Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tom James is being treated for depression

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tom James is being treated for depression
    Posted: 31 January 2018 at 2:22pm
Cardiff Blues wing Tom James is being treated for depression.

A statement by the Welsh region said the 30-year-old Wales international is making good progress with support from the Blues' medical team.

James has not played since New Year's Eve and is currently not being considered for selection.

"His playing colleagues are in regular contact. The directors and management are fully behind Tom and look forward to his return," said the Blues.

As someone who has struggled with this in the past, I admire his admission & hope that he makes a recovery & he is back on the pitch soon.

Sponsored Links

GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2018 at 3:06pm
Wish him the very best. 
turkishrebel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote turkishrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2018 at 3:09pm
with him the best, its a horrible horrible illness that is so difficult to notice and manage.
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2018 at 3:57pm
In the 'old ' days the answer was 'get a grip son and get on with it' sort of thing  but now thankfully its fully accepted as an illness which needs treatment. Far more common than we think. Brave  to come out with it publically
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2018 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

In the 'old ' days the answer was 'get a grip son and get on with it' sort of thing  but now thankfully its fully accepted as an illness which needs treatment. Far more common than we think. Brave  to come out with it publically

Totally agree, I'm not too proud to say that playing rugby saved my life & those teammates (& family & friends) closest to me know that.

Hope this paves the way for more people to come out & let people know it is ok not to be ok.
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2018 at 4:20pm
I'd like to wish Tom all the best and hope to see him making a full recovery.
SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2018 at 4:56pm
Very brave of him to come out and say so and I’m sure I can safely say he’ll have lots of support from the rugby community.
Get well soon Tom.
NeylandAllBlack View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NeylandAllBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2018 at 5:52pm
Very brave of him. Depression is an awful disease, wish him all the best.
saundersfootscarlets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote saundersfootscarlets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2018 at 6:04pm
All the best Tom , hopefully good wishes such as those above will help him out of a difficult time.
saundersfoot scarlets
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2018 at 6:40pm
I'm sure we've all felt down at times, sometimes for long periods, but depression is a completely different level to the 'blues' that pretty much everyone feels from time to time.

Very best wishes to Tom - hope that with the help he's been given that he can overcome this sooner rather than later - and that he can keep the condition at arm's length in the future.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2018 at 7:35pm
Hats off to Fscarlet.

Also, wish Tom well in his recent recovery.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2018 at 7:53pm

Best Wishes to Tom with his recovery .
Matthew Cardey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Matthew Cardey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2018 at 10:08pm
Quite refreshing to see this illness being treated and discussed like any other. all the best tom james.
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2018 at 10:48am
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

Totally agree, I'm not too proud to say that playing rugby saved my life & those teammates (& family & friends) closest to me know that.

Hope this paves the way for more people to come out & let people know it is ok not to be ok.
This in buckets ClapClapClapClapClapClap
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2018 at 10:49am
Tom James has announced on social media that he is returning to play for the Blues & will be present at pre-season training.

Great news! I know, from experience, that it will never go away but it sounds like the break has done him good, will be good to see him back on the pitch.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic