Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Team for Ulster

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dafen Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2017 at 3:10am
Originally posted by ap sior ap sior wrote:

Originally posted by Dafen Boy Dafen Boy wrote:

Originally posted by Micro Duck Micro Duck wrote:

Nice quotes from Foxy from today's PC:

During Scarlets training sessions in the days building up to matches, the team that acts as opposition to the side selected is affectionately known as the 'Tesco Team'.

"I wasn't even picked for the Tesco Team last week," joked Davies, who now has six Lions Test appearances to add to his 64 Wales caps.

"I didn't even make that team so I had to go and do fitness on the side with the academy boys, it was a real come down!"

Shows a good sense of humourThumbs Up

Haven't seen the interview, but seems like there's a lot of humility there too. 

Best No 13 in world rugby having to do fitness training with the academy boys !!!! 

Great role model
Sponsored Links

Tim Opolis View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim Opolis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2017 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by 157cb 157cb wrote:

Originally posted by Tim Opolis Tim Opolis wrote:

Anybody have any news on Barclay?
  Rob Ic Wales reporting Scarlets going to Ulster fully loaded,Ken and Foxy to return ,only Cubby missing so Barclay must be fit 

Cheers Pal. He's hell of a warrior.
Tymor nesa Duw, plis tymor nesa.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2017 at 1:33pm
JB is a real warrior and I cannot speak too highly of his contribution to our club.
John View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2017 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

JB is a real warrior and I cannot speak too highly of his contribution to our club.

Quite so... he is a major figure in the turning around of performance.

On another matter, how much more important are matches within your conference than games with teams from the other conference? Obviously we want to win every game we play but with Euro qualification and home draws in the play-offs both decided by conference position, if we lose to Munster and Leinster, Ulster and Edinburgh do as well, then there has been very little damage done. Lose to another top team from our conference and the damage is greater.

Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim Opolis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2017 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by John John wrote:

Quite so... he is a major figure in the turning around of performance.

On another matter, how much more important are matches within your conference than games with teams from the other conference? Obviously we want to win every game we play but with Euro qualification and home draws in the play-offs both decided by conference position, if we lose to Munster and Leinster, Ulster and Edinburgh do as well, then there has been very little damage done. Lose to another top team from our conference and the damage is greater.

True, our results against Leinster and Ulster are hugely important, but all points gained are vital at the end of the season.
Rich (Bris) View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich (Bris) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2017 at 2:20pm
They are all vital but strangely in terms of getting in the playoffs and Europe the matches with Ulster and more important than the matches against ospreys - if we lose to Ulster then not only do we get 0 points (if no bonus points) but one of our competitors in our conference gets 4 or 5 points whereas if we lose to Ospreys nobody in our conference gets any points. I doubt it will affect team selection for Ospreys but I can imagine that this aspect will influence team selection during the course of the year.
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2017 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by Rich (Bris) Rich (Bris) wrote:

They are all vital but strangely in terms of getting in the playoffs and Europe the matches with Ulster and more important than the matches against ospreys - if we lose to Ulster then not only do we get 0 points (if no bonus points) but one of our competitors in our conference gets 4 or 5 points whereas if we lose to Ospreys nobody in our conference gets any points. I doubt it will affect team selection for Ospreys but I can imagine that this aspect will influence team selection during the course of the year.

I agree to an extent, but if we go to the O's with a weakened side and lose, and Ulster and Leinster go fully loaded and get winning BP's then we will have lost ground. Depending on results and league standings, then I can see that we may adopt this attitude in the final game against NGD. However, don't forget that Leinster have already got 5pts at Rodney Parade.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich (Bris) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2017 at 3:05pm
I suppose the kind of thing I meant is, using a fictitious easy example, that if we had Ulster away one week followed by Ospreys away and there was a need to rest a couple of our big players for one of those matches then in the past we would have rested them for the Ulster match but this season the sensible thing to do in many ways would be to rest them for the Ospreys game - this won't just be affecting us of course it's something all teams will need to consider potentially.

Edited by Rich (Bris) - 13 September 2017 at 3:06pm
ScarletSpiderman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletSpiderman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2017 at 3:25pm

I suppose the kind of thing I meant is, using a fictitious easy example, that if we had Ulster away one week followed by Ospreys away and there was a need to rest a couple of our big players for one of those matches then in the past we would have rested them for the Ulster match but this season the sensible thing to do in many ways would be to rest them for the Ospreys game - this won't just be affecting us of course it's something all teams will need to consider potentially.

Best way of looking as games against teams in our conference have 7pts to play for (+4pts win, +1pt bonus point for us, and then the opposition 1pt try bonus point, and 1pt losing bonus point), where as games against he other conderence have 5pts up for grabs (win & try bp)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich (Bris) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2017 at 4:47pm
Or a win and try bonus point against a team in our conference with no bonus points for them means we are Plus 5 on them whereas if they beat us with a try bonus point and we get nothing then that is a minus 5 difference (if get my drift) so they can actually be looked at as 10 point games.
supertaf View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2017 at 5:23pm
The way the Ospreys looked against Glasgow, I think it's them that need to worry about the game more than us imho.
Scarlets - Pro 12 Champions 2017
supertaf View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2017 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by welshbenny welshbenny wrote:

My worry is Aled leaving for regular games. The situation with Webb at the O's could further complicate matters.

One of either Evans or Aled will be at the O's next year I believe. Webb will be off.
I would rather rotate for us than play for the Ospreys... LOL
supertaf View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2017 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by ScarletSpiderman ScarletSpiderman wrote:

Originally posted by TheKing TheKing wrote:

Originally posted by ScarletSpiderman ScarletSpiderman wrote:

Personally I would go for the same team that started against the Kings, but with Boyde in for Cubby.  Put Foxy and Ken on the bench, in place of Rhys Jones, and Emyr (and Mcloed on the bench cos Boyde is starting)

A good choice apart from a couple of things - Rhys Jones at the moment is our back up 10/kicker. I think Asquith has played 10 before but not for us. Don't think we'll see Foxy until Edinburgh as he had the biggest work load of our Lions. 

Parkes was our back and 10 for the semi and final last season and did surprisingly well, so he'll do.

Parkes/Asquith to cover fly half. Halfpenny/Patch to goal kick, and Scott/Parkes as emergency kickers.

Also, I even though he hasn't done anything wrong, I struggle to shake memories of Rhys Jones (and Riki Tipuna) during his last stint struggling and looking out of his depth.

Is Dan Jones injured?
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim Opolis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2017 at 5:35pm

Aye, but if we dont beat the Ospreys and Ulster do then they pick up points on us. Every game is important, I cant see selection being affected by conference splits. Champions Cup may affect selection this year though, Pivac has said as much.
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2017 at 5:53pm
Let's just beat them all. Keep it simple
Supporter of the evil region against the gallant union
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim Opolis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2017 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by Wasp Wasp wrote:

Let's just beat them all. Keep it simple

A home semi final would be fantastic.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic