Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

#Tnewsday Signings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 40414243>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2018 at 9:43am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

15. Clayton 14. Jonny 13. Fonotia 12. Steff Hughes 11. Asquith 10. Dan 9. Jonathan

the above is already mentioned above, a backline that aint half bad. but what strikes me more at this stage is the backline beneath that again:

15. Tomi Lewis
14. Tom Williams
13. Cory Baldwin
12. Paul Asquith
11. Ioan Nicholas
10. Angus OBrien
9. Declan Smith / Kieran Hardy

and we still have Tomi Rogers, Ryan Conbeer coming through. Any inside centres coming through likely to be able to step up next season or two? Scott Lloyd?

From all reports I have read this lad Knott from the 18's is going to be some 12 in the future. Be about ready when Hadleigh decides to hang up his boots. 
good to know. look forward to seeing him play. Likely to be in contention to be centre for u23s then in a years time?

Very much so - his colleague playing at 13 Roberts - Joe I think is also pretty tasty as well.

Thumbs Up
Sponsored Links

scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2018 at 9:49am

15. Clayton 14. Jonny 13. Fonotia 12. Steff Hughes 11. Asquith 10. Dan 9. Jonathan

the above is already mentioned above, a backline that aint half bad. but what strikes me more at this stage is the backline beneath that again:

15. Tomi Lewis
14. Tom Williams
13. Cory Baldwin
12. Paul Asquith
11. Ioan Nicholas
10. Angus OBrien
9. Declan Smith / Kieran Hardy

and we still have Tomi Rogers, Ryan Conbeer coming through. Any inside centres coming through likely to be able to step up next season or two? Scott Lloyd?

From all reports I have read this lad Knott from the 18's is going to be some 12 in the future. Be about ready when Hadleigh decides to hang up his boots. 
I covered all the recent Wales U18 fixtures and he was by far their best player
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2018 at 9:53am
With so many players coming through, and with current players it will be almost impossible to keep all of them, and some will go, like Josh etc.

Coaching staff's job is to release those who do not quite fit the bill!!!!
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2018 at 9:54am
Originally posted by turkishrebel turkishrebel wrote:

great to hear we have such good prospects coming through. cant wait to see the under 23 side. will be great to see the young up and coming players coming through.
there is so much talent in wales, hopefully it can be funnelled in the right direction

Yes that is so true. Huge talent which needs to be nurtured. What really excites me is how naturally attacking some of these young lads are. Look at Conbeer - he is probably one of the most talented attacking players of his age. He is a natural try scorer in the mould of Ieuan & Shane.

Of course he can improve defensively both in positioning & technique but that can be taught - what cannot be taught is that ability to finish which comes naturally to some. Young Knott seems to have that extra time on the ball which Gavin had. 

On a purely selfish note I think Pivac & Stevo have realised that we have an abundance of talent coming through behind the scrum. Players like Clayton, Jonny & Fonotia are passing on good professional attitudes to help bring these players into the 1st 23. 
SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2018 at 10:02am
On other sites I've seen 'Academy Watch' threads, where there's a list of academy players and where they're playing, how well they play etc. Could be worth a go on here.
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2018 at 10:43am
Even younger than Knott and Roberts is winger Alex Varney who was amazing in a televised Rygbi Pawb U18 televised match.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2018 at 11:09am
Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

Even younger than Knott and Roberts is winger Alex Varney who was amazing in a televised Rygbi Pawb U18 televised match.

Yes Ffidel young Varney looks like another natural try scorer. Was he involved in the under 18's Welsh team in their recent Internationals?
Mugwuffin View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mugwuffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2018 at 11:52am

Yes Ffidel young Varney looks like another natural try scorer. Was he involved in the under 18's Welsh team in their recent Internationals?

No, he wasn’t, which was very surprising as he looked like the most dangerous attacker in the Scarlets U18s team in the match highlights I saw.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2018 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by Mugwuffin Mugwuffin wrote:

No, he wasn’t, which was very surprising as he looked like the most dangerous attacker in the Scarlets U18s team in the match highlights I saw.
Wales u18s selection is a disgrace. It's disproportionately skewed to the East, even in years like this when the Scarlets have been by far and away the best team.
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2018 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by SospanMawr SospanMawr wrote:

Wales u18s selection is a disgrace. It's disproportionately skewed to the East, even in years like this when the Scarlets have been by far and away the best team.

There were also far more "Exiles" than usual including Carwyn Tuipoloto (excuse my spelling) who is coming back to join us next season. In the game v Ireland U18, that I watched at the Arms Park, he didn't actually come on from the bench, but a busload of Tongan supporters/family had come up to watch him. Carwyn is 6ft 2ins and 18st with no visible bola on him.  Not bad at 17 years of age. He'll be a big boy when he grows up !!!
As for the game, it wasn't of a particularly high standard, and of the 4/5 Exiles on show the best was a big prop who scrummaged and carried well. MOM was the Glantaf  second row.
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2018 at 1:07pm
2nd row was Owain Williams ex Bridgend player who is now quite ill.
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2018 at 1:11pm

There were also far more "Exiles" than usual including Carwyn Tuipoloto (excuse my spelling) who is coming back to join us next season. In the game v Ireland U18, that I watched at the Arms Park, he didn't actually come on from the bench, but a busload of Tongan supporters/family had come up to watch him. Carwyn is 6ft 2ins and 18st with no visible bola on him.  Not bad at 17 years of age. He'll be a big boy when he grows up !!!
As for the game, it wasn't of a particularly high standard, and of the 4/5 Exiles on show the best was a big prop who scrummaged and carried well. MOM was the Glantaf  second row.

I wonder if we are going to have another Billy Vunipola on our hands Ffidel. We can but dream. If we do lets hope we can keep him ftiter than Billy.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2018 at 1:13pm

I wonder if we are going to have another Billy Vunipola on our hands Ffidel. We can but dream. If we do lets hope we can keep him ftiter than Billy.

Bloody hell. He’s a kid. Give him a chance to play the game he loves for a few years before we start comparing him or putting expectations on him please.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2018 at 1:17pm

Bloody hell. He’s a kid. Give him a chance to play the game he loves for a few years before we start comparing him or putting expectations on him please.

You need to lighten up pal - read my post - we can but dream tends to give a clue!!!!!
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2018 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by Dai38 Dai38 wrote:

2nd row was Owain Williams ex Bridgend player who is now quite ill.

He his son of Owain ex Bridgend and Cardiff and nephew of Gareth ex Bridgend who his very ill and bed bound .
NobbySosban View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobbySosban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2018 at 2:15pm
#Tnewsday contract news this season so far:
01/05 - Sam Hidalgo-Clyne (from Edinburgh
01/05 - Kieran Hardy (from Jersey
10/04 - Clayton Blommetjies (from Cheetahs, 
03/04 - Phil Price (permanent contract, 2018-19 and beyond
27/03 - Hadleigh Parkes (extension for "a few more years"
20/03 - Uzair Cassiem (from Cheetahs, for 208-19 'and beyond'
06/03 - Tom Varndell (from Bristol, short-term contract to end of season
27/02 - Blade Thomson (from Hurricanes, 2018-19 only?
13/02 - Jonathan Davies (NDC extension,
13/02 - Jake Ball (NDC extension,
13/02 - Gareth Davies (NDC,
09/01 - Jonathan Evans (extension, 
30/12 - Lewis Rawlins (extension, "next few years"
19/12 - Ryan Elias (extension, unspecified
12/12 - Aaron Shingler (extension, 
05/12 - Rhys Patchell (extension, 
30/11 - Herschel Jantjes (temporary contract, 1 game in SA
30/11 - James Davies (extension
29/11 - Kieron Fonotia (signing from next season
28/11 - Dylan Evans (extension
21/11 - Wyn Jones (extension, "few years"
21/11 - Mike Phillips (short-term contract for 2 games in SA
21/11 - Stevo & Byron (coaching contract extensions
17/11 - Steve Cummins (from Melbourne Rebels post SuperRugby season)
26/10 - Wayne Pivac (extension
03/08 - Leigh Halfpenny (signed, 
Twitterer @ebenezer68
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 40414243>
  Share Topic