Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Other Side(s) - Rival Team News

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 146147148149150>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2020 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by solva solva wrote:

Excellent by Exeter and chuffed for Sam H-C.  Not wanted by us last year, a Euro winners medal this. 
I see Exeter have announced a new bond issue.  Why haven’t we done this?  
Tell you what I’d rather us retain Kieran Hardy than the Scot as Kieran would have left for sure if Clyne had been any good for us to progress his career Use a bit of objective thinking  please not knock the region 🤨  Bond issue? Exeter is a fine tourist city in an affluent area . Llanelli isn’t sadly 

Edited by reesytheexile - 17 October 2020 at 6:54pm
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook
Sponsored Links

Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2020 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

Originally posted by Jones2004 Jones2004 wrote:

Feels weird saying this for an English side but good luck to Exeter today. An amazing story of what can happen with the right off field management and an amazing coach. Hopefully we’ll see the Scarlets in a similar situation in a few seasons (although hopefully with not quite as much of a forward dominant gameplan!)
I went to a place near otterton for years(explains SA14) in devon called ladram bay(hence the username) and had a scarlets t shirt on and the owner came to speak to me,he was on the board with chiefs before they moved to sandy park he told me the dream and what they planned to achieve and by god they have done it(their coach doesn't even sound like he's been in home and away) the plan was simple and it worked,well done chiefs.
Thanks for clearing up the recent Otterton comment. Congrats to Exeter on how they’ve progressed these last 10 years. However, their rugby leaves me cold and I’d far rather Racing had won.

If your own side isn’t in the match, you’d like to see some style come out on top. Today, it didn’t. Too much recklessness amidst the search for that win.
Any offence taken on board is only a literate/cy consequence. Every attempt at humour is just that. No personal insult intended. Standards lowered for trolls.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2020 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

Excellent by Exeter and chuffed for Sam H-C.  Not wanted by us last year, a Euro winners medal this. 
Tell you what I’d rather us retain Kieran Hardy than the Scot as Kieran would have left for sure if Clyne had been any good for us to progress his career Use a bit of objective thinking  please not knock the region 🤨 
To be fair, Reesy, it is one of life’s big mysteries why Hidalgo-Clyne has only been a support act when he has the skills he does. 

Good that he’s got this medal and I hope he’s found somewhere to put in the effort and focus to get the best out of his abilities. I suspect Rob Baxter has laid things out very clearly for him.

While he was with us, he didn’t do that so hardly figured. During that time Kieran beat him in the battle for selection and profited from the game time. SHC wasn’t the only one to think about ifs and maybes as he battled to get a contract somewhere, including time at Racing.
Any offence taken on board is only a literate/cy consequence. Every attempt at humour is just that. No personal insult intended. Standards lowered for trolls.
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't blink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2020 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

Tell you what I’d rather us retain Kieran Hardy than the Scot as Kieran would have left for sure if Clyne had been any good for us to progress his career Use a bit of objective thinking  please not knock the region 🤨 
To be fair, Reesy, it is one of life’s big mysteries why Hidalgo-Clyne has only been a support act when he has the skills he does. 

Good that he’s got this medal and I hope he’s found somewhere to put in the effort and focus to get the best out of his abilities. I suspect Rob Baxter has laid things out very clearly for him.

While he was with us, he didn’t do that so hardly figured. During that time Kieran beat him in the battle for selection and profited from the game time. SHC wasn’t the only one to think about ifs and maybes as he battled to get a contract somewhere, including time at Racing.

It’s just one of those things. Players come and go. Some go onto bigger and better things and others just disappear. It’s a bit silly when people blame the coaching team. 
solva View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote solva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2020 at 7:12pm

Tell you what I’d rather us retain Kieran Hardy than the Scot as Kieran would have left for sure if Clyne had been any good for us to progress his career Use a bit of objective thinking  please not knock the region 🤨  Bond issue? Exeter is a fine tourist city in an affluent area . Llanelli isn’t sadly 
Sorry Reesy- not for a moment would I dream of ‘knocking the region.  Been through the ups and downs in the last near 50 years to refrain from that!  It was a comment on SHC to point out how things turn around and sometimes so quickly. 
The bond issue - well when they proposed the first one , Sandy Park was a shell and the Chiefs were a Championship club. They went for a reasonable target funded by the small investor and it paid off.  Now they can aim a bit higher.  Just think we could do much the same.  I’d transfer the funds for one. 
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2020 at 7:21pm

Tell you what I’d rather us retain Kieran Hardy than the Scot as Kieran would have left for sure if Clyne had been any good for us to progress his career Use a bit of objective thinking  please not criticise  the region 🤨 

Yes that’s very fair of you EO 👍 I am pleased for the player but I am also happy we have got Kieran as I do think he would not be here now if HC had been successful so mixed blessings and ultimately both have won as have the Scarlets 

Edited by reesytheexile - 17 October 2020 at 7:29pm
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2020 at 7:23pm

Feels weird saying this for an English side but good luck to Exeter today. An amazing story of what can happen with the right off field management and an amazing coach. Hopefully we’ll see the Scarlets in a similar situation in a few seasons (although hopefully with not quite as much of a forward dominant gameplan!)
I went to a place near otterton for years(explains SA14) in devon called ladram bay(hence the username) and had a scarlets t shirt on and the owner came to speak to me,he was on the board with chiefs before they moved to sandy park he told me the dream and what they planned to achieve and by god they have done it(their coach doesn't even sound like he's been in home and away) the plan was simple and it worked,well done chiefs.
Thanks for clearing up the recent Otterton comment. Congrats to Exeter on how they’ve progressed these last 10 years. However, their rugby leaves me cold and I’d far rather Racing had won.

