Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tom Prydie

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 12:26pm
Well done, indeed - came sooner than I expected!
I share no-one's ideas. I have my own.
(Ivan Turgenev)
Sponsored Links

PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 12:51pm
Da iawn wir.

Shame for Lewis Rawlins. Feel he is better than Sam Beard (and Cory Hill).
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

Da iawn wir.

Beard seems to be treading water.

Hill did OK in the 6N, and is reckoned to be a bit of a leader/thinking player in the squad, so I'm happy enough with his selection. Beard will have to step up to convince us that he's better than Rawlins, though.
(Ivan Turgenev)
Rich (Bris) View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich (Bris) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 1:30pm
Needs to be remembered that you are bound to look better playing for us than for Dragons at the moment.
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

Da iawn wir.

Beard seems to be treading water.

Hill did OK in the 6N, and is reckoned to be a bit of a leader/thinking player in the squad, so I'm happy enough with his selection. Beard will have to step up to convince us that he's better than Rawlins, though.

According to Gatland "Hill is the most improved player in Wales over the last 18 months."

Also "Looking to give Amos a chance at 15 & also providing Tom Prydie with an opportunity".
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 2:10pm
Agree with the sentiments that Hill deserves his place, but that Beard shouldn't be in front of Rawlins.
Rawlins has much more fire than Beard, especially in the contact area and the timing of his tackles are truly perfect, catching the ball carrier, almost always, just off-balance and dumping him well behind the gain line. I sometimes wonder whether Beard would be anywhere near the Welsh side if he was 2 inches shorter but carried the same weight.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

Agree with the sentiments that Hill deserves his place, but that Beard shouldn't be in front of Rawlins.
Rawlins has much more fire than Beard, especially in the contact area and the timing of his tackles are truly perfect, catching the ball carrier, almost always, just off-balance and dumping him well behind the gain line. I sometimes wonder whether Beard would be anywhere near the Welsh side if he was 2 inches shorter but carried the same weight.

Beard certainly has the raw materials but so does Thornton and that doesn't seem to have worked. Lewis is a very underrated player but maybe just too small for Gatland. 
Sandman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sandman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 2:19pm
Congratulations to Prydie. I’m not one of his biggest fans, but in fairness to him I thought he played very well last Saturday. Especially when you consider how long he’s been off for. He was also pure class in the away game in Bath.
Only one team plays in red. (Sorry, Scarlet)
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by Rich (Bris) Rich (Bris) wrote:

Needs to be remembered that you are bound to look better playing for us than for Dragons at the moment.

Beard is with the Ospreys... or were you referring to Prydie?
(Ivan Turgenev)
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 5:24pm
He has steadily improved all season and had a quality game on saturday.
Having him and wyn jones back gives me confidence we can bounce back from the leinster debacle
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
ScarletBear View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

He has steadily improved all season and had a quality game on saturday.
Having him and wyn jones back gives me confidence we can bounce back from the leinster debacle

Same here.
We have backup strength in pretty much all positions. Our 3rd line can be ropey though.
Scarlets before Wales
Mogwen View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mogwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 8:42pm
It’s a testament to our coaching staff and his hard work to come as far as he has in less than a season. We all knew he had talent. Just shows with the correct coaching, can players can achieve their potential. Let’s see how those who have decided against joining us get on under other regions coaching systems. 🤔🤔Da iawn Tom
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 9:32am
Many on this site said what a waste it was getting Tom, and it did take him a while to get into the Scarlets game plan and thinking and ended up a Welsh squad winger at the end. The list is growing, Johnny, Bulbring, Cummins, all took time to settle and we must learn to be patient and not judge the players after a few games.

I have said my piece on recruitment a few times and I firmly believe that the coaches have a knack of getting players with talent, and moulding them.

When you look at Tom in his last few games with the Dragons, he looked a lost player, and last Saturday he was everywhere and what I liked was his aggregation when he was held back, showed he cared and regardless of the player involved he showed him how agree he was.

All we now need is a Welsh qualified No 8, and another second row and we'll have a full side of CURRENT Welsh players, who would have thought that !!!
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 9:45am
Originally posted by Dai38 Dai38 wrote:

Many on this site said what a waste it was getting Tom, and it did take him a while to get into the Scarlets game plan and thinking and ended up a Welsh squad winger at the end. The list is growing, Johnny, Bulbring, Cummins, all took time to settle and we must learn to be patient and not judge the players after a few games.

I have said my piece on recruitment a few times and I firmly believe that the coaches have a knack of getting players with talent, and moulding them.

When you look at Tom in his last few games with the Dragons, he looked a lost player, and last Saturday he was everywhere and what I liked was his aggregation when he was held back, showed he cared and regardless of the player involved he showed him how agree he was.

All we now need is a Welsh qualified No 8, and another second row and we'll have a full side of CURRENT Welsh players, who would have thought that !!!

Tom really did take some games to get going as opposed to say Asquith who seemed to hit the ground running. However Tom's confidence has been eroded over many years with both the Ospreys & Dragons. Our coaching group seem excellent at firstly identifying the talent and then giving the player the confidence to perform and improve. 

I am looking forward to seeing Tom Price next September. He has been a work in progress for a while but he is now getting into his prime as a front 5 forward and by all accounts has bulked up again. At 6 foot 8 he is a big unit who could easily carry 120 kgs +.
saundersfootscarlets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saundersfootscarlets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 9:55am
Originally posted by Dai38 Dai38 wrote:

Good posts , like you wasn't impressed by Tom at all at first but he really came through earlier this year and while he has been out for A while now played well again on Saturday.
saundersfoot scarlets
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 10:10am
I have always thought he was a good squad player but has improved and started to play his best rugby.
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic