Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

#Tnewsday Signings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 170171172173>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raised By Peregos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2020 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

With 4 fly halfs 1 is going to get next to zero game time same as lamb has done this year and that 1 will leave at the end of the season. 
I stand by that  

People keep saying there is enough game time etc for all 4 so how many games has lamb played this year?   A question all the "there is enough rugby for all 4 seem unwilling to answer"

I'm surprised how many posters on here think good players will be happy to be 4th choice and play 2/3 games a year  when they can move literally up the road for the same pay and be first/second choice

Given the salary bands in place the pay will be exactly the same as well

To be fair, my point was simply I'm happy for Dan to leave... I don't think he fits our best style of play.

I think we can conclude though that 4 flyhalves ARE needed but ideally the 4th is a real veteran or a real youngster due to their diminished game time. 

I agree with another poster who said that ultimately if you want the most game time, train well and play well. Just because we perceive all four as being better than options at other reasons (which is somewhat one-eyed on our part) and because we think that they all deserve game time doesn't mean they are and they do. This is professional sport and if Costelow comes in and plays well and any of the others don't, then they don't deserve to play just because they've been here for a number of years and played previously. 
Sponsored Links

aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2020 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

Originally posted by Realwest Realwest wrote:

Lets face it signing Costelow permanently is better than getting Tompkins for 1 season

Cracking signing lets hope he gets some good gametime 
Stepping up will be a big challenge. He is a small guy and facing the big hits he will get from the opponent team , especially the big monsters and tackling them will be vital as Jordan found out . Having said that he looks a very aggressive tackler at his level so hope it continues in the senior league 
when you have the mentality to defend, you should be fine IMO to make the transition.

Whilst he is small, he is the same size as Richie Moounga. Costellow has some more growing to do as well. 

He's a talent, and I am sure he will be an asset who can flourish in our back line. Dan Jones not the best defender, he has now been moved out of the defensive line in line outs etc it seems so can not be targeted - he's around 6" at the end of the day...just because he may lack height, that doesn't make him a weak defender.

Yes, but how tall is he? I think we should be told...

In other news, I'm delighted Costellow is now confirmed - he looks a great prospect... only his size may be an issue. Time will tell.

As for the 4 fly-half debate - seems to me, with injuries and Wales call-ups, we'll need 4, most likely.
I share no-one's ideas. I have my own.
(Ivan Turgenev)
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2020 at 2:10pm
Unfortunately Dan lacks pace and he rarely shows that he can beat a man with a step or swerve. One would hope that he could make up for his attacking deficiencies with astute placement of his kicks making opportunities for others. This does happen, but only occasionally and even his line kicking hasn't been totally reliable of late. If he is happy to accept that he will only play when 2 of the other 3 are not available, then as he is not out of contract, there is no reason for us to be unhappy with also having him in the squad. We should also be aware that earlier in the season we signed the Glantaf U18 outside half Josh Phillips. He looked a v. good player when with Glantaf, but on the one occasion I have seen him with the Scarlets U18 he was unimpressive, probably something to do with the fact that the opposing Blues U18 pack totally dominated and he had very little decent ball. This is a lesson that I hope the full Scarlets squad don't lose sight of by only concentrating on signing quality backs.   
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2020 at 5:59pm

Originally posted by cymraes cymraes wrote:

Are Patch, Dan or Angus out of contract end of this season?
Angus and patch 
I may have dreamt this, however, I thought Angus had renewed and it had been announced a couple of months ago.
Any offence taken on board is only a literate/cy consequence. Every attempt at humour is just that. No personal insult intended. Standards lowered for trolls.
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2020 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

Angus and patch 
I may have dreamt this, however, I thought Angus had renewed and it had been announced a couple of months ago.
pretty sure your right.
30th june 1986- 30th june 2011.25 years roofing,i wouldn't call that dodgy.
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2020 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

Angus and patch 
Hasn’t been made official
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2020 at 6:05pm

According to Jon Daniels all four 10s will be at the Scarlets next season .
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2020 at 7:49pm

Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Originally posted by Rochester100 Rochester100 wrote:

4 quality players in 1 position doesn’t work 

Patchell
Dinky 
Aob
Sam
Why doesn’t it work?
why do you think? Is a player going to be happy being 4th choice if he thinks he is good enough to start or be starting somewhere else. Good players wAnt to play it’s really not hard to work that one out
There’s plenty of rugby for the four of them. It’s pretty standard 
what other region has 4 quality fly halfs if it is standard then? I”ll tell you none of them. I dont think even sarries or leinster do. I agree with you Sam will move up the order and one of the others will leAve imo like aled and kirby did etc
Any region who loses their OH for 40% of the season needs at least 2 backups. 
We’ve regularly been down to one fir 10.
4 is not excessive if one is in the Welsh squad 
We're still still here!
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2020 at 8:10pm
Angus has been good value this season in my view. Dan is well worth retaining.

Rochester100 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rochester100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2020 at 8:32pm
AOB, Patchell contracts up , who’s going 
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2020 at 8:36pm

Nobody is going
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2020 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Angus has been good value this season in my view. Dan is well worth retaining.

Please see above, fortunately.
Any offence taken on board is only a literate/cy consequence. Every attempt at humour is just that. No personal insult intended. Standards lowered for trolls.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2020 at 9:44pm

Nobody is going
not for 12 months
coldith View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coldith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2020 at 10:19pm
Dan only signed a new contract for a year, last year.
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2020 at 7:00pm
Originally posted by coldith coldith wrote:

Dan only signed a new contract for a year, last year.
2 years I thought.

We're still still here!
Legendinmybathroom View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2020 at 12:23pm
WOL are running a story about Owen Williams (who is out of contract at Gloucester at the end of the season), staying that the Ospreys are chasing him and that the Dragons are also interested.  They are stating that he may be made part of the elite 38 so 80% of his wages would be covered by the WRU.
What do people on here think about the possibility of the Scarlets enquiring about him, with Foxy spending more and more time out injured, HP being flogged and with us missing out on Tompkins?
I think he could do a job for us.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 170171172173>
  Share Topic