Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Other Side(s) - Rival Team News

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6869707172 121>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2019 at 9:40am
unfortunately with whats on offer over the bridge for youngsters, scholarships, etc...Wales currently have no way of matching the offers which not only will help their rugby but education as well.
the only thing we can do is keep a good relationship and hope one day they return.
Sponsored Links

Fscarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2019 at 10:28am
So with London Irish beating Bayonne, hopefully that will be Bayonnes interest in this competition over.
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2019 at 10:42am
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

So with London Irish beating Bayonne, hopefully that will be Bayonnes interest in this competition over.

9/10 pts is needed over the two ties if we are to progress. 

I think that LI and Toulon will share the points. If results go as I predict, then we could be equal on points with Toulon after R4.

Edited by ap sior - 25 November 2019 at 10:44am
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2019 at 11:04am
Originally posted by ap sior ap sior wrote:

I think that LI and Toulon will share the points. If results go as I predict, then we could be equal on points with Toulon after R4.

An therein lies the problem, we struggle to get the extra bonus point when we win matches.
Sosban bach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban bach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2019 at 11:17am

An therein lies the problem, we struggle to get the extra bonus point when we win matches.
Think it’s a bit early to call as the other double header will have an impact on what we need. Would like to think we’ll get the wins and if Bayonne have given up with this cup then we should go looking for the tbp’s
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2019 at 11:26am
Originally posted by Sosban bach Sosban bach wrote:

Think it’s a bit early to call as the other double header will have an impact on what we need. Would like to think we’ll get the wins and if Bayonne have given up with this cup then we should go looking for the tbp’s

At least we play after Toulon & London Irish in both matches.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2019 at 11:43am
Looking further ahead our fixtures are favourable in January - March. For instance the only clashing weekend with 6 nations fixtures is 22/23rd February when we have Southern Kings at home. Additionally between 17/18th January & 27/28th March we have 5 games and 5 weekends off. Plenty of opportunity for Pivac to show some consideration for the regions with for instance no Wales game when we play Edinburgh at home on 15th Feb, no Wales game when we play Munster away on 29th Feb & the 6 nations finishing on 14th March before our fixture in Connacht on 20th March.
Sosban89 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2019 at 12:54pm
I think this will be a real tight group with everyone beating everyone. Just be a bit of luck where we end up.
John View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2019 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

Can't say I'm fantastically keen on 18 year olds leaving Wales and signing contracts to join English Premiership sides. A number of Ysgol Gyfun Glantaf's most promising youngsters from last season have already disappeared over the bridge to sign for Bristol, and 10/15 Ioan Davies has already made an impact with their full side. Perhaps we Scarlets shouldn't complain as the current Glantaf 10, Josh Phillips has according to Rygbi Pawb, just signed a contract with us.
Glantaf is a major source of young Welsh backs talent and it beggars belief that the WRU cannot come up with a scheme and funds to at least keep them in Wales.

its a real dilemma Ffidel. Ioan Lloyd is the 10 I think - fantastic talent. Already started at 10 in Europe & has featured & scored off the bench in the Premiership. Until we match the Rugby/educational opportunities offered by Clifton College & Hartbury this flow will continue.

Is it such a bad thing? Now there is a good question. On the one hand we are getting Welsh talent exposed to first team experience & developed in excellent facilities. On the other hand we could lose potential players to the full England set up. If there was a way to ring fence these young guys future International aspirations then it would be a lot more palatable. 

Bringing a player through from age- grade to the first team is a cost, not least because of the success rate not being 100%. Add in the extended qualification by residency period and the Welsh 60 cap rule which puts pressure on the players to return soon after their first cap and one wonders why the English clubs continue to do it. Even when alot of Welsh boys only want to wear the red shirt. 

Josh Adams is a classic case. Worcs must think they got their moneys worth. The winners are presumably the Blues who acquire an established international and the losers in this case but not many others are us. We developed Josh through to the stage where he was about to feel his way into senior rugby when he left. 
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2019 at 1:23pm

Both defences were dreadful - we should be able to win the games against these teams.

Edited by aber-fan - 25 November 2019 at 3:49pm
I share no-one's ideas. I have my own.
(Ivan Turgenev)
Rich (Bris) View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich (Bris) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2019 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

Can't say I'm fantastically keen on 18 year olds leaving Wales and signing contracts to join English Premiership sides. A number of Ysgol Gyfun Glantaf's most promising youngsters from last season have already disappeared over the bridge to sign for Bristol, and 10/15 Ioan Davies has already made an impact with their full side. Perhaps we Scarlets shouldn't complain as the current Glantaf 10, Josh Phillips has according to Rygbi Pawb, just signed a contract with us.
Glantaf is a major source of young Welsh backs talent and it beggars belief that the WRU cannot come up with a scheme and funds to at least keep them in Wales.

its a real dilemma Ffidel. Ioan Lloyd is the 10 I think - fantastic talent. Already started at 10 in Europe & has featured & scored off the bench in the Premiership. Until we match the Rugby/educational opportunities offered by Clifton College & Hartbury this flow will continue.

Is it such a bad thing? Now there is a good question. On the one hand we are getting Welsh talent exposed to first team experience & developed in excellent facilities. On the other hand we could lose potential players to the full England set up. If there was a way to ring fence these young guys future International aspirations then it would be a lot more palatable. 

Agree. After all Gareth Edwards went to Millfield School in Somerset on a scholarship. If only World Rugby could get the eligibility stuff even better sorted then it would not be a bad thing to have some young players like Ioan Lloyd developing over the Bridge (courtesy of their money!) and then play for Wales as seniors if and when selected. Now yes on one level it would be nice if Ioan was now playing with a Welsh region but we only have 4 and so he might well get more game time at Bristol than he would over here (continuous international call-ups and injury issues aside for a moment!!).
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2019 at 3:11pm
Yes thats a fair point. Would Ioan Lloyd, Costelow, Reffell or Rees-Zammit be getting serious gametime at any of the regions. 
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2019 at 6:54am
Off topic if you like, however, it’s great news to see Craig Evans is appointed to referee Glasgow v Leinster.

Hope he enjoys the occasion and does his usual high standard job.
Any offence taken on board is only a literate/cy consequence. Every attempt at humour is just that. No personal insult intended. Standards lowered for trolls.
turkishrebel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turkishrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2019 at 1:47pm
ospreys have parted company with head coach Allen Clarke.
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2019 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by turkishrebel turkishrebel wrote:

ospreys have parted company with head coach Allen Clarke.

Damn was hoping they might keep him until the 27th Dec.
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2019 at 2:21pm
To a certain degree it was inevitable, but I do feel that it is a bad move for them.

It is never a good time to sack anyone, as any replacement is probably unemployed, or certainly under contract. Could many coaches work better under the current position in the Ospreys, not many I would have thought They have a huge injury list in line with Scarlets last season, as well as their better players not playing, and finance is limited.

I feel sorry for Allen Clarke.

This season is unlikely to get much better and it takes a few months to get teams to play the "new" way. Scarlets this season were lucky that some of the coaching team arrived early and of course Ioan and Dai Flanagan were in position, so were in contact with Brad Mooar, so the basics were in place.

Who will take over, that's the next question. 

Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6869707172 121>
  Share Topic