If your own side isn’t in the match, you’d like to see some style come out on top. Today, it didn’t. Too much recklessness amidst the search for that win.
it was because we tried to play their type of rugby that we haven't had that trophy on at least one occasion.
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2020 at 8:17pm

Sorry Reesy- not for a moment would I dream of ‘knocking the region.  Been through the ups and downs in the last near 50 years to refrain from that!  It was a comment on SHC to point out how things turn around and sometimes so quickly. 
The bond issue - well when they proposed the first one , Sandy Park was a shell and the Chiefs were a Championship club. They went for a reasonable target funded by the small investor and it paid off.  Now they can aim a bit higher.  Just think we could do much the same.  I’d transfer the funds for one. 
understood and apologies for the emphasis and wording.I just think HC didn’t settle with his young family and he then didn’t perform on the pitch. Pleased he has come through it all but also pleased we have retained Hardy as I could not see him staying if HC had outperformed him . 
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2020 at 8:27pm
Well done to exeter. Racing  will be kicking themselves though. Missed opportunities and mistakes.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2020 at 8:59pm

it was because we tried to play their type of rugby that we haven't had that trophy on at least one occasion.
Amen to that.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2020 at 9:02pm

Tell you what I’d rather us retain Kieran Hardy than the Scot as Kieran would have left for sure if Clyne had been any good for us to progress his career Use a bit of objective thinking  please not criticise  the region 🤨 

Yes that’s very fair of you EO 👍 I am pleased for the player but I am also happy we have got Kieran as I do think he would not be here now if HC had been successful so mixed blessings and ultimately both have won as have the Scarlets 
Fair is neither my middle name nor hair colour, yet it’s a good objective.
Jones2004 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2020 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by dr_martinov dr_martinov wrote:

Well done to exeter. Racing  will be kicking themselves though. Missed opportunities and mistakes.
Yes, not opting for the drop goal when they were only five metres out does seem pretty arrogant to me. Not going for the posts from the Francis DKO also says a lot about the confidence they had in their kicker.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2020 at 9:44pm

Originally posted by dr_martinov dr_martinov wrote:

Yes, not opting for the drop goal when they were only five metres out does seem pretty arrogant to me. Not going for the posts from the Francis DKO also says a lot about the confidence they had in their kicker.
Mmm, I read it that they wanted a 7 pointer as they’d be giving Exeter the ball for most of the rest of the match.

Machenaud missed nothing off the tee, iirc. Ironically, if they’d started with him, I think they’d have won.

In the past, I thought Iribaren was great and didn’t get enough pitch time and that Machenaud was too conservative. Today, sadly, Iribaren helped Exeter with their first two tries before he started playing.

Whether it was the pink bow ties, or not, Iribaren‘s thinking was way off beam.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2020 at 8:20am
Yes Irabaren & Russell cost Racing the game. Think Russell played himself out of Lions contention with that performance. It is all well & good a 10 being capable of magical moments but there is a fine line between expansive and downright dull. I agree with you EO that they would probably have won if Machenaud had started. 

Exeter's efficiency with the pick and go is not a thing of beauty in my eyes but boy I wouldn't mind if we could be half that efficient at times. One very interesting thing for me was the ability of the Racing front row effecting turnovers - not something our boys seem too good at. They are, after all, the perfect shape to get over the ball & present a strong position. Wyn Jones is probably our best exponent.
Mr Ian View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2020 at 8:31am
Really happy for Exeter win, only 10 years ago they were celebrating the promotion in premiership...
the difference in the game was the attitude how playing the game, Racing seemed in a pre season test, with easy plays from Russell...at the same time Racing showed really easy way to do tries...
Exeter was more solid, phisically and mentally, also a great flyhalf like Simmonds, he remembers me an old style flyhalf, more mature for his age...
Long series of multi phases play, excellent defences, no fouls, a really exciting game..
Last words for Baxter, my favourite coach, capable of a great work, he closed his circle, now hope him can approach a national team...I would like see him in Wales as DoR..
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2020 at 8:36am
Originally posted by Mr Ian Mr Ian wrote:

Really happy for Exeter win, only 10 years ago they were celebrating the promotion in premiership...
the difference in the game was the attitude how playing the game, Racing seemed in a pre season test, with easy plays from Russell...at the same time Racing showed really easy way to do tries...
Exeter was more solid, phisically and mentally, also a great flyhalf like Simmonds, he remembers me an old style flyhalf, more mature for his age...
Long series of multi phases play, excellent defences, no fouls, a really exciting game..
Last words for Baxter, my favourite coach, capable of a great work, he closed his circle, now hope him can approach a national team...I would like see him in Wales as DoR..

Baxter is a one club man who I don't think would be tempted by International coaching opportunities. By this time next year if Wales' win % doesn't improve quite drastically I see Pat Lam being given the Welsh coaching role. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 146147148149150>
  Share Topic