atmospheres equal of anything at Stradey.

The thing we must remember the young children who enjoy the brilliant matchday experience at the Parc,be it the Barn or tag rugby,this is the only stadium they know, as the Scarlets home going forward..
Sponsored Links

Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2017 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Originally posted by Speedy Speedy wrote:

Originally posted by kcreg kcreg wrote:

Originally posted by HollowayScarlet HollowayScarlet wrote:

Stradey Park should rightful be remembered and marked. And the fact that the posts still stand at the entrance of the town I think is an incredible reference to the historic site and its importance to the town. It is great that a statue is being laid at the site. 

However, the Stradey atmosphere people talk off wasn't created by its brick and concrete, it was created by the supporters who came and the team that played.

The Scarlets is one of the only welsh rugby identities which has survived the professional era to still play at highest club level. Supporters should be grateful it has survived. Look at Paris, looks at London Welsh, looks at Dragons.

I think there is some great work going on and off the field to increase the brand reach both locally and across 'the region'. We must be proud of the past and the clubs great history as it is part of its identity, but we can not live in the past. To those abstaining Parc y Scarlets, there is still a great team achieving great thinks against great opposition in your town. 

outstanding post.ClapClapClapClap.just don't get most of this sentimental nonsence about stradey.think it's just an easy excuse not to go and watch scarlets anymore,i bet if the ones staying away from pys were offered free tickets for every home game,they'd make an effort to go then. I miss stradey,just like every other scarlets fan,i miss it,got some great memories,but hey ho,it's gone,move on.

Lets not confuse the issue here, there were people staying away from Stradey for silly reasons too, but were soon first in line for semi finals and free busses.

I understand the point you are making.

I am underwhelmed by what PYS is, compared to what was promised it would be, and the potential it had to really extract and draw upon the Stradey experience, injected into a modern arena.

We missed multiple tricks along the way, what we are left with is pretty poor tbh.
What tricks did we miss?

Well cutting proper access off to pemberton for a start, segregating the one pathway into a bustling retail park as an emergency exit only, which is not even fit for that purpose. positioning of the spectators a "safe" distance from the play.

A terrace that is poor elevation, a pa announcer who drowns out any semblance of a song starting.
a clubhouse.
i could go on and on.

I suppose i am just OCD.

Tim Opolis View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Tim Opolis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2017 at 8:11pm

Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Originally posted by kcreg kcreg wrote:

Originally posted by HollowayScarlet HollowayScarlet wrote:

Stradey Park should rightful be remembered and marked. And the fact that the posts still stand at the entrance of the town I think is an incredible reference to the historic site and its importance to the town. It is great that a statue is being laid at the site. 

However, the Stradey atmosphere people talk off wasn't created by its brick and concrete, it was created by the supporters who came and the team that played.

The Scarlets is one of the only welsh rugby identities which has survived the professional era to still play at highest club level. Supporters should be grateful it has survived. Look at Paris, looks at London Welsh, looks at Dragons.

I think there is some great work going on and off the field to increase the brand reach both locally and across 'the region'. We must be proud of the past and the clubs great history as it is part of its identity, but we can not live in the past. To those abstaining Parc y Scarlets, there is still a great team achieving great thinks against great opposition in your town. 

outstanding post.ClapClapClapClap.just don't get most of this sentimental nonsence about stradey.think it's just an easy excuse not to go and watch scarlets anymore,i bet if the ones staying away from pys were offered free tickets for every home game,they'd make an effort to go then. I miss stradey,just like every other scarlets fan,i miss it,got some great memories,but hey ho,it's gone,move on.

Lets not confuse the issue here, there were people staying away from Stradey for silly reasons too, but were soon first in line for semi finals and free busses.

I understand the point you are making.

I am underwhelmed by what PYS is, compared to what was promised it would be, and the potential it had to really extract and draw upon the Stradey experience, injected into a modern arena.

We missed multiple tricks along the way, what we are left with is pretty poor tbh.
What tricks did we miss?

Well cutting proper access off to pemberton for a start, segregating the one pathway into a bustling retail park as an emergency exit only, which is not even fit for that purpose. positioning of the spectators a "safe" distance from the play.

A terrace that is poor elevation, a pa announcer who drowns out any semblance of a song starting.
a clubhouse.
i could go on and on.

I suppose i am just OCD.

Parc Y Scarlets would benefit from you being there pal. You're a great fan, cant forget you banging the drum in Toulon having riden all the way down there on your motorbike. Hope to see you down there in the future. People like you and Llandre have an amazing influence on other fans and when you're not there you're sadly missed.
Tymor nesa Duw, plis tymor nesa.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2017 at 6:01am
That's a fact indeed.
Rob o'r Bont View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2017 at 12:11pm
Speedy mate, I think there are quite a few people who hold the same view as you.  

