Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

#Tnewsday Signings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 171172173
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2020 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by Legendinmybathroom Legendinmybathroom wrote:

WOL are running a story about Owen Williams (who is out of contract at Gloucester at the end of the season), staying that the Ospreys are chasing him and that the Dragons are also interested.  They are stating that he may be made part of the elite 38 so 80% of his wages would be covered by the WRU.
What do people on here think about the possibility of the Scarlets enquiring about him, with Foxy spending more and more time out injured, HP being flogged and with us missing out on Tompkins?
I think he could do a job for us.

A 29 year old with 4 caps is part of the "Elite 38" ? That would surprise me.

I personally think we need more non Wales players now. We have enough of them, and we see how much they play for us.
Sponsored Links

scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2020 at 12:45pm

WOL are running a story about Owen Williams (who is out of contract at Gloucester at the end of the season), staying that the Ospreys are chasing him and that the Dragons are also interested.  They are stating that he may be made part of the elite 38 so 80% of his wages would be covered by the WRU.
What do people on here think about the possibility of the Scarlets enquiring about him, with Foxy spending more and more time out injured, HP being flogged and with us missing out on Tompkins?
That was in the Rugby Paper two weeks ago
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2020 at 12:48pm

Owen Williams a top guy and good rugby player, but gone from one injury to another ,so no thanks from me .
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2020 at 2:07pm
owen is a good player and can cover 10 and 12 but we don't need a 10 and if we get a centre we need one to be here when foxy and parkes are with wales and realistically we need a bigger more powerful player than owen

so as good as he is , he doesn't fit our needs
thommo View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thommo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2020 at 2:44pm
Has Tompkins been confirmed as signing for blues yet, or just the usual WOL misinformation? 
Havard Fan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Havard Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2020 at 3:29pm
From a backs perspective, if Owen was an option for us, then we would be silly not to look at it. Especially if he's in the WRU 80% payment category.

But as a few have already mentioned, there are negatives if all of your first team standard players are all Welsh. We are finding it tough the last couple of seasons without the likes of Parkes in midfield, Beirne upfront and Barclay on fallow weeks. This year we have also lost Johnny Mac as well. As good as it is that we have so many players playing for Wales, I feel we need better quality back ups.

I think we are more than covered at 10. We are crying out for a centre / wing in the Parkes mold. A big carrying player that is fast and available all season. Ideally with previous captaincy or leadership qualities to help with the younger team during international periods.

Apart from that, as already mentioned, we need another tight head and some serious discussions need to be had with Blade and his representatives. 
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2020 at 3:40pm
Recruitment I feel will be a major issue for many clubs at the moment, due to the virus.

The balance we have in the Scarlets is just about ok, between Welsh Internationals & Non Welsh Internationals.

I feel if a top class Welsh International was available then we must consider him (in the position required) I feel Owen is not that person sorry, he is certainly not established, and if Foxy comes back next season (if there is one) and plays well then Williams will be back fighting for 4th choice centre with Wales. 

He will still be called up partly due to his versatility and we'll not get the real benefit out of him.

Success brings its down side as well, we need to be careful on who comes, and I do feel that the scouting process works well at the moment and we do have the right people in charge, I'm glad I'm not one of them it's a heck of a job.......keeping the supporters happy is one just one of the issues.
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
Legendinmybathroom View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2020 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

That was in the Rugby Paper two weeks ago
Typical lazy journalism by the WOL again then.
supertaf View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2020 at 4:15pm
It would be handy if the club had some good news about signings and new contracts now to raise spirits a bit. As someone said on line, while its understandable that sport has taken the hit, it shouldnt be underestimated the role sport has in society. 
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872
shocker View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2020 at 7:18am
With  him only having a year  contract in nz, would having Michael Collins returning be wanted. A player who loves the club and can cover fb and centre
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2020 at 9:51am
Originally posted by shocker shocker wrote:

With  him only having a year  contract in nz, would having Michael Collins returning be wanted. A player who loves the club and can cover fb and centre

He says that but isn’t exactly rushing back . Sounds pretty unlikely to me but never say never!
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 171172173
  Share Topic