Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

#TNEWSDAY - Ioan & now Stevo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobbySosban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: #TNEWSDAY - Ioan & now Stevo
    Posted: 28 February 2017 at 2:28pm
This week's #TNEWSDAY news is about the extension of Set Piece coach Ioan Cunningham'd contract "for the next few years."

The press release heaps praise on the results Cunningham's coaching of the set piece has had this season:

"The region's pack ... has quickly become one of the most potent currently operating as the second best line-out in the Guinness PRO12 championship (92% success rate), consistently one of the top four scrums and has a solid line-out defence to boot.

Scarlets' historic victory over Munster Rugby on Friday night, a first at Thomond Park since 2003, saw the region successfully defend fourteen of Munster's driving line-outs without conceding a try.

34-year-old Cunningham has also masterminded the region's set piece play seeing the fruits of his labour over the last few years come to fruition in recent times with five driving line-outs scored so far this season."

Good #Tnews. Clap

Edited by NobbySosban - 02 March 2017 at 12:24pm
Sponsored Links

reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2017 at 3:07pm
Proven to be a decent and no doubt cost effective coaching appointment - nice guy as well who seems to have good future ahead of him.
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook
turkishrebel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turkishrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2017 at 3:20pm
very good news, doing a very good with the forwards and he has a good future ahead of him. would hope we can announce a couple of signings in the future too.
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!
SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2017 at 3:34pm
Hold my hands up and say I was one of the ones who gave him stick at the start but our set piece has become very effective this year. Not yet a platform to win penalties from (or consistently score tries) but the couple of driving line out tries we have scored as well as the penalty try recently shows it's coming.
InTheBath View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote InTheBath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2017 at 3:39pm
At the beginning of the season I was very critical - a number of areas under his control were sub par and were costing us matches and I didn't think I'd seen much improvement in these areas in 18 months.

Fast forward another 6 and I am pleased that a lot seems to have been addressed. Our lineout is better (well done Ryan, Ken and Shings too!), our maul defence is on a different planet, the scrum has solidified and our breakdown work is going from strength to strength.

While there are plenty of things to work on, some of which are difficult without the right personell, we're moving in the right direction at last so well done to Ioan and I hope this continues.
Once a monkey View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Pull !!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Once a monkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2017 at 3:46pm
Can only echo the sentiments of the two posters above. Credit where it is due
#George
M.M. View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M.M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2017 at 4:02pm
Same for me too. 

Da iawn, Ioan.
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2017 at 4:05pm
if there was stats for finding and developing forwards we would be at top the strides our forwards have made this year has been nothing short of remarkable. Wyn Jones Boyde Elias Price Beirne have all looked comfortable playing at European level whilst Shingler Cubby and Barclay have been immense.
I can't think of one forward who gas gone backwards or not improved this season apart from Samson but we all know that us down to injury.
Well done Ioan great to see that the Scarlets stuck with coaching team who are taking the region to new heights.
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
knutsfordlion View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knutsfordlion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2017 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by Once a monkey Once a monkey wrote:

Can only echo the sentiments of the two posters above. Credit where it is due
I was critical but he has really come up trumps.ClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClap
Page the oracle
Micro Duck View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Micro Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2017 at 4:21pm
Yep, they stuck at it following a ropey start and have been very consistent since.
*NEW* KIDS HALFPENNY T SHIRTS
ON SALE NOW

http://llanellitee.spreadshirt.co.uk
Sandman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2017 at 4:25pm
As many have posted above, I doubted Ioan's ability. However, as mentioned in the original post, the stats speak for themselves. Sometimes I think we don't give enough credit to our pack, in all areas, when it's deserved. Right now, the credit is thoroughly deserved. Long may it continue and improve.
Only one team plays in red. (Sorry, Scarlet)
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2017 at 4:32pm
It is wonderful that those who criticised Ioan at the start have now put their hands up and said they were wrong, I must admit its refreshing, as this does not happen often.

I am worried that other rich clubs are looking in and wondering, we have 4 good coaches, and not one are on huge salaries.

Lets hope we can keep them for a few more seasons.

Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2017 at 4:42pm
It really couldn't happen to a nicer bloke. He's always friendly and accessible and more than that he's a local Welsh speaker who went through the Scarlets system and was a promising back row player until a serious injury put a premature end to his career.  My only initial reticence was regarding his age and whether he would  be able to make an impression on some of our older forwards who had achieved more than he had. As it has turned out I can't think of any big-heads in the present squad and everybody seems to be playing for each-other, the squad and the coaches. Long may it continue. I'm sure Ioan has made a big contribution to that achievement.
crj89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crj89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2017 at 5:34pm
Being from Garnant, we all expected big things from Ioan growing up, unfortunately his playing career didn't hit the heights, so I'm really pleased that his coaching career is progressing nicely, he's always been a hard worker, and has one of them personalities that make you stand up and listen, he's very imposing and has the qualities you'd want from a coach.
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2017 at 6:55pm
The piece on the club website is really well put together and written with great feeling.

This thread is continuing in exactly the same vein.

Chapeaux 🎩 🎩
Any offence taken on board is only a literate/cy consequence. Every attempt at humour is just that. No personal insult intended. Standards lowered for trolls.
Sosban bach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban bach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2017 at 11:14am
Brilliant news and has made massive progress this season. Defending 14 line out driving mauls v Munster and not conceding is a great stat!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic