Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tevita Ratuva joins french club Brive

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2021 at 7:37am
The problem,of course,is that there hasn't been a series of departure announcements by the club.Ball apart,we have found out from media sources that two  players have decided they don't want to play for the Scarlets.The club hasn't said anything.In the podcast featuring Muderak(link provided on another thread)the Chairman stated,when asked about the story in the Rugby Paper on Sunday,that he had not had any contact with JacMorgan.If nothing else,the club have not managed the news well on this occasion.
Sponsored Links

Mogwen View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mogwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2021 at 7:42am
I think this delay in announcing is a clever tactic by the scsrlets. They will announce their big signings/news a week or 2 before the season tickets for next year are released. That way all fans will get excited and will be on a high and buy a ST. By the time the ospreys and blues season tickets will go sale all the hype surrounding the lastest news with them will have settled down and nobody will be on a high.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2021 at 7:55am
Originally posted by Mogwen Mogwen wrote:

I think this delay in announcing is a clever tactic by the scsrlets. They will announce their big signings/news a week or 2 before the season tickets for next year are released. That way all fans will get excited and will be on a high and buy a ST. By the time the ospreys and blues season tickets will go sale all the hype surrounding the lastest news with them will have settled down and nobody will be on a high.
normally i'd agree about season tickets but we will all be having tickets for next year because we bought this year and given the style we are playing i can't see many newbies wanting to buy a ticket,the fans are good to the region and they know how news like this goes down with fans so how about thinking of us for a change.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2021 at 8:17am
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

A series of departure announcements in a short period of time is just that.

The other regions will be shedding players in due course, like any pro sport really.

We have perennially kept our proverbial powder dry on recruitment and retention, nothing bad comes from that approach really, other than it does heat the blood up of the support base of course.

It follows that we are sourcing 2nd rows of similar or better caliber to Tex and Ball, and hopefully one's that are not party to Team Wales or other international call ups. Tex hasn't started more than a dozen games for us yet due to international duty, Covid, and suspension, and Ball is an irregular member of the team with just 16 games in the 2019 and 2020 calendar years. With this in mind I hope we see and recognize the value addition of a guys like Kalamafoni ( and Lousi--assuming he keeps his head on).

Huge opportunity for Price, Drake and Jones in the boiler house dept too. All 3 have impressed me this season. Much as I advocate an NWQ solution, seeing these 3 develop is an exciting prospect too.

The back row is also pretty laden with burgeoning talent. Iestyn Rees seems to be highly thought of, Dan Davis is a real talent, and of course we have yet to see Carwyn Tuipulotu on the bigger stage. Tom Phillips is another that has been best with injuries but is in the squad.

Never a good time to get this sort of news but I am going to stay calm and wait to see the replacement. You are right Wil Morgan Jones, Danny Drake & Jac Price have all impressed this season and Josh Helps can do a job. For me Tex has been disappointing. Ball will be difficult to replace but his decision cannot be questioned. Onwards.
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2021 at 8:20am
Rowlands to the Dragons is not a done deal by all accounts, a few Dragons fans seem resigned to him coming to us following this development.  
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2021 at 8:33am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

The other regions will be shedding players in due course, like any pro sport really.

We have perennially kept our proverbial powder dry on recruitment and retention, nothing bad comes from that approach really, other than it does heat the blood up of the support base of course.

It follows that we are sourcing 2nd rows of similar or better caliber to Tex and Ball, and hopefully one's that are not party to Team Wales or other international call ups. Tex hasn't started more than a dozen games for us yet due to international duty, Covid, and suspension, and Ball is an irregular member of the team with just 16 games in the 2019 and 2020 calendar years. With this in mind I hope we see and recognize the value addition of a guys like Kalamafoni ( and Lousi--assuming he keeps his head on).

Huge opportunity for Price, Drake and Jones in the boiler house dept too. All 3 have impressed me this season. Much as I advocate an NWQ solution, seeing these 3 develop is an exciting prospect too.

The back row is also pretty laden with burgeoning talent. Iestyn Rees seems to be highly thought of, Dan Davis is a real talent, and of course we have yet to see Carwyn Tuipulotu on the bigger stage. Tom Phillips is another that has been best with injuries but is in the squad.

Never a good time to get this sort of news but I am going to stay calm and wait to see the replacement. You are right Wil Morgan Jones, Danny Drake & Jac Price have all impressed this season and Josh Helps can do a job. For me Tex has been disappointing. Ball will be difficult to replace but his decision cannot be questioned. Onwards.
Agree but Peers and King def not answer they are nowhere near class of ball or tex 
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2021 at 8:39am
Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Agree but Peers and King def not answer they are nowhere near class of ball or tex 

I agree. Lets just wait and see what happens. Normally we are looking at bringing in an improvement from the guy who left but if we can get a match for Ball we will be doing well. 
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2021 at 9:10am
3/4 of Jake ability and application would be good enough for me always a big miss when he doesn’t play.
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2021 at 9:14am
Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

3/4 of Jake ability and application would be good enough for me always a big miss when he doesn’t play.

And his physicality too please, there aren't many second rowers in Wales who hit a ruck, to clear out, as hard as he does!
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2021 at 9:20am
Starting to sound like a 26 year old South African monster to me. If whoever we get is as effective as Sione at his job I will be chuffed. 
turkishrebel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turkishrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2021 at 9:21am
how do you know its a 26 year old South African monster GPR? Wink
if we could get a player in the same ilk as Sione we would be very lucky
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!
thommo View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thommo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2021 at 9:33am
Of the players leaving. Jac and Tex are the two biggest losses and we can't afford to lose two young players. Brave have now signed two second rows from us having signed Snyman previously. 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2021 at 9:35am
Originally posted by turkishrebel turkishrebel wrote:

how do you know its a 26 year old South African monster GPR? Wink
if we could get a player in the same ilk as Sione we would be very lucky

Just dreaming turkishrebel. My wife has told me that she is a little concerned when I start dreaming about people like Etzebeth as opposed to BeyonceConfused
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2021 at 9:37am

This all day long, for previous years panic stations see Boyde, Baldwin, Price, Owen Williams, Jordan, Earle, Barclay (harsh but rarely played after leaving), Sanjay (replaced by 1/2p who's been great for us), Parkes (replaced by Johnny Williams), Rhodri Jones (replaced by Kruger, again great for us), Collins (replaced by Jmac), Welch (replaced by Ball) etc. etc.

Arguable even guys like North, Ben Morgan and Beirne haven't reached their expected heights (yet in Beirne's case as still early days).

Guys like Turnbull and Dan Thomas have gone on to play a lot of good rugby elsewhere, but again up for debate whether we've missed them.

We move on.

Edited by Gate12 - 14 January 2021 at 9:39am
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2021 at 9:39am
Also looking at the volume of Fijians at Brive it's not hard to see why a move there is appealing for Tex.
Mr Ian View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2021 at 9:40am
French money attract players and a team like Brive, not a team who compete for win top14, have a budget bigger then us..also I think pacific players are more confortable ti play and live in France then uk..
It s a big loss honestly, but a kind of player we can easily replace
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
  Share Topic