But if you think about it, most of the points you make would have applied had we stayed at Stradey. That is to say, a new stadium at Stradey would probably have looked exactly like the one we have at Pemberton.  The team at Stradey would be just the same team we have at Pemberton.  The crowd size at Stradey would be the same crowd size we have at Pemberton.  The match day experience at Stradey would be exactly the match day experience we have at Pemberton.

The only thing that would be different is the actual location.  In every other respect, nothing would have changed.

Edited by Rob o'r Bont - 20 March 2017 at 12:12pm
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Once a monkey View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Pull !!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote Once a monkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2017 at 1:01pm
There is a sad irony to many of the posts in this thread. If we stop and look around us, we see the Friends of Newport Rugby trying so desperately to retain some form of professional rugby entity. In the 'untapped' North of Wales they aspire for further funding and progress, whilst out east in the greater 'Ponty' metropolis, we have the great unwashed who would sacrifice their manhood for just once chance to have again what we are so fortunate to be experiencing.
And we are fortunate, however anyone dresses it up.
The truth is that the halcyon days of Stradey Park are long behind us. And as we all undoubtedly look back with great fondness at the stadium, through our Scarlet tinted spectacles, we ignore one simple truth. As alluded to earlier in this thread, it was what happened at the stadium rather than the facility itself that evokes these feelings in so many. We dominated the opposition, plain and simple, something financial resources mean we will perhaps never again do.  That is really what people miss. Being a team that were feared. Let's be honest. If we did that at PYS people would come. However, our dire European record of recent seasons has done so much to diminish us, certainly in terms of fan base, profile and sponsorship.

But it really is awful to hear guys like Speedy talk in such a way. I don't mean that as a criticism of him or others. But we never had the luxury as a fan base to lose such committed and passionate people. Those people who galvanise the rest.

Sadly, as has been pointed out, the move wasn't handled with the aplomb it deserved and as a result we have lost some good people. Add to that the apathetic in a Town suffering from increasing financial hardship and only then do you actually realise how well we have done just to run the Toulon and Sarries of this world so close this season.

What we are missing more than Stradey though, is success. But is it a chicken and egg scenario now? Will success bring crowds, or will crowds with their increased revenue, albeit limited, bring success. The former for me. Success will bring sponsorship, increased profile and crowd numbers. So let's stop looking backwards, be grateful for what we have and hope WP and the bois have some magic left in them this season.

Edited by Once a monkey - 20 March 2017 at 1:02pm
#George
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2017 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by Once a monkey Once a monkey wrote:

There is a sad irony to many of the posts in this thread. If we stop and look around us, we see the Friends of Newport Rugby trying so desperately to retain some form of professional rugby entity. In the 'untapped' North of Wales they aspire for further funding and progress, whilst out east in the greater 'Ponty' metropolis, we have the great unwashed who would sacrifice their manhood for just once chance to have again what we are so fortunate to be experiencing.
And we are fortunate, however anyone dresses it up.
The truth is that the halcyon days of Stradey Park are long behind us. And as we all undoubtedly look back with great fondness at the stadium, through our Scarlet tinted spectacles, we ignore one simple truth. As alluded to earlier in this thread, it was what happened at the stadium rather than the facility itself that evokes these feelings in so many. We dominated the opposition, plain and simple, something financial resources mean we will perhaps never again do.  That is really what people miss. Being a team that were feared. Let's be honest. If we did that at PYS people would come. However, our dire European record of recent seasons has done so much to diminish us, certainly in terms of fan base, profile and sponsorship.

But it really is awful to hear guys like Speedy talk in such a way. I don't mean that as a criticism of him or others. But we never had the luxury as a fan base to lose such committed and passionate people. Those people who galvanise the rest.

Sadly, as has been pointed out, the move wasn't handled with the aplomb it deserved and as a result we have lost some good people. Add to that the apathetic in a Town suffering from increasing financial hardship and only then do you actually realise how well we have done just to run the Toulon and Sarries of this world so close this season.

What we are missing more than Stradey though, is success. But is it a chicken and egg scenario now? Will success bring crowds, or will crowds with their increased revenue, albeit limited, bring success. The former for me. Success will bring sponsorship, increased profile and crowd numbers. So let's stop looking backwards, be grateful for what we have and hope WP and the bois have some magic left in them this season.

The apathy of Welsh people to club rugby is pretty shameful really and I don't know what the answer is, other than becoming a European force again.

Looking forward we have to hope for a TV deal that is more equitable compared to our European friends and possibly a bigger help from WRU.

Other than that the bold bit is spot on!
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
najbritcol View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote najbritcol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2017 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by Wasp Wasp wrote:

Originally posted by Once a monkey Once a monkey wrote:

The apathy of Welsh people to club rugby is pretty shameful really and I don't know what the answer is, other than becoming a European force again.

Maybe because Wales is not as much of a rugby nation as the stereotype (if it ever was) and quite a few people are even actively hostile to what they see as an anachronistic stereotype?
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2017 at 8:25pm
The young kids now coming and watching the game or taking part in games in the Barn or at halftime weren't even born or would not remember Stradey - thousands of children have been born in the Region over the last 10 years or so. They are the future who need nurturing not those of the past. We live for the future folks! Chin up.
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2017 at 10:41pm
As I've said I lived 2 mins from Stradey trained there every week played there played under the wires played cricket at the ranch even drank in the tennis club but as great as though days were they have gone but the team remains.
We are very fortunate to have a team mostly of local talent who deserve and need our support if you can follow the team to France then get across the town and follow the boys there. We can all be sentimental about the old times rugby has moved on at a great pace in the last forty years we have to move with it. We are the Scarlets have always been and always will be we are respected all over the world for what we have achieved. If people want the good times then they must get of their arses and support the team wherever we play. Revel in the culture the history,bring your memories of the great times at Stradey,the away trips and share them with the youngsters so they are in no doubt about how lucky they are that they support the best rugby team that has ever existed.
We have a great past and with loyal unwavering support we can have a great future.
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2017 at 11:07pm
Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

As I've said I lived 2 mins from Stradey trained there every week played there played under the wires played cricket at the ranch even drank in the tennis club but as great as though days were they have gone but the team remains.
We are very fortunate to have a team mostly of local talent who deserve and need our support if you can follow the team to France then get across the town and follow the boys there. We can all be sentimental about the old times rugby has moved on at a great pace in the last forty years we have to move with it. We are the Scarlets have always been and always will be we are respected all over the world for what we have achieved. If people want the good times then they must get of their arses and support the team wherever we play. Revel in the culture the history,bring your memories of the great times at Stradey,the away trips and share them with the youngsters so they are in no doubt about how lucky they are that they support the best rugby team that has ever existed.
We have a great past and with loyal unwavering support we can have a great future.
 Clap
multinational View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote multinational Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2017 at 7:59am
I can offer two perspectives here.

Being a child of Stradey the hurt of moving and memories of great days will live forever but I have accepted that change was needed and (despite it never quite feeling the same) I am a Scarlet supporter first and foremost and in all honesty I would watch them play anywhere. PYS is not Stradey, never will be, but the team I love still fights with the same passion and I am surrounded by fans who bleed scarlet - that will do for me.

My daughter has come for the last 4 years. She knows nothing of Stradey. Loves the parc, loves the barn and is a scarlet supporter for life. The music piped over the tannoy (which I hate) she loves, the barn where I can't get a pint - she loves, the whole match day experience which feels a little contrived and plastic - she loves.

I remember the day that my dad moved away from me in the terrace to sit in the stand. He explained it was a right of passage and he had done his tour of duty on the terrace and he said that one day we 'loonie binners' would be replaced by a new, louder generation too. Our facilities are there for this new generation and they love it.

HOWEVER this new generation still need us cronies to remind them of the proper way to support the team, the Welsh heritage, the song. So when I hear that people who have stood side by side with me for so many seasons and through good times AND BAD are no longer prepared to come and show them the ropes it just takes the gloss off it all a little bit more.
History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage, need not be lived again.
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2017 at 8:17am
Great post Multi
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
JPRWilliams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPRWilliams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2017 at 10:01am
Should never have moved from Stradey park. There was enough room and land around all sides of the stadium to redevelop or expand for the professional era. In my opinion the only reason we moved to PYS was because certain individuals within the club were due to make a vast amount of money from the sale of the land at stradey. There was no other reason. 
redeyes View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote redeyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2017 at 10:17am
Originally posted by JPRWilliams JPRWilliams wrote:

Should never have moved from Stradey park. There was enough room and land around all sides of the stadium to redevelop or expand for the professional era. In my opinion the only reason we moved to PYS was because certain individuals within the club were due to make a vast amount of money from the sale of the land at stradey. There was no other reason. 

Plenty of land, but unfortunately there were no money trees growing on it!
The stadium may change, but the dream will remain the same!

Mrfwon View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrfwon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2017 at 11:11am
Some great posts on this thread! ClapClapClapClapClapClap 
Scarlets!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 12>
  Share Topic