Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Thomas Young

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raised By Peregos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2019 at 1:15pm
It is a fair and reasonable point... as is mine which, to reiterate, is based on the fact that there are precious few exceptional players available, particularly back row and particularly ones who are similar to an ex-player who was very influential to us and our style of play. 

I agree that we need some variety in the squad, and back the calls for Josh to develop as a ball-carrying number 8 and hope for the swift development of Carwyn, but I don't fully agree with the idea of a big-money signing of a big bruiser at 8 as our first choice. IMHO this does not fit with the style of play and patterns of the last two, successful seasons. And if the argument is, we lost to Leinster then yes, we lost to Leinster, arguably one of the best club sides in the world currently, but if we're talking about value and spending money in the right places... buying a player to beat one team? What if we never get into the final again because our new 8 can bust tackles but can't compete at the breakdown or have the deft hands to free our backs? If he was the last piece of the jigsaw then fair enough, but he feels like he might be a corner piece of a new jigsaw. Maybe Mooar will see it this way?

I know a team isn't about one player... another reason why someone with the versatility of Young is useful. Personally I see him as a 6 or 8 for us depending on opposition. He would, at the very least, but next in line for any of the back row positions after our first choice. 
Sponsored Links

EJPT View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2019 at 1:20pm
We have plenty of back row players, they are just all broken. Don’t see it happening unfortunately.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2019 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by Raised By Peregos Raised By Peregos wrote:

It is a fair and reasonable point... as is mine which, to reiterate, is based on the fact that there are precious few exceptional players available, particularly back row and particularly ones who are similar to an ex-player who was very influential to us and our style of play. 

I agree that we need some variety in the squad, and back the calls for Josh to develop as a ball-carrying number 8 and hope for the swift development of Carwyn, but I don't fully agree with the idea of a big-money signing of a big bruiser at 8 as our first choice. IMHO this does not fit with the style of play and patterns of the last two, successful seasons. And if the argument is, we lost to Leinster then yes, we lost to Leinster, arguably one of the best club sides in the world currently, but if we're talking about value and spending money in the right places... buying a player to beat one team? What if we never get into the final again because our new 8 can bust tackles but can't compete at the breakdown or have the deft hands to free our backs? If he was the last piece of the jigsaw then fair enough, but he feels like he might be a corner piece of a new jigsaw. Maybe Mooar will see it this way?

I know a team isn't about one player... another reason why someone with the versatility of Young is useful. Personally I see him as a 6 or 8 for us depending on opposition. He would, at the very least, but next in line for any of the back row positions after our first choice. 

You make fair points many of which I agree with. Replacing Barclay is not really what I see as the most important point. He played at 8 because there was no-one else. Lets face it our most important signings are in the 2nd row. We, by Pivac's own admission are underpowered. With a back row of Shingler, Blade & Cubby we would thrive with a powerful front 5. A strong carrying 8 would allow us to compete in the carrying stakes with not only Leinster but many other power houses in Europe - Munster, Saracens and Racing to name 3. Our stated aims as a club are to be the first Welsh team to win the Champions Cup. Those mentioned 3 signings in the back 5 would, in my opinion, get us closer to that aim than we are now. 
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2019 at 1:44pm
GPR is right that the second row is the area most in need of strengthening.

The back row situation ATM is dire, not because we lack the players, but because that area has been exceptionally unlucky with injuries - a bit like the TH situation when Gardiner made his early appearances in the European tournament!
I share no-one's ideas. I have my own.
(Ivan Turgenev)
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2019 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by ap sior ap sior wrote:

Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Not sure what the 8 logic is, but to be competitive at the highest level we need 2 absolutely top notch 7’s, such is the attrition level.

With Barclay and Cubby we had that, and we were blessed with the problem of having both available at times...but more often than not one or the other would be injured..Boyde became a more than handy cover.

Cubby has played 3 full games this season and is injured, he played less than half our games last season..it’s a hugely physically demanding shirt to play in...and although we think of Cubby as a young lad, he’s 29 this year, and it’s unlikely he can continue to take the strain of being first choice 7 whenever he is available...a shirt rotation, at an equal std, is desirable.

The big takeaway from this season has to be back 5 forward depth, back row in particular.

Not a lot in it, but Thomas will be 27 by the end of the season. Only 2 years younger than Cubby, but appears to be less injury prone. Would be a very good signing. He wasn't getting game time whilst at Cardiff, and at the time we were playing McCusker as we didn't have an out and out 7. Couldn't understand why didn't sign him all those years ago. 

cubby 7 (player in his prime) boyde (player approaching his prime) young dan (player making his wa) is pretty much where we need to be at 7 imo especially with our budget

what is killing us is no 8 so that we are having to play boyde there and ruining his development or even worse sticking a hooker there

8 is the key position for us but we have signed a bok test 8 and a kiwi super 15 player who can cover there so it's not as if we have ignored it, it's just injuries have hampered us

lock is a position we need to develop but again we have already signed 2 nwq players and have a welsh cap there so again it's not like we are playing kids there

I'd certainly take a punt on charteris for a season or two he would be v good, even young thornton at the ashtrays could be an option as he seems out of favour there

there are only so many nwq slots we have , that is why I have no idea why we signed SHC we have two better welsh 9's than him imo without young hardy who is pushing him hard
Realwest View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Realwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2019 at 3:42pm
With respect to the Second Row isnt Thornton now with the Cardiff Blues or is that just as a loan.

Lets play the Ospreys game and offer Beard £50,000 over what the Ospreys offer him 
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2019 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by Realwest Realwest wrote:

With respect to the Second Row isnt Thornton now with the Cardiff Blues or is that just as a loan.

Lets play the Ospreys game and offer Beard £50,000 over what the Ospreys offer him 

Yes he is, but not getting much game time from what I see.
SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2019 at 3:50pm
Thornton isn't great, and definitely isn't the kind of player we need. 
I'd pick Tom Price over him, especially considering he's likely on a far smaller wage. When we were linked with Seb Davies, that would have been an unbelievable signing.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2019 at 4:14pm
There will be some decent Welsh talent about and out of contract this season ( as some regions, and some Prem teams may to have to cut their cloth according to their revised budget).

We have shopped well in that market recently, with the likes of Prydie, John Evs, Phil Price, Marc Jones, Hardy, and O’ Brien coming in, some being great additions and super value there ,some others yet to have their chance or been unfortunate with injury.

I would just like to see us invest a little more game time in emerging academy talent first , but you all know I always bang that drum ( and I’m currently smugly championing the likes of Dan Davies and Josh Helps to back my case up 😎)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic