Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Talented Athlete Scholarship Scheme (TASS)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Talented Athlete Scholarship Scheme (TASS)
    Posted: 09 February 2020 at 10:46am
An interesting read on the Scarlets website featuring Dan Davis. An innovative initiative from Swansea University. Perhaps the fightback against the English has started. 
Sponsored Links

scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2020 at 10:47am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

An interesting read on the Scarlets website featuring Dan Davis. An innovative initiative from Swansea University. Perhaps the fightback against the English has started. 
Read the recent interview with Gareth Jenkins. He talks in detail about how the club competes against English clubs for young players.
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2020 at 10:56am
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Read the recent interview with Gareth Jenkins. He talks in detail about how the club competes against English clubs for young players.

Yes Steff I read your excellent article about Gareth. Identifying and securing our future talent is in safe hands. Did Gareth have anything to do with securing Costellow? 
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2020 at 11:50am
There has been a relationship between Coleg Sir Gar and Scarlets for many years which carried on with Trinity St David's in 2013.
A number of academy players have taken the opportunity with various courses.

Gareth Jenkins was involved in this, with many others.

I have mentioned a few times on various posts that we in the Scarlets are better placed than many, BUT like other Welsh regions are at a disadvantage when young players at 15 or even younger, are offered scholarships.  

A Carmarthen Athletic friend of mine mentioned a few months ago that they had 4 players from their under 16 away in England in schools, all offered and took up scholarships, but they do come home regularly and do play for their home club. 

This is an area we need to tie up, but we do not have the private sporting schools in the area, only 1, and with all due respect to Llandovery, not quite Millfield/Hartpury is it.
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2020 at 11:53am
Originally posted by Dai38 Dai38 wrote:

There has been a relationship between Coleg Sir Gar and Scarlets for many years which carried on with Trinity St David's in 2013.

I have mentioned a few times on various posts that we in the Scarlets are better placed than many, BUT like other Welsh regions are at a disadvantage when young players at 15 or even younger, are offered scholarships.  

A Carmarthen Athletic friend of mine mentioned a few months ago that they had 4 players from their under 16 away in England in schools, all offered and took up scholarships, but they do come home regularly and do play for their home club. 

This is an area we need to tie up, but we do not have the private sporting schools in the area, only 1, and with all due respect to Llandovery, not quite Millfield/Hartpury is it.

Very interesting Dai. What about Brecon? Of course Hartbury & I think Millfield offer education from 16 through to degree level which is pretty impressive. 
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2020 at 1:23pm

Originally posted by Dai38 Dai38 wrote:

Very interesting Dai. What about Brecon? Of course Hartbury & I think Millfield offer education from 16 through to degree level which is pretty impressive. 

Of course, Millfield have been at this game for a long time - they poached Gareth Edwards from Pontardawe school, though as he went on to be an absolute star for Wales, we can forgive them for their development work!

In passing, I'd be interested to know if the Scarlets have any scholars at Aberystwyth Uni, where I used to work. I've noticed that the Uni have at least an advertising link with the Scarlets nowadays... the Uni used to have a number of top class players (Carwyn James, John Dawes, Dennis Hughes for example) - my recollection is that these guys would turn out for their clubs, usually, but be retained by the Uni. team for the inter-uni championship, which was quite important and hotly contested in those days. Although that's gone by the board, it would be nice if the Uni. and Scarlets still had some links beyond just the adverts.
I share no-one's ideas. I have my own.
(Ivan Turgenev)
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2020 at 2:07pm
4 of Carmarthen U16s away in English private schools. Can the parents be had for child cruelty?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic