Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > CHAT BOARD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The nickname Turks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletabroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The nickname Turks
    Posted: 10 August 2017 at 12:24am
I am in Turkey and having a chest with a fellar from Waunarlwydd who claims to have the reason why we are called Turks. I know there was a thread a while ago and the general gist was no one really knew. So I listened to this chap and it sounded plausible. So he claims that their was a blockade of ports and a Turkish ship landed in LLanelli and the peoples of LLanelli came to the docks and unloaded it breaking the blockade and were subsequently called Turks. I am unable to google info on this due to pants WiFi no dates given n
but it sou D's good any input?
Sponsored Links

mammamammon View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mammamammon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2017 at 8:01am
Originally posted by scarletabroad scarletabroad wrote:

I am in Turkey and having a chest with a fellar from Waunarlwydd who claims to have the reason why we are called Turks. I know there was a thread a while ago and the general gist was no one really knew. So I listened to this chap and it sounded plausible. So he claims that their was a blockade of ports and a Turkish ship landed in LLanelli and the peoples of LLanelli came to the docks and unloaded it breaking the blockade and were subsequently called Turks. I am unable to google info on this due to pants WiFi no dates given n
but it sou D's good any input?

Heard similar story but with the additional detail that the Turkish sailor left the ship and settled in the area.
There are many other theories however.
mammamammon

www.hopemalawiuk.com
scarletabroad View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletabroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2017 at 5:11pm
Yes have read them not heard this one though is there a date to go with this or is it folklore?
Turkpower View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turkpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2017 at 11:44pm
True
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletabroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2017 at 12:30am
True what Turkpower very frustrating WiFi not good here window of opportunity and gin not a good mix
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2017 at 9:23am
Llanelli was a big trading port in the 1800s where Turkish sailors would trade for steel, coal, copper, tin etc. 
Many people came to Wales as it had the best supplies. A large number of Turkish sailors stayed in llanelli and married local girls. 
The leader of the Turkish revolution against the spanish was a Mr Baden Evans who came from Llanelli.
Turkpower View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turkpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2017 at 11:17am
True that their was a blockade of ports and a Turkish ship landed in LLanelli and the peoples of LLanelli came to the docks and unloaded it breaking the blockade and were subsequently called Turks.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletabroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2017 at 5:47pm
Cheers all SF members so much better than that wikipedia thing
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic